richlion2

Re: Cheap SD Cards from eBay are Fake

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:58 am

You may add these kind of products, just with the release of the new Raspberry PI 3 B+ you already see cases that are supposed to be compatible:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clear-Acryli ... %7Ciid%3A1

THis is the description:
Features:
Raspberry Pi 9 Layers Acrylic Case Transparent Box Enclosure Cover Shell + RPI CPU Cooling Fan for Raspberry Pi 3 / 2 / B+
Not only does the new RPI not fit, it was supposed to come with heat sinks - it did not. The fan was dead. I asked if it could be replaced and they offered me a 30% refund.

The main point is that I asked them to amend the description from 3 B+ back to 3 B, if correct in any way. Next Monday if this does not happen they will get a negative rating. I never up till now had to do that, now I will. Although they did not claim it's from the UK.

i486

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:05 pm

supra wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:34 am
WARNINGS Cheap SD Cards from eBay are Fake. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2018/ ... ebay-fake/
Amazing discovery.
richlion2 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:58 am
The main point is that I asked them to amend the description from 3 B+ back to 3 B.
The description is RPi 3 / 2 / B+ which does not mean 3B+ but 1B+. Or maybe you can decide that exists version 32B+.

i486

Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 pm

supra wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:16 pm
@i486
Only from China. Those are dropshippers. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Be careful 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Why you expect that 128 GB SD card for 6 GBP with title "128" without "GB" - only 128 (bytes?), without brand, without SDXC, without speed class CAN BE something other than fake? I can say not "be careful" but "don't be stupid". 6 GBP is too cheap price for 32 GB not for 64/128.

fanoush

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm

I use such fake cards in Pi when booting from USB or for smaller baremetal/ultibo projects or for OpenWRT/LEDE. I bought '8GB' and '4GB' ones so that they are SDHC. One could also get smaller 128/256/512MB micoSD/TF cards for cheap for such usage and they are often not fake but then they are not SDHC so they often don't work. At least the smaller non-SDHC ones I tried did not boot in the Pi. Also they are useful for small arduino or FPGA projects when one needs just couple tenths of megabytes. With careful partition setup they work just fine for light usage as far as the partition covers just the part on the beginning of the card which is backed by real flash memory. What is also positive about them is that they are free after refund which so far always worked for me. And the seller is kind of punished for selling fake card since he pays for the shipping and needs to refund all the money so that is another plus and hopefully discourages them a bit to sell fake stuff :-)

i486

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm

One thing is 4/8GB SD card from No-Name brand or 512MB old card - another thing is pseudo 128 GB fake card. It is fraud but in fact there is no "GB" text on card and eBay looks only for false description not misleading text. For example, there are cables with VGA and HDMI connectors on both ends that are not VGA-HDMI converters (which require MCU and is not simple). Everybody looks the title and picture and is sure that this is a converter. But in the description the seller writes "this is only a cable with connectors" and for that reason eBay do not block them. In this case there is no SD card text and no 128GB. You buy something like SD card which is "128" - this can be a serial number, model or street address.

bensimmo

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:29 pm

Welcome to the modern internet were laws and society don't matter.
I long for the days when countries remove our freedom and bring it back under local society control and can implement our social responsibility laws.

Long gone are the days where freedom of the internet was a good idea.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Cheap SD Cards from eBay are sometimes Fake

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 pm

All I can suggest is that you buy from reputable suppliers if you want something that works to your requirements.

Meanwhile, to prevent this turning flamey, I think I'll lock it - the points have been made.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”