7fh3498f

RPi3B+ and watchdog...

Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:53 am

Hi guys

i have been looking for instructions how setup properly built in watchdog in RPi3B+ but i cannot find these kind of informations on internet. All of them seems to be for older models. Anybody could kindly point me to the place where i can find instruction for Raspberry Pi 3 Model B + and how to setup watchdog properly? Thank you.

7fh3498f

Re: RPi3B+ and watchdog...

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Anybody guys?

epoch1970

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm

What makes you think anything has changed?
There is no change related to 3B+ in the source tree for watchdog in the Raspbian repo, and google seems very quiet, too.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

7fh3498f

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:29 pm

Solution:

Code: Select all

modprobe bcm2835_wdt
echo "bcm2835_wdt" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

apt-get install watchdog
update-rc.d watchdog defaults

nano /etc/watchdog.conf
Uncomment:

#watchdog-device
#max-load-1
Add:

watchdog-timeout = 15
Save, reboot, test by command:

:(){ :|:& };:

7fh3498f

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:30 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 pm
What makes you think anything has changed?
There is no change related to 3B+ in the source tree for watchdog in the Raspbian repo, and google seems very quiet, too.
Just this one little thing:

bcm2835_wdt

7fh3498f

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:36 pm

One thing still bothers me...

Anybody knows if

watchdog-timeout = 15
value can be greater than 15? Found some articles where people were saying it cannot be nothing else than 15. Any clues guys?

epoch1970

Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 pm

What do you mean?
The name for this linux driver hasn't changed in ages because the driver has worked across many releases of hardware.
bcm2835_wdt is also the name of the linux driver on the "old" Pi 3.

(No 15 sec is the max timeout, your code has to write at 7-10 sec interval to be safe. There are a few threads related to setting up watchdog in this forum.)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

7fh3498f

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:04 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 pm
What do you mean?
The name for this linux driver hasn't changed in ages because the driver has worked across many releases of hardware.
bcm2835_wdt is also the name of the linux driver on the "old" Pi 3.

(No 15 sec is the max timeout, your code has to write at 7-10 sec interval to be safe. There are a few threads related to setting up watchdog in this forum.)
I found many articles where bcm2708_wdog was used to configure Watchdog. Anyway... thanks for you reply.

gdt

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:00 pm

The watchdog and random number generator seem to be built into the kernel in recent Raspbian (eg, Linux kernel build 4.14.79-v7+ #1159) , so no module needs to be loaded.

Simply edit /etc/systemd/system.conf to include "RuntimeWatchdogSec=14".

Barabba

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi mates, I?ve some questions too, sorry I'm a newbie here.. thanks for support

So I'll write this to console:
modprobe bcm2835_wdt
echo "bcm2835_wdt" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
apt-get install watchdog
update-rc.d watchdog defaults

1) question: I read somewhere the watchdog service is already installed and running as default, is it wrong? Maybe this installation is additional one to use watchdog from user?

Then:
nano /etc/watchdog.conf
uncomment #watchdog-device
uncomment #max-load-1
and add: watchdog-timeout = 15

Save, reboot, test by command:
2) what this command does exactly?

3) Now how can I manage watchdog? I mean.. I want to test some TCP ports on loopback 127.0.0.1 if they still responsive (open), and maybe to test a file contents if it's changing. How to do that?
4) As installed on this way, how this watchdog is "reloading" within 15seconds?

Than you a lot!

Barabba

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:21 pm

SOmebody else told to do that:
In /boot/config.txt add/change:

watchdog=on

In /etc/systemd/systemd.conf, change #RuntimeWatchdogSec= to:

RuntimeWatchdogSec=10s

so what config file should be changed?

epoch1970

Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Barabba wrote:

watchdog=on

RuntimeWatchdogSec=10s

This options is a good one. The 1st instructions you posted certainly date a few years back, they are obsolete indeed.

epoch1970

Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Barabba wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi mates, I?ve some questions too, sorry I'm a newbie here.. thanks for support
Some additional comments hopefully answering Q. 2 to 4.

The general principle of a watchdog.
  • The logic is that if some machine ceases working OK, restarting it will solve the problem until next time.
  • To achieve this, the device that restarts the machine must be very unlikely to fail itself. This is the watchdog hardware device included in the Pi (and any modern computers). The hardware watchdog is designed to reset the machine, and it fails closed: if it has been activated and something is not quite right, you get an instant reset (restart.)
  • So there is need for another part tasked with preventing restart; that part runs within the environment you wish to validate it is working OK. This watchdog manager is a reliable program running in the OS. If the OS fails, that program ceases to indicate "all is right", so the hardware watchdog closes and the machine reboots.
Some implementation concerns.
  • On the Pi, the hardware watchdog has a (fixed?) timeout of 15 seconds. The watchdog manager tells it everything is still OK by writing to /dev/watchdog at least every 15 secs. Both parts of the system run completely independently: they don't start at the same time, the hardware part counts elapsed time very accurately while the OS is a bit wobbly, it schedules many tasks and there is no guarantee repetitive tasks are timed perfectly. So to be sure the watchdog manager hits the hardware watchdog within its 15 secs time window in nominal conditions, it should write (at least) at twice that rate, every 7 secs.
  • Before systemd existed, the "linux watchdog", a small and well written C program, was used to act as watchdog manager. The "Linux watchdog" program is still around, but now systemd implements communication with the hardware watchdog, so it is simpler to use it on Linux OSes that run systemd, as Raspbian does.
  • Since the watchdog is basically a time bomb, not everybody wants one ticking in their machines... The hardware device doesn't start counting down until the first write to /dev/watchdog has happened. This is what setting "RuntimeWatchdogSec" does in systemd.conf; if it is not zero, systemd will write at twice the indicated rate and the time bomb will start ticking.
  • The boot process itself, before systemd has started, is normally not under surveillance by the watchdog. Changing that behaviour is complicated and not a good idea, unless your Pi is a stand-alone appliance mandated to boot in much less than 15 seconds.
    Declaring "watchdog=on" in config.txt merely exposes the watchdog device to the OS, it does not activate it. For many years now, the watchdog driver module has been inlined in the Raspbian kernel, there is no module to load.
See Lennart Poettering's explanation of how systemd's watchdog manager works here: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/watchdog

Using it in your applications.
  • Defining "RuntimeWatchdogSec" basically guarantees that once systemd has started, if systemd fails, you get a reboot. This is what the "fork bomb" shell script above tests: it is a runaway loop that quickly makes the OS crumble under its own load.
  • Since total OS failure is a condition too broad/unlikely to be useful, you can configure the watchdog manager to check for application-specific conditions, and stop writing to /dev/watchdog when conditions are no longer met. With this, the OS can still be running fine, but you command reboot because some user application deemed critical has failed.
    As presented in the second half of Poeterring's paper, that configuration is done by adding keywords like "WatchdogSec=", "Restart=", "Start-Limit-Action=" etc. in the systemd unit of said critical applications.
  • Within the application, provision has to be made for regular calls to the sd_notify library function provided by systemd: if the application calls sd_notify within the "WatchdogSec" delay, then systemd continues to write to /dev/watchdog every half of RuntimeWatchdogSec. If the applications fails to call sd_notify, systemd might restart the application, and after enough failed attempts it will execute the configured Start-Limit-Action, set to reboot the machine most probably.
Using it with any application.
  • If you want to harness a simple shell script, or a program not designed to call sd_notify, you can use systemd's systemd-notify CLI utility. Call "systemd-notify WATCHDOG=1" from a shell script and systemd will be able to monitor that script (assuming it is started via a properly configured systemd unit file, e.g. Type=notify)
  • For any external program, you can simply create a simple shell wrapper designed to start said program and test some condition regularly. If tests fail, stop notifying and what's defined in the wrapper's unit file will be executed.
A complete example here: https://www.medo64.com/2019/01/systemd- ... y-service/
(NB: there is a slight glitch in it, I think. Program /opt/test/test.sh, line 5 should read "/opt/test/application &" instead of "/opt/test/service &")

HTH

FlashT

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:48 am

Can't make watchdog daemon to start automatically... any ideas?

:~ $ sudo update-rc.d watchdog defaults
insserv: script mysql: service mysql already provided!
after reboot watchdog status is:

● watchdog.service - watchdog daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/watchdog.service; static)
   Active: inactive (dead)

bilaliz

Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Say hello to another noob lol .. so this is all what we need to do to enable watchdog? and then

to test?
epoch1970 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:45 pm
Barabba wrote:

watchdog=on

RuntimeWatchdogSec=10s

This options is a good one. The 1st instructions you posted certainly date a few years back, they are obsolete indeed.

Return to “Beginners”