cab1

pi3: how to avoid "any" radiation?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:21 am

I am desperately looking for a possibility to switch off all radiation sources (wifi, bluetooth) of the pi3.
This doesnt mean just disabling it but really having it switched off, no power consumption, no radiation.
Desoldering all radiating chips off the board would be great if possible.
The reason is simply to reduce e-smog as far as possible, and up to now I managed to avoid any in my home network.
Thanks for any help, letting me switch from pi2 to pi3 in future...
Christian

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: pi3: how to avoid "any" radiation?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 am

It's impossible to avoid all radiation sources because the whole board will be radiating at various frequencies, for example the HDMI will be radiating, the network will be radiating. There are so many sources it's impossible to stop them all.

Unless you turn it off.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mikerr

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:34 am

cab1 wrote:
I am desperately looking for a possibility to switch off all radiation sources (wifi, bluetooth) of the pi3.
This doesnt mean just disabling it but really having it switched off, no power consumption, no radiation.
If wifi and BT are disabled, then they are not using any power or radiating any RF

in config.txt :

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi,pi3-disable-bt
If you want to stop any (very) minor RF leakage from HDMI etc... then you'll have to put it in a shielded box.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

hippy

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 pm

cab1 wrote:
Looking at the CYW43438 and CYW43455 datasheets it seems you cannot have "no power consumption" without cutting the power rails and/or removing the circuitry.

I would doubt there is any circuitry on the Pi which completely disconnects power from the chip. Disabling the chips, reducing power consumption to a minimum, would be all that anyone would normally require.

And I expect it's the same for everything which is already on your network. You seem to be "desperately looking for" a solution to a problem which doesn't really exist.

Heater

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:26 pm

@mikerr,
If you want to stop any (very) minor RF leakage from HDMI etc... then you'll have to put it in a shielded box.
Yes. And that is harder to get right than one might first think. Just for fun I was playing with this idea a few months ago.

1) When I put my mobile phone in an a Microwave oven and closed the door, the phone still answers calls.

2) I put my phone into a Hammon solid cast aluminium project box and tightened up the six screws on the lid. One could not slide the thinnest piece of paper between the lid and the box in the spaces between the screws. Especially as the lid is recessed.

The phone would still answer calls. WTF!

Only when I put some pieces of kitchen foil in the gaps between the screws did I finally manage to stop the telephone waves well enough for the phone to not answer calls.

@cab1
The reason is simply to reduce e-smog as far as possible, and up to now I managed to avoid any in my home network.
Are you sure? How did you measure it? Unless your home is free of any modern electronic devices and miles away from anywhere I find it unlikely that it is "e-smog" free.

How did you post here if so?

Anyway, why, are you setting up an FCC style EMC testing lab or something?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

mikerr

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Heater wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:26 pm
Anyway, why, are you setting up an FCC style EMC testing lab or something?
The use of word "e-smog" should tell you where this is heading...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Heater

Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Ah yes. No problem then. Just get yourself WillauTronic Esmog Protection products:
http://www.1stvitality.co.uk/esmog/how_it_works.htm

"WillauTronic e-smog transformers work on the principle of destructive interference to eliminate specific information signals which accompany mobile phone signals."

They harmonise electromagnetic waves emanating from your Mobile Phone, Personal Computer, Television or Microwave device without interfering with its functionality.

Only about 40 GBP per device to neutralize and harmful e-smog.

Some people will believe anything.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

cab1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Of course I know that nearly everything emits radiation, I just want to have it as "passive" as possible.
But anyway, thanks all for your comments ... after weeks of searching my hopes are destroyed and I will switch to pi3!
;)

jamesh

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:12 pm

cab1 wrote:
Of course I know that nearly everything emits radiation, I just want to have it as "passive" as possible.
But anyway, thanks all for your comments ... after weeks of searching my hopes are destroyed and I will switch to pi3!
;)
It will still be radiating, just not at wireless frequencies.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bugsy_malone 666

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Exactly why are you trying to stop and emissions from the RPi?

If you are searching for aliens in the middle of the desert and need no electrical noise at all I can kind of understand it (or extreme test conditions), but if its just for the sake of radio emissions, they will be so small from the RPi its not worth worrying about.

How are you powering your pi? what is the Pi going to be used for? Unless you are powering it from a 5 volt battery directly (which I dont think exist) I dont think you'll truly get rid of electromagnetic radiation due to power converters and the way they generate 5v.

If you just dont want the FBI to find you and dont want bluetooth and Wifi, get a RPi model A+, single core but only has 1 USB socket, so not so much stuff going on with regards to emissions, because its just the primary CPU/GPU and voltage regulator.

cab1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:34 pm

@bugsy_malone:
my network contains nine of them and is still growing, it should be reasonable to avoid radiation -- at least where it is easy, I think.

Ernst

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:03 pm

cab1 wrote:
@bugsy_malone:
my network contains nine of them and is still growing, it should be reasonable to avoid radiation -- at least where it is easy, I think.
The easiest way to reduce radiation is to remove the network, remove the raspberries, remove the power cables, remove your phone, remove your internet connection, seal everything in aluminium foil and do the same at every neighbour around you. Or migrate to another planet where there will be a different radiation problem.

Btw. did you see this advert for the Raspberry Pi powered e-smog analyzer, available as a kit for only $1999, assembled, tested and verified only $2999, excluding shipping.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

jamesh

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Can I remind everyone of the forums rules, which reflect those of Bill and Ted.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
Eh? Does that mean we all have to be "Bogus!" in our excellent adventures while things are afoot at the Circle-K?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RaTTuS

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:34 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:24 pm
jamesh wrote:
Eh? Does that mean we all have to be "Bogus!" in our excellent adventures while things are afoot at the Circle-K?
or "just be excellent to each other " Dude!
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

droleary

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 pm

cab1 wrote:
it should be reasonable to avoid radiation -- at least where it is easy, I think.
Then you're doing a premature optimization when you buy into any nonsense about "e-smog". Visible light is also electromagnetic radiation, and it is several orders of magnitude more energetic than radio waves. If you wanted to be "reasonable" about it, the first thing you should be looking to do is eliminate any LEDs that are on your RPi.

And then there's the issue of your computer screen, which you stare directly into as it shoots out many more Watts of radiation than an RPi ever will. If it's not reasonable to shut down that source, then it makes little sense to eliminate the drop in the bucket that is an RPi.

cab1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Didnt want to start discussion about e-smog, but for example cell phone radiation has been proven to have negative effects on the human body after decades of ignoring the critics. Thus, at least if it is easy, it *is* reasonable to avoid as much radiation as possible, even if it appears to be superfluous in some years (btw harmlessness can never be proven).

bensimmo

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:19 pm

WiFi - Mobile phone radiation problems became moot when people found they actually wanted to use them. Majority of people don't care.

Each to their own :-)

(5V battery mentioned above, 4xNiMh cells should do, they are a nominal 1.25V, nobody makes the battery probably as it's old tech though)

HawaiianPi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Get the Pi2B v1.2 instead of the Pi3B. The newer Pi2B v1.2 has the same SoC as the Pi3B, but no WiFi or Bluetooth.

There is also a newer Pi3B+ now with a shielded radio chip.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

cab1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes, (until tomorrow ;-) I have pi2s only but the price is even much higher than the pi3s. I read there are some hardware problems with the pi3+ and I also did not find any infos about the power consumption, thus I'll stay with the pi3 for while...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:19 pm

cab1 wrote:
;)
Electric power lines (including the ones in your residence) emit more radiation that the Pi does.

cab1

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:20 pm

at a different frequency

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:26 pm

cab1 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm
Yes, (until tomorrow ;-) I have pi2s only but the price is even much higher than the pi3s. I read there are some hardware problems with the pi3+ and I also did not find any infos about the power consumption, thus I'll stay with the pi3 for while...
I don't know where you're shopping, but all my sources show the Pi2Bv1.2, Pi3B, and Pi3B+ at the same price...$35.

Paul Hutch

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:28 pm

cab1 wrote:
Didnt want to start discussion about e-smog, but for example cell phone radiation has been proven to have negative effects on the human body
That is false, cell phone radiation has been shown conclusively in thousands of tests over decades to not cause any harm to human beings (as physics predicted BTW). There has been no uptick in any of the predicted physiological problems during the past 40 years of ever increasing cell phone use, only psychological problems. All of the claimed harms are based on severely flawed studies by people who are classified as pseudo-scientists and quacks.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:31 pm

cab1 wrote:
Didnt want to start discussion about e-smog, but for example cell phone radiation has been proven to have negative effects on the human body after decades of ignoring the critics. Thus, at least if it is easy, it *is* reasonable to avoid as much radiation as possible, even if it appears to be superfluous in some years (btw harmlessness can never be proven).
Even if true, one doesn't spend lots of time holding a Pi up to the side of ones head. Since electromagnetic radiation falls off as an inverse square of the distance, even a few inches will make a significant difference.

Probably the easiest way to avoid EM radiation is to wrap *yourself* in aluminum foil. But then you have to deal with the research that getting aluminum in your system is linked to Alzheimers.

Return to “General discussion”