washy

Re: Ubuntu image for the new Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:13 pm

OK copying without deleting the existing modules has fixed it, the keyboard and mouse are now running!

feelslikeautumn

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Well done BluPI2 and washy. So not a waste of time after all! I'm sure a lot of people will be grateful for the effort you've both put in.

You'll want to update and upgrade the packages:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will sort out anything that is missing or needs updating (like the device tree overlay files).

EDIT: IGNORE THIS POST IT IS TALKING RUBBISH
Last edited by feelslikeautumn on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

washy

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:21 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote: Well done BluPI2 and washy. So not a waste of time after all! I'm sure a lot of people will be grateful for the effort you've both put in.

You'll want to update and upgrade the packages:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will sort out anything that is missing or needs updating (like the device tree overlay files).
Yeah i did that - took about an hour - seems to have broken firefox - just insta-crashes when I run it, did try remove and reinstalling it that hasn't helped, was working before the dist-upgrade, never mind can fix that one later
tkaiser wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 pm
BluPI2 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:02 pm
bootcode.bin, fixup.dat, start.elf, bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb , kernel.img, kernel7.img

I then copied these 2 folders into the root partition in the /lib/modules folder: 4.9.80-v7+ and 4.9.80+
You neither need kernel.img nor the '4.9.80+' directory (ARMv6 stuff) but you want to add the new wireless firmware: See this commit to get an idea where to fetch the files and where they should go to: https://github.com/ThomasKaiser/pi64/co ... 9c8c4f7737
This is an issue - primarily because I haven't got a clue - I wgotted the files in TK's commit but I'm not entirely sure how to install them to make the wifi work, when I say not entirely sure - I haven't got a clue :)

BluPI2

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:19 am

tkaiser wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Yeah i did that - took about an hour - seems to have broken firefox - just insta-crashes when I run it, did try remove and reinstalling it that hasn't helped, was working before the dist-upgrade, never mind can fix that one later

Firefox is currently broken at the moment, you'll have to uninstall Firefox and revert to FF version 52.0.2 or use a different browser like Midori.
Midori is great but it crashes alot for me.

To fix firefox run:

sudo apt-get remove firefox

Then download and install https://launchpadlibrarian.net/31343902 ... _armhf.deb

Then run this command to keep the update manager from breaking it again:

sudo apt-mark hold firefox

Then run sudo apt-get autoremove to cleanup any unneeded files

AmUlysses

Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:42 am

To the lovely individual that got it up and running, bravo! Also, you should compile a suitable well-rounded set-up into a writable ISO or IMG file to make it easier for everyone and the newbies. :)

BluPI2

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 am

Alright guys , I now have the onboard dual-band Wifi working as well :D

Once again I mounted the latest Raspbian .img(2018-03-13-raspbian-stretch-lite.img)

I then extracted these files from /lib/firmware/brcm

brcmfmac43455-sdio.txt, brcmfmac43455-sdio.clm_blob, and brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin

Move them into the same folder on your Ubuntu Mate SD card, if Mate is currently running you will need to right-click and open folder as administrator in order to copy them over and You'll need to reboot Mate in order for the changes to take effect.

I replaced the old files as they had the same filename.

Now All is working. I don't think I have anything left to fix. Everything now seems to be in order. :)

I suppose I could make an .img of the working Mate, but at the same time there probably wouldn't be much point as the Ubuntu Mate team are probably working on it already. The instructions in this thread are pretty simple and straight forward.

If I decide to make one I'll definately give you guys a heads up.

washy

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:44 am

Beautiful man! :)

I agree with you ref an image - now we have a complete instruction set it's straight-forward to get this going assuming you have a linux system to be able to manipulate the SD card files on the ext4 partition. Thanks for all the help and supports, truly appreciated.

feelslikeautumn

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm

washy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:21 pm
Yeah, sorry I realised later I should of warned about those two things. But you've proved that you just need to run the standard updates to make the image bootable on the 3B+. So that makes it even easier for people with an existing 2B/3B. A quicker way would be:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel
EDIT: IGNORE THE ABOVE IT IS RUBBISH (see later post)

The WiFi firmware can also be found here: https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ ... t3_all.deb

Open the deb with archive manager and extract the contents to the appropriate folder. This will save you the time downloading a raspbian image.
Last edited by feelslikeautumn on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

washy

Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm
The WiFi firmware can also be found here: https://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ ... t3_all.deb

Open the deb with archive manager and extract the contents to the appropriate folder. This will save you the time downloading a raspbian image.
That worked - just downloaded and extracted it remotely over vnc, rebooted and the wifi is working as expected :)

BluPI2

Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:33 am

I can't help with USB boot, i've been running solely from SD card and haven't even tried the new USB boot feature yet. Eventually I'll hook a 2.5 inch hdd up and try it out. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Have you tried posting in the raspberry pi section of the ubuntu mate forums? :

https://ubuntu-mate.community/c/support/raspberry-pi-2

feelslikeautumn

Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:02 am

I've seen a few people try USB booting in Ubuntu-mate and you are not the first to fail at this. For USB booting you need to update the bootloader and edit cmdline.txt (like you've done). In addition you need to edit /etc/fstab. I haven't done this myself, but in theory that should be enough to get it going. Let us know how you get on!

EDIT: see new thread viewtopic.php?f=56&t=209324
Last edited by feelslikeautumn on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Piglith

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:26 am

Confirmed. The deb file containing the newer brcm firmware works with 4.14.30v7+ :D

feelslikeautumn

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:03 pm
feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 pm
Unless you have insider information, it is not going to be a week. Probably somewhere between one and two months for Ubuntu-mate. For Ubuntu-server it is even longer. 18.04 is in feature freeze I think, so the bootloader files probably won't be updated in time for release. Plus there will probably never be a image released especially for the 3B+.
This post is entirely wrong. Should be a matter of a few days (as shown after previous Pi model releases). Whether third parties bother is down to them.

Someone in the thread above has it working...
Entirely right?

feelslikeautumn

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Piglith wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:26 am
Confirmed. The deb file containing the newer brcm firmware works with 4.14.30v7+ :D
Excellent!

feelslikeautumn

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm

If a future person wants to work directly on the .img file for some reason, then there is an example that can be adapted here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1017028 ... 53#1018853

MaxVMH

Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm

I was able to make a bootable USB image of Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi 3B & 3B+. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread :)

I made torrents of the images:
Last edited by MaxVMH on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:21 am, edited 7 times in total.
Webserver stack: 2x Pi 3B | 1x Pi 3B+ ||| Pi Zero W for fooling around

Working on a soccer prediction web app:
https://github.com/MaxVMH/mijnscore
Attempt at writing up-to-date tutorials on making a Raspberry Pi webserver:
http://blog.mijnscore.be/

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:40 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:24 pm
jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:03 pm
feelslikeautumn wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 pm
Unless you have insider information, it is not going to be a week. Probably somewhere between one and two months for Ubuntu-mate. For Ubuntu-server it is even longer. 18.04 is in feature freeze I think, so the bootloader files probably won't be updated in time for release. Plus there will probably never be a image released especially for the 3B+.
This post is entirely wrong. Should be a matter of a few days (as shown after previous Pi model releases). Whether third parties bother is down to them.

Someone in the thread above has it working...
Entirely right?
You said it would take between one and two months. It took about a week to get a working Ubuntu. So that's how long it takes.

How long it takes for an official version is entirely down to someone else.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

BluPI2

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:12 pm

I've been using Ubuntu Mate daily now and everything still seems to be working great. I bought a portable HDD and I have usb boot working too now.

First I cloned my SD card to my new HDD using Gparted.

Then I did this:
Edit these files as Root to Enable USB Boot:
From text editor change the /PI_BOOT/cmdline.txt file so that "root=/dev/sda2"

From text editor change the /PI_ROOT/etc/fstab file to:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/sda1 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
All Done! Usb booting should now be Working.

I'm using the Seagate Backup Plus Slim 1TB portable HDD and its running off a single usb port on the Raspberry PI 3 B+.
Working great!

feelslikeautumn

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:30 am

jamesh wrote:
You said it would take between one and two months. It took about a week to get a working Ubuntu. So that's how long it takes.
That is precisely not what I said.

The fix for this was outlined on page 1. Throughout this thread I've been the one encouraging people that they can fix this for themselves. It would be very strange if I then said it is going to take two months before they can fix it.

Most people (except you it seems) will have known I was talking about official releases. This forum seems to be under the impression that an official U-m release is just around the corner (viewtopic.php?f=106&p=1296029#p1296029 ). Yet the only date that has been mentioned by developers is July. My guess is that will be brought forward a bit.

There is nothing hard about this fix. It is less than 5 mins of effort. The hardest part has been battling the negativity of other posters on this forum. That includes you - "Or wait a week and let someone else do that for you".

feelslikeautumn

Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 am

MaxVMH wrote:
I was able to make a bootable USB image of Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi 3B & 3B+. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread :)

Nice one MaxVMH!

jamesh

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am

feelslikeautumn wrote:
jamesh wrote:

The fix for this was outlined on page 1. Throughout this thread I've been the one encouraging people that they can fix this for themselves. It would be very strange if I then said it is going to take two months before they can fix it.

Most people (except you it seems) will have known I was talking about official releases. This forum seems to be under the impression that an official U-m release is just around the corner (viewtopic.php?f=106&p=1296029#p1296029 ). Yet the only date that has been mentioned by developers is July. My guess is that will be brought forward a bit.

There is nothing hard about this fix. It is less than 5 mins of effort. The hardest part has been battling the negativity of other posters on this forum. That includes you - "Or wait a week and let someone else do that for you".
Why is that negative? It's a perfectly valid approach for those without the confidence to do it themselves.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:03 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am
feelslikeautumn wrote:
jamesh wrote:

Why is that negative? It's a perfectly valid approach for those without the confidence to do it themselves.

+1 :D
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jblack

Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

The SD torrent seemed to work for me. :)
MaxVMH wrote:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Note that the official update is not yet out, so this might be a version that only partially works.

MaxVMH

Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:48 pm

jblack wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm
MaxVMH wrote:

The SD torrent seemed to work for me. :)
Thanks for letting me know!

To those who are running Ubuntu Mate: how do you like it? Is the performance OK?

I tested some things and found it to be really slow, afterwards I realized the GPU memory was still set to 16MB for my headless projects. I'll probably give it another go later this week.

mahjongg wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:42 pm
Note that the official update is not yet out, so this might be a version that only partially works.
True, and the official updated image might take a while. My understanding is that their next image for Raspberry Pi will be released 1 or 2 months after they release 18.04.
Webserver stack: 2x Pi 3B | 1x Pi 3B+ ||| Pi Zero W for fooling around

Working on a soccer prediction web app:
https://github.com/MaxVMH/mijnscore
Attempt at writing up-to-date tutorials on making a Raspberry Pi webserver:
http://blog.mijnscore.be/

Return to “Other”