nerdykit

How can I format an SD card from the graphic interface?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 am

I like the SD card copier that is now built into the new Pixel desktop but after I copied my working model SD card onto a new card for backup, I made some important changes and decided to go back and make the copy again. It won't work. I get a message that it "Couldn't create partition" and fails. So I have to pull the card out, format it in my desktop computer and then do it again in the pi using SD card copier. Seems to me that there should be some way of reformatting the target SD card from the GUI desktop so that I don't need any hardware but my pi involved in this process. Since the SD card copier is a nice little GUI type program then either the ability to reformat should be built into it or else another small GUI program should be provided to do that task.

NK
What me...?

HawaiianPi

Re: How can I format an SD card from the graphic interface?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 am

There is a GUI utility called GNOME Partition Editor (gparted) that can do just about anything you'd want to do to storage media partitions, including format them. Might be a bit more than you want, but give it a try (sudo apt install gparted).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

nerdykit

Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I've installed gparted and then written a two line shell script so that I can easily launch it from the Pixel desktop. It looks as if it will do what I want.

NK
What me...?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 pm

nerdykit wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 pm
Thanks, that's a good suggestion. I've installed gparted and then written a two line shell script so that I can easily launch it from the Pixel desktop. It looks as if it will do what I want.

NK

The Pixel Desktop was expired in Jessie nearly a year ago, therefore you must be running a not only a EOL Raspbian but one not upgraded ??
Retired disgracefully.....

nerdykit

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm running raspbian stretch and I THOUGHT that the Graphic Desktop Interface but was named Pixel but perhaps I'm wrong. Regardless of the name I gave to it, my GUI is the one that is incorporated into that distribution.

NK
What me...?

klricks

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:55 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:39 pm
The Pixel Desktop was expired in Jessie nearly a year ago, therefore you must be running a not only a EOL Raspbian but one not upgraded ??
Yes but PIXEL is still mentioned several times in the official RPF docs including the installation guide:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ensaver.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm

nerdykit wrote:
I'm running raspbian stretch and I THOUGHT that the Graphic Desktop Interface but was named Pixel but perhaps I'm wrong.
I believe it's now officially known as the "Raspberry Pi Desktop" due to a name conflict with another product.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:00 pm
nerdykit wrote:
I'm running raspbian stretch and I THOUGHT that the Graphic Desktop Interface but was named Pixel but perhaps I'm wrong.
I believe it's now officially known as the "Raspberry Pi Desktop" due to a name conflict with another product.

June 2017

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=186959
Retired disgracefully.....

nerdykit

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Thanks FOTL, your link to another forum reply thread answers the question about why the PIXEL name is now obsolete but the Desktop lives on. Will try to remove it from my vocabulary and from any Google searches that I undertake which may improve my success rate.

NK
What me...?

Return to “Beginners”