labidus

PI Red transparent case from Element14 Don't buy it

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:56 am

Its a piece of junk and its too big, really to big... 8$ wasted, its something that should cost no more then 2$...

I prefer to say it before other get it and regret it! :)

nadnerb

Re: PI Red transparent case from Element14 Don't buy it

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 am

Can you post some photos of the case and with the pi installed.

respOnder

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 pm

I also have one of these cases from Element 14, called the 'Pi sandwich'. The posts that lock the 2 halves together broke after a couple of times trying to take them apart. It just uses a tight fit between a pin and post, so it's difficult to take apart or assemble.

Now if I pick up the case just holding the top half, the bottom wants to fall off! I already dropped my Pi board on the ground once accidentally.

Wouldn't reccomend this case...

labidus

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:35 am

After some time to play with my pi that i received friday, the case is no good.

why?

Hard to plug/unplug usb device or the usb power. Impossible to remove or put the sd card unless your remove the pi from the case.

Here a pic of the case I am talking about
Attachments
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG (59.21 KiB) Viewed 2868 times

Henley

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 am

I bought one of the 'slot together' acrylic cases off eBay. It was £15!! Held together with two elastic bands. I am not careless with stuff like this but it literally snapped in several places without any pressure. I felt compelled to try and offer others something far more substantial which is what I'm working on at the moment.

Jim JKla

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:13 am

This is all valid feedback.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

MaDoGK

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:19 am

@labidus: Have you tried complaining to Element14? I just wondered what there reply would be.

bkhbud

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:24 pm

We are Bud Industries and we make these cases. Thank you for your input and suggestions. We have made a few changes. First, we wanted an easy to use, inexpensive box. Part of that was to avoid using hardware. We did not realize how challenging people might find opening the box so we now have an instruction sticker on the outside of the packaging. It is easy to open if you make sure you hold onto all 4 sides at the same time and lift up without wiggling. Check it out in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKV29FfZoO4 . We do recognize that installing the sd card can be a challenge and there are a couple of solutions. First, if you remove the lid, you have more access. Second, you can pop the board out to install and uninstall. Finally, you can snap the post that holds the board from slipping and it will give you more room. We are looking to retool the box with bigger windows which would solve the problem and we hope to have these units in stock shortly.

We apologize for the problems you have had with the box, particularly opening and closing. I think we have solved that problem and we appreciate your input.

Return to “Other projects”