onlyconnect

Re: Registration for donated Rpis.

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:26 am

How would we go about registering for (say) 20 donated Rpis as a charitable organization- looking to use them in developing world clinics for Electronic Medical Records?

I can see you have a buy one give one model planned BUT how do the getters get given them?

Chris

Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:59 pm

If your not in a place like Africa, I don think you can get them, What charity are you asking on behalf of?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:30 pm

You don't get to nominate exactly where your donated money gets spent, I'm afraid; it'd cause an administrative nightmare for the foundation. If you want to donate Raspberry Pis to a specific organisation, you may find it more convenient to buy them yourself and give them directly.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

onlyconnect

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Just to clarify, we are initially sending them/ taking them out to medical clinics in Africa (starting with one in Kenya) as per a previous forum post -

The plan is to get a distribution network based upon the medical student electives that ~8000 medical students undergo each year in the UK, as many are to smaller / remote clinics in the Developing world.

We will need to register as a charity in our own right before this can be fully realised.

What I am asking is would we be eligible to receive (initially) small numbers of Rpis (crediting you in our reports/ papers resulting from the project)- or would we have to secure the funding for the hardware independently.

Plus, as our team are based at Addies in Cambridge, it would be nice if a few of us could drop in and say hi in November/ December after launch!
I know you will be super-busy, so we wont be offended if you say no!

liz

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:33 am

OIC - aha! I'm sure we can work with you on this - can you drop us a line again by email after we've launched? (If you remind us of this thread, that'd be super-useful.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

onlyconnect

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 am

Will do. Many thanks.

mitch161

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:51 pm

hmm students at cambridge asking for freebies. not yet a charity. meaning they currently are not doing any charity work... rasberry pi be wary of this one.

be very wary of anyone asking for the free charitable one that are not a current charity we dont want your hard work going to support those that can afford PC's getting them.

they are from cambridge after all..

best to stick to known large organisations that are in the third world already in the teaching organisations. such as oxfam.

starting a charity to give hospital clinics computers.. hmmm hospitals /clinics already have ties to large foundations / charities.

i beleive this may be a way that you will end up giving rasberry pi's to some cambridge students and they will fundraise asking people to pay £200 to fund a computer for third world knowing the money will be spent on their first class airplane seats as the computers will already be a freebie..

best to stick to known organisations first, ones set up for atleast 5 years with a known impact to the third world.

seems like im being negative, but i just dislike people in the UK setting up charities and their charity address volunteers address and donations bank account is all UK based. promoting they are helping third world while actually still being in the UK.

like i said best stick to the known organisations for the first couple years and then expand as you get to know which charities truly impact the third world

mitch161

Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:17 pm

message to students. anyone can set up a charity but its takes true talent to look beyond getting a good degree result. think beyond your degree. after your 3 month holiday in the sun who will be training the third world users in PC training. i suggest collaberating with oxfam as they are already involved in developing schools and clinics they would be the ones using the technology and in the end training the thirdworld population in using the technology.

try purchasing the first 20 pi's yourself so you can design your prototype patient database network for your project. and then if truly serious about being involved in the third world, then be part of oxfams effort. Your lecturers would love to know that you have support and "networking" contacts with the organisation and that those organisations want you with them.

anyone can set up a charity and go on holiday for 3 months and plug in a Pi. show more then the basics, get contacts get support from existing organisations and get them to aquire the PI's in bulk.

charity is great but soo many are being set up for mini projects that in the end fail the long term lastability test as the end users have no ongoing training and other organisations may already have their own ways of doing things. These mini charities end up just diluting the efforts of the larger organisations. and the hard work of making rasberry pi's just end up being sold as raw materials in exchange for food and water because no one needs/knows how to use them.

show you have oxfam support and that they require your assistance and you will get a better result from your lecturer. think outside the box, beyond your little project

obarthelemy

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:02 pm

That's a big issue for me with charities. I was giving my blood, then learned the big boss was embezzling and knowingly not aids-proofing their supply to save $$; I gave money for cancer research, same thing, I had a customer who was a big diabetes foundation, everyone was out by 4:30 sharp (standard in Paris is more 6-7)... so I stopped giving altogether.
At least, giving Pis and not money means getting computers out there, no matter how disused/misused/resold. I'm sure the foundation will not have the mean to ask for accountability though.

onlyconnect

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:32 am

I appreciate you don't have much to go on based on my posts.
To summarise:
1) The RasPi team are clearly not going to be throwing these around to all comers.
2)We are all post-grads - there is no element of "impressing lecturers" or whatever else you folks were assuming.
3) We plan to be working with a host of established Cambridge societies and charities- plus hopefully ( http://www.regenstrief.org/) who have established a large informatics project already in Kenya- we think that they could use the RasPi as an alternative to buying new workstations (at a current cost of $1000s).
4) Medical students already go on electives to the developing world- so we might as well use an opportunity for free transport.
5) WE DONT NEED FREE RPis- but I think the cause is just as worthy as many of the others.

mitch161 has a good point about working with big charities - MSF may be a good candidate- I wonder if some of their projects would be interested (I may well find out once we have our website up as we know a few of their folks).

Burngate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:48 pm

95%... that's me. Partly, that's why I like Rpi, I'll be feeling good while doing something for myself. I don't see much use for my talents with my chosen favourite charities - DogsTrust, Lifeboats, Mountain Rescue don't have electronic wizz-kids. So more strength to the ARMs of those nearer the front end!

onlyconnect

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Love that last post. My post has been duly edited.

Burngate

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:22 pm

That's not fair! Now my post refers to to something you now haven't said so I'll have to unsay what I said, which means what you unsaid should ideally be re-said and then I'll have to re-say what I unsaid... talk about shooting your grandfather!

Chris

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Quote from onlyconnect on October 5, 2011, 12:32
I appreciate you don't have much to go on based on my posts.
To summarise:
1) The RasPi team are clearly not going to be throwing these around to all comers.
2)We are all post-grads - there is no element of "impressing lecturers" or whatever else you folks were assuming.
3) We plan to be working with a host of established Cambridge societies and charities- plus hopefully ( http://www.regenstrief.org/) who have established a large informatics project already in Kenya- we think that they could use the RasPi as an alternative to buying new workstations (at a current cost of $1000s).
4) Medical students already go on electives to the developing world- so we might as well use an opportunity for free transport.
5) WE DONT NEED FREE RPis- but I think the cause is just as worthy as many of the others.

mitch161 has a good point about working with big charities - MSF may be a good candidate- I wonder if some of their projects would be interested (I may well find out once we have our website up as we know a few of their folks).

Simple, buy them then. But if I were you I would take a leaf from one of the earlier posts. Buy the first batch yourself and actually establish your project even in only a demo form. Then ask for the free ones to expand.

onlyconnect

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:44 pm

That is indeed what we are planning to do Chris. We are not expecting any funding from anyone until we had a demo Rpi up and running with the software. I will hopefully show it off to the Rpi folks themselves, as we are based so nearby.

The idea behind putting the project on the forum (see the original electronic medical records for the developing world post) was to get some suggestions on useful hardware / software/ new applications of the idea we may not have thought of using/ doing.
Hence the choice to put it in "collaboration".

We did have some useful suggestions mixed in with other (often amusing) comments/ unrelated criticisms.

This thread was supposed to communicate with the Rpi administrators directly, as we hadn't had any luck with email. So to draw a line under the funding issue- thats all sorted for November.

Return to “Other projects”