Robo_Pi

Can't get my Pi to write a file to Windows

Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 am

Hi,

I'm running Raspian OS on a Raspberry Pi A+ card.
I've successfully connected to the Pi from my Windows laptop via a Remote Desktop Connection.
All of that works just fine.
(just for the record I had configured everything first using a Raspberry Pi B+ card)
(in fact, to continue the record, I'm having the same problems described below with the B+ card too)

NETWORKING
I've installed Samba and set up directory shares on the Raspberry Pi.
I was very pleased to be able to see the Pi folders on my Windows notebook.
I can read and write files to the Raspberry Pi folders from Windows with no problem.
For a while this was fine. But now I desperately need for the Pi to be able to write a file to the Windows notebook directly.
When I browse the network form the Raspberry Pi all I get is the error message:
"Failed to retrieve share list from server"
I've been trying to solve that problem for 2 weeks now with no luck.

Using Python
I wasn't too worried about the Networking being one-way since I could exchange files from Windows.
However, I'm not writing a Python program on the Pi and I need it to write a file to a Windows folder.
When I set up the program to do that the program runs and does not report any errors.
However, no file never shows up in the Windows directory I specified in the file "open" statement in Python.

I'm guessing that both these problems are related?

By the way if I write the file to a directory located on the Raspberry Pi itself the file shows up.
So the python program appears to be working just fine.
It just can't write to the Windows folders for some reason.
This is definitely NOT a permissions problem as I'm not requiring passwords.

In any case, I'm at a loss here to move forward.

I've reinstalled Samba and I've gone over all the configurations I can think of.
I've been trying everything I can think of on Windows, and everything appears to be set correctly there as well.

MORE INFORMATION:

I actually have 3 Windows notebook computers. They are all running Windows 10.
They have no problem sharing files between each other.
They can also write files to each other using Python.
I also have a Linux notebook computer with Linux Lite on it, also running Samba.
The Linux Lite notebook also cannot see the windows machines or read and write to them
But all the Windows machines can see the Linux note and read and write files to it.

The Raspberry Pi cards are acting the same as the Linux Lite notebook computer.
I actually have 5 Raspberry Pi cards and they are all behaving the same way.

PINGING:
ALL these computers seem to be able to ping each other with no problem.
But when it comes to writing files over the Network none of the Linux machines can do it.
They can be read by and written to by the Windows machines,
but they can't see the Windows machines or write files back to them.

Any suggestions?

DougieLawson

Re: Can't get my Pi to write a file to Windows

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:33 am

You have to share the Windows folder to your network, then mount that share on Raspbian to allow write from your RPi to a folder on Windows.

https://www.howtogeek.com/176471/how-to ... and-linux/

Note: there's a missing colon in that article.

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/Desktop/Windows-Share sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share /home/geek/Desktop/Windows-Share -o user=geek
which should read

mkdir ~/Desktop/Windows-Share; sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share /home/geek/Desktop/Windows-Share -o user=geek
Any language using left-hand whitespace for syntax is ridiculous

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
Fake doctors - are all on my foes list.

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Dougie.

I had actually tried that before, but I went over it again as per the page you linked to.
It fails to mount and reports the following error:

mount error (112): Host is down

And I know that's not true. The Host is sitting right here and I had just double-checked that it was indeed sharing the folder I'm trying to access just as it outlines in the article you linked to. Everything had already been properly shared, but I double checked just to be sure.

For some reason the Linux machine isn't recognizing the Windows computer. It does ping the computer by name though. So it recognizes the computer through ping by name. But it won't recognize it when it comes to file sharing.

I even tried using the Windows IP address instead of the computer name and still get the exact same error.

drgeoff

Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:46 pm

Samba client and Samba server are different animals. Have you installed both?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Have you opened the right holes in your Windows firewall?
Did you allow Windows to "see other computers on your network" (aka private network, not public)?
https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats- ... n-windows/

Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Paeryn

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Also, which version of the protocol is it trying? As of last year (I think) Windows 10 was updated so that SMBv1 wouldn't be installed unless you explicitly install it. If the Linux machines are all trying to use v1 rather than v2 or v3 then they won't be able to connect.
She who travels light — forgot something.
Please note that my name doesn't start with the @ character so can people please stop writing it as if it does!

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 pm

drgeoff wrote:
I confess that I'm not clear on this. However, I've been at this for over 2 weeks now and I've been trying everything. I've actually posted to other Linux forums and have been following their suggestions too. Thus far nothing I've tried has worked.

I do believe that I visited this issue of Samba Client versus Samba server before and it didn't make any difference. But at the same time I also confess that I'm not clear on precisely what I'm doing. So I could be making stupid mistakes. The only thing is that I have Linux Lite on a Notebook computer, and Raspian on three different Raspberry Pi cards. I've been trying different things on all of them and thus far nothing has worked.

It may or may not be a Samba issue.

However, the Linux machines aren't able to see each other as file shares either. I have three Windows notebooks and they can see each other as well as seeing, reading, and writing to the files and folders on the linux machine. So from the Windows end everything appears normal. It's only from the Linux end that I can't see the Windows shares. So this leads me to believe that the problem has to do with Samba. But that isn't necessarily true.

There's so many different things to study I don't know where to spend my time. That's why I'm kind of hoping someone will say, "Hey I had a similar problem and this was the solution". Thus far I haven't even heard that! I've seen a lot of people having problems seeing Linux shares from Windows. But I can't find much information about people not being able to see Windows shares from Linux.

I feel really alone in this problem.

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Paeryn wrote:
Also, which version of the protocol is it trying? As of last year (I think) Windows 10 was updated so that SMBv1 wouldn't be installed unless you explicitly install it. If the Linux machines are all trying to use v1 rather than v2 or v3 then they won't be able to connect.
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I typed in $ samba -V on the Linux Lite notebook and got:

version 4.3.11-Ubuntu

I typed in $ samba -V on the Raspberry Pi and get:

bash: samba: command not found.

But I know that Samba is installed. I can also see all the shares on that Raspberry Pi from Windows 10. I can read and write files to the Raspberry Pi using Windows. But I can't see Windows shares from the Raspberry Pi. Nor can I see them from the LInux Lite machine.

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:26 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:50 pm
Have you opened the right holes in your Windows firewall?
Did you allow Windows to "see other computers on your network" (aka private network, not public)?
https://www.howtogeek.com/245982/whats- ... n-windows/
Yes that is all set correctly on the Windows machines. They are all set to Private.

I also tried dropping the firewalls entirely and still can't see the Windows computers from Linux.

DougieLawson

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 pm

You could check whether your Windows system is visible with nmap

sudo apt install nmap
sudo nmap -sU -sS --script smb-system-info -p U:137,T:139 192.168.77.99

where 192.168.77.99 is the current IP address for your Windows system.

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:41 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 pm
You could check whether your Windows system is visible with nmap

sudo apt install nmap
sudo nmap -sU -sS --script smb-system-info -p U:137,T:139 192.168.77.99

where 192.168.77.99 is the current IP address for your Windows system.
Results from the Linux Lite Notebook:

james-cq57@Presario-CQ57:~$ sudo nmap -sU -sS --script smb-system-info -p U:137,T:139 192.168.1.6

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2018-03-28 17:10 EDT
Nmap scan report for Overseer.home (192.168.1.6)
Host is up (0.012s latency).
PORT    STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
137/udp open  netbios-ns
MAC Address: EC:55:F9:18:D4:3F (Hon Hai Precision Ind.)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.20 seconds
james-cq57@Presario-CQ57:~$ 
Results from the Raspberry Pi

$ sudo apt install nmap

sudo: apt: command not found
Maybe I need to reinstall Samba on the Raspberry Pi?
do I need to purge samba first? And then reinstall it.

Although, the Linux Lite machine is recognizing Overseer.home (the Windows host), it still can't seem to find it using Network Browser, or the previous attempt to set up a Desktop folder to access it. I still can't access any Windows shares even from the Linux Lite notebook.

However I can see both the Linux Lite and Raspberry Pi Shares from the Windows Overseer computer. I have no problem reading and writing files to those shared folders on the Linux machines. I just can't see the Windows machines from Linux.

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:54 pm

Ok, in an attempt to try to keep things simple, let's just work with this single Raspberry Pi card;

This is a B+ card running Raspbian.
I named it "Pi-Developer" as I use this card as my foundation and just copy system images to other Pi cards, and then modify them individually from there for specific purposes. So this is my core Pi System.

I'm able to see this Pi-Developer card from Windows and read and write to is via shares I defined in the smb.conf file.
I thought I had installed Samba on this card a long time ago but I'm currently getting the following replies to command prompts:

pi@Pi-Developer ~ $ samba -V
bash: samba: command not found
pi@Pi-Developer ~ $ sudo samba -V
sudo: samba: command not found
pi@Pi-Developer ~ $ sudo apt install nmap
sudo: apt: command not found
pi@Pi-Developer ~ $ 
I actually copied the above command lines directly in the Pi-Developer
pasted them into leafpad
then using Windows I copied that text file over to Windows
And then copied and pasted the text to this post.

So Windows is sucking files off the Pi-Developer.
I'm also running the Pi-Developer through a Remote Desktop Connection using Windows.

So that's where I'm at.

How do I check to see if Samba is installed?
And can I reinstall it?
I'm more than willing to do this entirely from scratch.
I want to get it right.
I need for this to be working correctly on on my Raspberry Pi cards.
I currently have this B+ card, along with four A+ cards.
And I may be adding more A+ cards to my collection in the future.
So I want to get this Pi-Developer card ironed out and working properly since it will be used as the system image for all the other cards.
Once I move the system over to an A+ card, I only need to change the name, and a few other details, including IP addresses. etc.
I have made the IP address static. Is that a problem?
I did that so I can reliably logon to the A+ cards using Remote Desktop.
It doesn't seem to bother Windows that the IP addresses on the Raspberry Pi cards are static.
It finds those shares just fine.

Paeryn

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Robo_Pi wrote:
Paeryn wrote:
Try adding vers=2.1 to the mount options

sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share /home/geek/Desktop/Windows-Share -o user=geek,vers=2.1
Example, on my RPi without specifying a version it tries v1 which fails, but specifying version 2.1 it succeeds :-

pi@rpi3:~ $ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.14/users/paeryn /media/pi/win -o user=paeryn
Password for paeryn@//192.168.0.14/users/paeryn:  *****************
mount error(112): Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

pi@rpi3:~ $ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.14/users/paeryn /media/pi/win -o user=paeryn,vers=2.1
pi@rpi3:~ $
She who travels light — forgot something.
Please note that my name doesn't start with the @ character so can people please stop writing it as if it does!

Robo_Pi

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Paeryn wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:02 pm
Robo_Pi wrote:
Paeryn wrote:
Try adding vers=2.1 to the mount options

sudo mount.cifs //WindowsPC/Share /home/geek/Desktop/Windows-Share -o user=geek,vers=2.1
Example, on my RPi without specifying a version it tries v1 which fails, but specifying version 2.1 it succeeds :-

pi@rpi3:~ $ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.14/users/paeryn /media/pi/win -o user=paeryn
mount error(112): Host is down
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

pi@rpi3:~ $ sudo mount.cifs //192.168.0.14/users/paeryn /media/pi/win -o user=paeryn,vers=2.1
pi@rpi3:~ $
That seems to have helped to some degree.

Now I'm getting the following error:

mount error(13): Permission denied

The problem is that I have these shares set to not even require any passwords.

None the less I tried using the password for both the Linux and Windows machine and neither password works.

Although the Windows machines are using "homegroup" which requires a password. But that password doesn't work either.
I tried removing the password from "homegroup' but Windows won't allow that. So I have to have one there.

I'm also confused about that, because it says that the Windows computers are on WORKGROUP, but in order for them to see each other they need to join "homegroup". Is that somehow causing my problems?

Robo_Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 am

I've just made some progress, but still not there yet.

On the Windows machines I've gone into the Network and Sharing Center, and then "Change advanced sharing settings" and then under "All Networks" I've chosen "Turn off password protected sharing".

When I did this, I was able to create the share folder on the Linux Lite notebook using the mount.cifs command.

All the Windows computer also now show up in the "Browse Network WORKGROUP folder".

This is the furthest I've gotten yet!

The Windows computers also now show up on the Pi-Developer Browse Network WORKGROUP folder too.

That's more than I have been able to do thus far.

However, I'm still not home free.

Even though all the Windows computers are showing up now, I still can't access the actual shares on any of them.

I'm still getting exactly the same original error:

"Failed to retrieve share list from server"

So while this appears to be some progress, it's clearly not the full solution.

Robo_Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:11 pm

drgeoff wrote:
I'm thinking this may be my problem. It's been quite a while since I had installed Samba on the Raspberry Pi. Originally when I installed it I was totally content with just being able to write files to it and read them from it from Windows. So at that point in time I wasn't concerned about not being able to see Windows from the Pi.

But now I'm writing a Python program on the Pi that absolutely must write files to my Windows computer. This has to do with the fact that I'm using a feature of C# on Windows called "FileSystemWatcher" that creates an event in the C# program anytime a particular file has been written to. This way my C# program can know that the Raspberry Pi just sent me a message and it can then read that message. I'm already able to send messages back to the Pi, so that much is ok.

(Just for the record, I'm fully aware that there are other ways to communicate between computers programmatically) In fact, I'm learning how to use sockets, and I'll be converting over to using sockets at some future time. However, for right now I want to get this FileSystemWatcher program working. It works between Windows computers perfectly. If I can get the Pi to write to a file on a Windows machine I'm home free.

Besides, I really should have a rock solid file-sharing system up and running anyway. So I really want to iron out this Samba issue (If that's what it is). In the beginning I wasn't sure whether the problem was with Samba, Windows 10, a Firewall, or maybe even with my WiFi router?

But after being at this for two weeks now I'm pretty sure the problem is with Samba. I can't be 100% certain of that. But a complete reinstall of Samba certainly won't hurt.

I already did a re-install on the Linux Lite machine and it didn't help there. But I'm still not clear on the difference between Samba Server and Samba Client and whether I need both, or just one.

So I'm going to try to re-install samba again from scratch and see if I can figure out where I went wrong. I really want to get this solved.

Unfortunately real life is calling so this whole shebang is going to have to be put on a back burner for a bit.

If I ever get it solved I'll come back and explain how I solved it.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:55 pm

What Anti-Virus are you running?
Have you tweaked its settings to allow sharing within your private network?

Does anything show up on the event log on Windows?
[WIN]+[R] eventvwr.msc [ENTER]

Robo_Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:28 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
What Anti-Virus are you running?
Have you tweaked its settings to allow sharing within your private network?
I haven't done anything beyond what comes with Windows. So I'm just using Windows Defender as the anti-virus and the standard Windows firewall.

And yes I have everything set to allow for sharing on a private network. At least as far as I am aware. I've looked through special rules and haven't been able to find anything that looks like it would be a problem. I even turned off the firewall entirely and that didn't help either.
DougieLawson wrote:
Does anything show up on the event log on Windows?
[WIN]+[R] eventvwr.msc [ENTER]
I don't know how to read the results from that. I do see that I have several Warnings attributed to DNS Client Events. But I have no clue what they mean or how to obtain any useful information from these warnings.

I really need to be doing other real life chores. But I have watched several YouTube Videos today on how to install and set up Samba. The only problem is that all of those videos only tell me things I've already done. According to those videos I've done everything precisely as they describe. I even try little quirky things that various individuals have suggested and thus far nothing seems to help.

My MAJOR FRUSTRATION,....

Every single video I watch that shows how to set up Samba only shows how to set up shares on Linux that can be accessed by Windows. But I already have that. That's not my problem. I can read and write files to the Linux machines from Windows all day long. That much is working seamlessly.

My problem is that I can't access the Windows shares from Linux. And I haven't found a video that shows how to do that yet. I've never seen a video where somehow shows how to access a Windows file from Linux. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible?

All they seem to be concerned about is accessing Linux from Windows.

I've been doing that from day one.

That's not my problem.

I need Linux to be able to write a file to a Windows shared folder.

I haven't been able to find a YouTube Video or a written article on that anywhere. It's like no one is talking about it. All they seem to care about is accessing Linux shares from Windows. They seem to be happy with just doing that.

So maybe I'm trying to do something that's impossible to do???

Robo_Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Here's what I need to do:

I have a shared folder on a Windows machine.

I need Linux to be able to write a file to that folder that is located on the Windows machine.

What won't work for me.

It does me no good for Linux to share a folder on the Linux machine that Windows can read.

That's no good. That doesn't help me.

~~~~~~~

Why is this no good for me?

Because Windows is not alerted when files are updated in that Linux shared folder.
Windows is only alerted when files are changed in folders that are located on the Windows machine.
So I need Linux to actually write a file to a "Windows shared folder", not to a "Linux shared folder".

Maybe Samba can't do that?

toldcodger

Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 pm

It may have been a typo earlier but you said the sudo apt install nmap command didn’t work. I think the command should be “sudo apt-get install nmap”
You should always keep the prime objective in mind.
However, when you’re up to your ass in alligators, it’s hard to remember that you came to drain the swamp. :D

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:05 pm

Nope. apt is a functional replacement for apt-get on supported versions of Raspbian, DebIan and Ubuntu.

drgeoff

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Samba (or CIFs) CAN write to a shared folder on a Windows PC. I've done that for ages from a Linux Mint PC. It "just worked" so I can't say anything about how you need to configure on a RPi.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Robo_Pi

Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:42 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:10 pm
Samba (or CIFs) CAN write to a shared folder on a Windows PC. I've done that for ages from a Linux Mint PC. It "just worked" so I can't say anything about how you need to configure on a RPi.
You LUCKY DOG!

I wish it would "just work" for me. :D

By the way, I also have Linux Lite installed on a laptop, and I can't do it from there either.

Return to “Troubleshooting”