fruitbox

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi Markal,

When you run fruitbox with the --config-buttons option it will configure all GPIO pins to be inputs whilst configuring, with pull-ups. After it quits, it attempts to restore the GPIO pins to the state before configuration but as it can't determine pull-up state before configuration it may well leave the pins in a different state after configuration. So if you have an audio board which uses GPIO it's operation may be affected until you reboot (or preferably power cycle) after which it should all work ok, unless some of your button GPIO are using some of the GPIO which your audio board needs? Also for fruitbox to pick up button mappings, the file "fruitbox.btn" has to be in the same place as where you run fruitbox from. If you still have problems don't hesitate to reply and we'll try and get to the bottom of the problem together...

Mike

Markal

Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks Mike

I have looked at the Hi-Fi Berry website and managed to find the following information.

HIFIBERRY DAC+, DIGI+ AND AMP+
GPIO2-3 (pins 3 and 5) are used. I2C,
GPIOs 18-21 (pins 12, 35, 38 and 40) are used for the sound interface. You can’t use them for any other purpose.

On the HiFiBerry Digi+, GPIO16 is also reserved.

On the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro GPIOs 5 and 6 are also use and cannot be used for anything else.

So some of my buttons are using reserved pins, namely the 1, 2, A keys.

I have refitted them, and hope that I can get away with using the GPIO 16 and 5 & 6 as I only have the DAC+. Sorry for anyone with the Digi+ Digi+ pro as they are not going to have any spare GPIOs to operate even the basic requirements from what I can see as there are literally no more spare GPIO pins so I am not going to be able to do a power down button or a random play button which I have hoped to use.

So now I have the following GPIO pins used

Left - 22
Right - 17
Jump left - 4
Jump Right - 23
1 - 25
2 - 24
3 - 13
4 - 12
A - 27
B - 16
C - 26
D - 6
E - 5

Again, The

sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons

sets up and writes the file. I can go in and sudo nano the file and all the information is there in the rpi-fruitbox-master directory.

If I do a DIR, it lists the files and I can see Fruitbox.btn.

Funny thing is that I have just now noticed is that when I reboot, that fruitbox.btn file is no longer there. DIR shows it has gone. I also notice that, when scrolling through the previous commands typed in, it has not saved any of the new commands, only the old ones from other sessions so I am wondering if the button.cfg file is not being saved to the memory card.

Tried sync but that does nothing. I reboot correctly using sudo reboot so not sure why it has gone pear shaped.

I am going to try and make up a new card and test that. I think it may be a corrupted card.

If that works, and I can find the time, i may try and salvage the old card and update it to Fruitbox 1.11

Markal

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 am

Yup, fraid so. My memory card is as corrupt that our old President!

I have copied a back up I made (Thank heavens) to a new sd card, plugged it in, run the config buttons, rebooted and it is written to the sd card this time. Now when I boot up, everything works including the audio. Yay

Now, Mike, what do you recommend for a safe way to power off? I seem to have no more GPIO pins I can use, or is there another way to do a safe power off without having to leave the keyboard connected which sort of spoils the whole jukebox look?

fruitbox

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 am

Markal wrote:

I have copied a back up I made (Thank heavens) to a new sd card, plugged it in, run the config buttons, rebooted and it is written to the sd card this time. Now when I boot up, everything works including the audio. Yay

Now, Mike, what do you recommend for a safe way to power off? I seem to have no more GPIO pins I can use, or is there another way to do a safe power off without having to leave the keyboard connected which sort of spoils the whole jukebox look?
Hi Markal,

If you aren't tied to a particular look on your jukebox then you can reduce the number of select buttons by modifying the "SelectKeys" setting in the skin configuration file...The first two characters specify the digit range for the first select button press, and the third and fourth characters the second button press. For example, if SelectKeys = 1413, then your select codes would follow the sequence 11,12,13,21,22,23,31,32,33,41,42,43. Of course you can define letters as well (I.e. SelectKeys = ADAE). So if you just chose numbers for example you could potentially free up buttons A through E and use their GPIO for other buttons (such as ButtonPowerOff). If you want to see what select codes fruitbox has assigned each song entry, just run fruitbox including the --debug-song-nums command line option.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Have you considered using the LeftAlpha and RightAlpha buttons instead of LeftJump etc - these move by alphabetical song / artist rather than a set number of pages?

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:47 am
Markal wrote:

Hi Markal,

If you aren't tied to a particular look on your jukebox then you can reduce the number of select buttons by modifying the "SelectKeys" setting in the skin configuration file...The first two characters specify the digit range for the first select button press, and the third and fourth characters the second button press. For example, if SelectKeys = 1413, then your select codes would follow the sequence 11,12,13,21,22,23,31,32,33,41,42,43. Of course you can define letters as well (I.e. SelectKeys = ADAE). So if you just chose numbers for example you could potentially free up buttons A through E and use their GPIO for other buttons (such as ButtonPowerOff). If you want to see what select codes fruitbox has assigned each song entry, just run fruitbox including the --debug-song-nums command line option.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Have you considered using the LeftAlpha and RightAlpha buttons instead of LeftJump etc - these move by alphabetical song / artist rather than a set number of pages?
Hello Markal,

If you don't mind doing a little programming of your own, you could use something like the Teensy 3.2. It can emulate a USB keyboard (and mouse, and serial port). You would use that as your GPIO then and send commands to Fruitbox via USB. I'm using the Teensy as a decoder for a Seeburg Wall-O-Matic 100 which then sends the selection to Fruitbox. I'm also using the Teensy to collect the various button presses and send them to Fruitbox as well via USB. My plan is to simply send the proper keystokes to the Pi to shutdown Fruitbox and then cause the Pi to gracefully shut down. I should add that my project is still very much a work in progress, but the bit about sending various commands to the Pi via USB has been tested and it works well.

If you're less adventurous and can handle a soldering iron, you could find yourself an old USB keyboard to play with. Simply rip it apart and use the encoder in it. Wire your switches to the points what would have been the letters and numbers you want to use. Plug that into the Pi, and there you go. Instant extra GPIO on the Pi.

Lastly, I have looked for and found USB keyboard emulators, that they are terribly expensive so in my opinion not even an option. But I mention them for the sake of completeness.

If you decide to explore the Teensy option, I'd be happy to send you a sample sketch to get you started. I can also point you to the websites you might need to set up your Arduino environment which is what you would use to program the Teensy.

BTW: I'm using the DAC+ as well. It's a great addition to the Pi.

Cheers,
Steve

Markal

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks for the input Mike and Steve.

I am tied to a look i am afraid as we have gone to great pains to make up a set of buttons for the front of the duke box. Reverse engraved perspex. Your idea is sound though and very clever, I did not think of going the route of using 11,21,31,41 etc to limit it to 4 or 5 buttons. That will definitely work though.

It was only while setting up the buttons that I came across the AlphaLeft etc terms so will definitely investigate that, but perhaps for version two. As I say, we have already machined and painted the perspex, fitted the buttons and wired them up. I cannot see myself undoing all that work in a hurry so think I would prefer to investigate alternative options of expanding the keyboard.

Steve, I love your idea of manipulating an old usb keyboard, and I think that will be my first port of call, Cheap as chips so appeals to my thriftiness. I have never heard of a Teensy, but looking it up it looks like the next alternative although i can see a learning curve there for the programming etc. Also I can buy 6 Pi Zeros for the same money as a Teensy but will investigate that for future projects.

Mike, Have you ever considered doing combinations of buttons? i.e. simultaneous pressing of A + Page Right = power reset or B + Jump Right = Random Play or combinations of that sort?. Would that be a viable feature to program in? Or does the Pi not work like that?

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:22 pm

Markal wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:09 pm
Thanks for the input Mike and Steve.

I am tied to a look i am afraid as we have gone to great pains to make up a set of buttons for the front of the duke box. Reverse engraved perspex. Your idea is sound though and very clever, I did not think of going the route of using 11,21,31,41 etc to limit it to 4 or 5 buttons. That will definitely work though.

It was only while setting up the buttons that I came across the AlphaLeft etc terms so will definitely investigate that, but perhaps for version two. As I say, we have already machined and painted the perspex, fitted the buttons and wired them up. I cannot see myself undoing all that work in a hurry so think I would prefer to investigate alternative options of expanding the keyboard.

Steve, I love your idea of manipulating an old usb keyboard, and I think that will be my first port of call, Cheap as chips so appeals to my thriftiness. I have never heard of a Teensy, but looking it up it looks like the next alternative although i can see a learning curve there for the programming etc. Also I can buy 6 Pi Zeros for the same money as a Teensy but will investigate that for future projects.

Mike, Have you ever considered doing combinations of buttons? i.e. simultaneous pressing of A + Page Right = power reset or B + Jump Right = Random Play or combinations of that sort?. Would that be a viable feature to program in? Or does the Pi not work like that?
I often forget that different items are more expensive in some places than others. Around here the Teensy 3.2 is about twice the price of the PI zero. And if you do decide to look at that option, there are several different versions of the Teensy. The 3.2 is just the lowest and least expensive version that supports the USB keyboard emulation. There may be some other Arduino or clone that will do the same thing. I just happened to settle on the Teensy.

fruitbox

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi Markal

I will look into the possibility of adding button combos....hopefully shouldn't be to difficult.

Mike

klaus.raspberry

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi all,

is use a PI 3 Model B integrated in a wooden case 1*) 40cm*20cm*10cm.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=22171

In the case i placed the pi, a sensor to measure the case temperature, some buttons (A-E,1-4,left,right,left jump, right jump, shutdown), a LCD Display (displays the Date, temperature of CPU and temperature of the case) and the loudspeakers.

If i'm running Pi Desktop, play music in a terminal window with mpg123 and run e.g. the taskmanager, the temperature of the case is 26 degrees, the CPU temperature is 55 degrees.

If i run fruitbox (1.10) the temperature of the case is also 26 degrees but the CPU temperature goes up to 79 degrees. I know that the pi is specified untill 80 degrees, but in my opinion the life would than be shorter...

@Mike
Could you explain this?

@All
Has anybody else made the same experience? What will happen if i run the jukebox several hours?

Regards Bernd

P.s. 1* Before it was used to store a "Dresdner Stollen" . That is a german christmas fruitcake ;)
Attachments
bernd_80.jpg
bernd_80.jpg (152.14 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

karrika

Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:52 am

This is what happens with bad cooling. You need to get the heat to transfer out of the chip. With the Flirc case the case is conductive and the heat is transferred to the entire case heating it up. In an optimum system the heat is spread evenly and the CPU is at case temperature.
Full screen GPU takes a lot of power.

Markal

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:16 am

Hi Klaus.Raspberry

We have been running the Fruitbox software with audio board for a month or so now and yes, the raspberry 3 does get hot, but it does not seem to have had any ill effect.

Fruitbox normally runs for 3 - 4 hours at a time every time we Braai (barbecue) which is most Friday nights and we have never experienced "throttling back" which is what will happen if the heat reaches a critical level. Yesterday, we managed to get the gpio pins working for the new keyboard and fruitbox ran continually from about 1.00pm until about 8.00pm

From what I have read, the raspberry 3 has internal protection if the worst should happen and it will reduce its clock speed to reduce the cpu load of what ever is running and thus control the temperature.

In my opinion it does not hurt though to fit a small heatsink to assist the fan in dispelling any heat. I think this a sensible precaution and I am surprised that they are not recommended. They cost 1 pound so hardly going to break the bank. A fan without that heatsink is unlikely to do much. You are right though. prolonged excess heat would cook the Pi so a little precaution is good.

I believe that you also need to be careful about the power supply you are using, as if it is not up to spec, this can reduce the efficiency of the throttling back and make the Pi more unstable.

The Pi 2 runs much cooler as it is not running the same clock speeds etc, so don't compare the 3 with the 2, they are different animals.

From what I have read, the Pi3 models are capable of running at 85 degree Celsius, and can handle spikes up to 100. Some say it has been tested at 125 C. I doubt very much running the fruitbox software will stress the cpu to any sort of limit to make these temperatures a reality.

Just my take on it. Enjoy your jukebox.

bernyone

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:32 pm

Hi Mike

Long time no chat

Hopefully this is a really simply rectified issue,

When in autoplay is there a way to play the next track on the database rather than a random track?

I have my database organised by genre and it jumping from dancehall reggae to slow rock n roll is a bit of a mood killer lol

Cheers

Jon

fruitbox

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:34 pm

bernyone wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:32 pm
Hi Mike

Long time no chat

Hopefully this is a really simply rectified issue,

When in autoplay is there a way to play the next track on the database rather than a random track?

I have my database organised by genre and it jumping from dancehall reggae to slow rock n roll is a bit of a mood killer lol

Cheers

Jon
Hi Jon

There's no way to jump to next track, but you can configure fruitbox to chose a random song from a particular genre.

In the skin config file, add one or more entries called AutoGenre. Then the ButtonAuto no longer simply turns auto mode off or on, but cycles through the Genres you have specified, for example...

Code: Select all

AutoGenre=Rock
...will only chose a random song with an MP3 genre tag equal to Rock. You can display the Genre that fruitbox will select a random song from by using the $AUTO_GENRE variable in a status box.

Alternatively, you could create a playlist using the --save-playlist and --load-playlist command line options; run up fruitbox with the --save-playlist argument, then add songs to the play queue in the order you want. When you quit fruitbox, the play queue and currently playing song will be written to the file you specified with --save-playlist. Next time you run fruitbox, specify this file using the --load-playlist option and the queue will be loaded with those songs. You may want to increase the default play queue size using the MaxPlaylistLength skin parameter, and perhaps turn on loop mode using the LoopPlaylist skin parameter...

Check out the user guide and have a play, but if it's not clear, just ask!

Cheers,
Mike

RainbowJuke

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:42 am

Hi everybody the way to gain more input keys is to purchase a USB wired numeric keypad. Take out the printed circuit board solder led to opposite side of board. Attach it to a piece of vero board with a 10 way 0.1 header, connect wires to the column and row pads to the header. A rainbow wire connects the header to your switches, another header can be fitted to connect to switches not used on the front of the jukebox i.e: volume, mute, clear queue and powerdown to the back of the jukebox. If you then obtain a wireless numeric keypad plug in the USB receiver, relabel the keypads you will have a 17 key remote control. Don’t use Num Lock as the code is used by the number keys that output a three code run. The wireless remote could be wired into the switches of a wallbox to give you wireless wallbox with a hideaway Raspberry Pi close to your hi fi system.

Hi Mike I am wanting to convert my three DWjukes to Raspberry Pi but I have a problem with song key mapping on the pages. The skin as column 1 and 2 and ABCDE rows i.e.:

A1 A2 the song key mapping I get is A1 C2
B1 B2 A2 D1
C1 C2 B1 D2
D1 D2 B2 E1
E1 E2 C1 E2

The only two that are correct are A1 and E2, have I missed something in config that solves this problem.
Also is there any chance of adding dissolve between pages.
This program just gets better thanks Mike.
Unable to load more than 3 jpg will download more if needed for info.
RainbowJuke
Attachments
Splat02.jpg
Splat02.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
Splat01.jpg
Splat01.jpg (170.3 KiB) Viewed 2607 times
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (110.8 KiB) Viewed 2607 times

fruitbox

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Hi RainbowJuke

I'm assuming you have defined just two pages, each with 5 songs on? If you define 10 pages instead (each with one song on) you can then position them anywhere you like relative to each other so you can then get the song select codes in the places you like (remember to use the --debug-song-nums command line option whilst debugging...)

I can add page dissolve, as long as it's something simple like fade/blend and not the random speckling effect...

EDIT: regarding the select code sequence; I will look into maybe adding a new skin config parameter which will allow you to change the code order (from first=row, second=column as it is now, to first=column, second=row, which will give you the order you need).

Cheers,
Mike
Last edited by fruitbox on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rholstrom

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:46 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:46 pm
Hello Markal,

If you don't mind doing a little programming of your own, you could use something like the Teensy 3.2. It can emulate a USB keyboard (and mouse, and serial port). You would use that as your GPIO then and send commands to Fruitbox via USB. I'm using the Teensy as a decoder for a Seeburg Wall-O-Matic 100 which then sends the selection to Fruitbox. I'm also using the Teensy to collect the various button presses and send them to Fruitbox as well via USB. My plan is to simply send the proper keystokes to the Pi to shutdown Fruitbox and then cause the Pi to gracefully shut down. I should add that my project is still very much a work in progress, but the bit about sending various commands to the Pi via USB has been tested and it works well.

If you're less adventurous and can handle a soldering iron, you could find yourself an old USB keyboard to play with. Simply rip it apart and use the encoder in it. Wire your switches to the points what would have been the letters and numbers you want to use. Plug that into the Pi, and there you go. Instant extra GPIO on the Pi.

Lastly, I have looked for and found USB keyboard emulators, that they are terribly expensive so in my opinion not even an option. But I mention them for the sake of completeness.

If you decide to explore the Teensy option, I'd be happy to send you a sample sketch to get you started. I can also point you to the websites you might need to set up your Arduino environment which is what you would use to program the Teensy.

BTW: I'm using the DAC+ as well. It's a great addition to the Pi.

Cheers,
Steve
To All,

I just saw this post and have been working on making a 1953 AMI W-120 Wallbox run via Fruitbox. It has single selector keys per song and will be using a Arduino Due as a keyboard simulator. I have over 45 GPIOs used on the Due. The Due will also take care of proper power up and down sequences. If no key is pressed within 1 hour the display will go off and will wait for any button to be pressed to turn the display back on. After 6 hours of non use it will send a power down to the Raspberry Pie. The white back light for the coin will start to blink red telling shut down is happening and once the Raspberry Pi is shut down the Du will turn off power to display and Pi. The red light stop blinking and green light will be seen telling that it is safe to unplug the unit. The Due will also sit there while green waiting for any button press and if pressed will power and boot the Pi while red light tell of a power up and then start Fruitbox. When initially plugged it the Due will run it's routine also to start the Fruitbox software. Once booted the red light will turn off and white leds will light the back lighted coin slot. The audio board used is a HiFiBerry BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier used as a bi-amp. Separate speakers for bass and treble with digital crossover done by BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier. I found very limited GPIO availability with using the BEOCREATE 4-Channel Amplifier so I needed to figure out another solution which is the Arduino Due as Keyboard simulator, power up / down sequencer, with Coin backlight indication.

I also have built in center paddle to access the page left & right similar to the way the AMI Wallbox was originally used and also have left & right sort paddle on the side to get around faster. The button levers and selector buttons behind the scenes is done with 3d printed plastic parts. The old mechanical selector mechanism will be resold as parts if one wants to restore a unit to original condition.

The 11" display in the AMI Wallbox is sideways with custom graphics from a photo of actual parts from a Wallbox. I hope to be done with the unit by Early May 2018 and will then post all the work required to convert a AMI W-120 Wallbox with Fruitbox.

So far the project is coming out well with the great work that was done by Chundermike as a basis for the project!

Below is the actual unit I started out with before I cleaned it up.

- REH
Last edited by rholstrom on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RainbowJuke

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi Thanks for tip on 10 pages, works a treat. In reply to crossfade the simpler the better, a wipe does not look right on this skin. Trying to get away from old jukebox page styles. The photo is from the Splat USB button conversion and remote control.
Regards RainbowJuke
Attachments
Splat10.jpg
Splat10.jpg (153.27 KiB) Viewed 2492 times

fruitbox

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:12 pm

RainbowJuke wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:48 pm
Hi Thanks for tip on 10 pages, works a treat. In reply to crossfade the simpler the better, a wipe does not look right on this skin. Trying to get away from old jukebox page styles. The photo is from the Splat USB button conversion and remote control.
Regards RainbowJuke
Hi
No problem I will add page fade in the next release. Just so you know, if you set the page move speed to zero, the pages will change instantly so bypassing the move effect...

...and any chance of sharing your skins ;)

Cheers,
Mike

GeoffB

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:35 pm

Help! I have been using fruitbox with a standard monitor for a while and have always managed to solve any problems I have by reading the forum posts but now I'm a bit stuck and may have become blinkered.

My problem is that I have just bought an Official Raspberry Pi touch screen but in fruitbox (TouchOne skin) the touchscreen is not working. I tried all the usual checks to ensure the the FT5406 driver was loaded. Everything checked out OK.

I decided to create another card using the full Rasbian Stretch image. On boot I went to the desktop to test the touchscreen and everything worked fine. At this point I decided to install fruitbox and it's dependancies I added a few mp3's to my music folder and ran fruitbox with the following command.

./fruitbox --cfg skins/TouchOne/fruitbox.cfg

no response from the touchscreen so I tried

./fruitbox --cfg skins/TouchOne/fruitbox.cfg --touch_device FT5406

still no joy.

I exited fruitbox and ran startx to get to the Desktop and the touchscreen worked fine. when I exit the Desktop to the CLI and run fruitbox again, still no response from the touchscreen.

I'm obviously missing something here but I can't think what.

fruitbox

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 pm

GeoffB wrote:
Help! I have been using fruitbox with a standard monitor for a while and have always managed to solve any problems I have by reading the forum posts but now I'm a bit stuck and may have become blinkered.

My problem is that I have just bought an Official Raspberry Pi touch screen but in fruitbox (TouchOne skin) the touchscreen is not working. I tried all the usual checks to ensure the the FT5406 driver was loaded. Everything checked out OK.

I decided to create another card using the full Rasbian Stretch image. On boot I went to the desktop to test the touchscreen and everything worked fine. At this point I decided to install fruitbox and it's dependancies I added a few mp3's to my music folder and ran fruitbox with the following command.

still no joy.

I exited fruitbox and ran startx to get to the Desktop and the touchscreen worked fine. when I exit the Desktop to the CLI and run fruitbox again, still no response from the touchscreen.

Hi GeoffB

Have you configured the buttons for touch?

If not, this may help...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=188723&start=200#p1264814

Cheers,
Mike

GeoffB

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:51 am

fruitbox wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:44 pm
GeoffB wrote:

still no joy.

Hi GeoffB

Have you configured the buttons for touch?

If not, this may help...

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=188723&start=200#p1264814

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike

Thanks for that mate. I'm never at my best late at night. It's amazing how simple the solution is once somebody points it out.

regards

GeoffB

RainbowJuke

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi everybody here is a solution to enable lots of buttons on fruitbox. I had a Rii keyboard with broken keys so converted into a USB button conversion board. The keyboard matrix is 8 rows and 16 columns you can use fruitbox —-test-buttons program to test buttons. Expansion board with black ten way header (8 rows and column 5&6 will take 16 buttons. Adding another header using 8 rows and 2 different columns will give you another 16 buttons and so forth. The last photo is of a breakout for GPIO pins for the NumberOne skin but a similar board can be made up for the keyboard expansion board. This conversion will give you more buttons than fruitbox needs leaving GPIOs free.

Hi Mike about skins not sure about copyright with it being converted from DWJuke.
Attachments
Rii-Breakout.jpg
Rii-Breakout.jpg (95.73 KiB) Viewed 2421 times

GeoffB

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:33 pm

GeoffB

Another Touchscreen related query. Having managed to get my new official Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen working with Mike's help I thought that I would have a go with my 19" ELO touchscreen ( cos its easy this touchscreen lard isn't it? ) but no luck.

The touch screen seems to be loaded at boot

[    3.739651] usb 1-1.3: Product: Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Tou
chmonitor Interface
[    3.753128] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Elo TouchSystems, Inc.
[    3.763329] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 20E01681
[    3.840424] input: Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(
r) USB Touchmonitor Interface as /devices/platform/soc/20980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1
.3/1-1.3:1.0/0003:04E7:0020.0001/input/input0
[    3.873569] hid-generic 0003:04E7:0020.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.00 Poi
nter [Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmoni
tor Interface] on usb-20980000.usb-1.3/input0
and it nshows up when I do lsusb

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04e7:0020 Elo TouchSystems Touchscreen Interface (2700)
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

and also when I do Cat /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=04e7 Product=0020 Version=0100
N: Name="Elo TouchSystems, Inc. Elo TouchSystems 2700 IntelliTouch(r) USB Touchmonitor Interface"
P: Phys=usb-20980000.usb-1.3/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/20980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/0003:04E7:0020.0001/input/input0
U: Uniq=20E01681
H: Handlers=mouse0 js0 event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=1b
B: KEY=10000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=100 3
B: MSC=10
The ELO Touchscreen works fine in the Desktop but not in fruitbox. I have tried all combinations of the device name in conjunction with

sudo ./fruitbox --config-buttons --touch_device <Device Name>

i.e.--touch_device Elo --touch _device Elo TouchSystems etc etc

but I can't get any response in config-buttons when touching the screen.

Any ideas?

Regards

GeoffB

fruitbox

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi GeoffB

The command line option is

--touch-device
not

--touch_device
(I.e. minus sign not underscore). I have to apologize for this as there is a typo in the user guide, which I will correct in the next release...

Also worth noting is that if you are specifying the name with more than one word, use double quotes, I.e.

--touch-device "Elo TouchSystems"

Cheers
Mike

GeoffB

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for the fast response. in the userguide.txt that I have shows

4.9: --input_device <name>

Used in conjunction with '--config-buttons' or '--test-buttons',