margan
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:54 pm

I read many topics reporting this issue, so my experience could be interesting : I did all possible attemps with softwares and finally my conclusion was be for hardware issue. So I gave back the P3 to the seller and waited for the sentence. I receive this morning the news from the seller: the P3 was tested and it's faulty. They send me a new one.
Probably a part of generation ( the first one?) of P3s has an hardware issue.

zap123123
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 am

I have the exact problem running on the new jessie PIXEL os. I am currently using my old Edimax RTL8188CUS (which wasn't supposed to be supported anymore from what I read, but seems to work great!)
I started having this problem after a software change. However, My previous sd card shorted out and became very hot, however everything works perfectly fine. Although, I assume the Wifi and Bluetooth interfaces got fried in the process (I found out a few days ago that audio seems to have failed as well)
I'm not sure if this would be the case, or if it is a software issue.

btek
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:01 pm

I have struggled with this for a few days, searching for a solution amongst various online postings.

dmesg shows:
brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50

Removing and reloading driver as suggested on this thread does get wifi working, but had to be done every reboot.
Didn't see a similar fix for Bluetooth.

Finally went to a local Fry's and purchased another Pi3, thinking I may end up returning it if the issue is not a hardware problem.
Plugged the same SD card into it - started up with no problems at all. Wifi and Bluetooh both work.

Seeking a refund on the original Pi3 purchase.

Thank you to all previous posts here - helped me move in the right direction with this.

PeterCain0110
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:00 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:27 pm

Many thanks to rnamdos » Sun May 08, 2016 5:04 pm ..

I had upgraded to stretch .. and Wifi stopped .. I had spent ages trying to figure the "problem" ..
Anyway .. Now works AGAIN ..

jccooper
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 pm

garlicbready wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:28 pm
First try the following

# Remove the Driver
modprobe -r brcmfmac
# Load in the Driver
modprobe brcmfmac
# Check Dmesg for any errors
dmesg
# List all network ports
ifconfig -a

If you see an error in the dmesg log like this, then your likley missing the needed firmware files
brcmfmac_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin failed with error -2

In that case go to https://github.com/RPi-Distro/firmware- ... 80211/brcm
and download the brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin and brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt files into the directory
/lib/firmware/brcm/ then try again
I had a similar issue. I did this and it did work. I had to create /lib/firmware and /lib/firmware/brcm on my Raspbian 8 jessie install.

But: it was working for about 6 months previously while essentially untouched. Is there any good reason this would disappear suddenly? I'm investigating SD card corruption, but this particular problem seems common enough perhaps there's some other reason? I don't really like either answer; it's not nice for an embedded device to change like that.

cort2
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

I have the same problem Pi3 has lost on board wifi and bluetooth.
I have tried all new installs but nothing helps.
fine works only usb wifi dongle.

Snitzelweck92
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:39 pm

@cort2,
Can you say, which dongle works for you? Because some people told me from the same problem with a dongle, because the chipset is the same..

Thanks

MaxK1
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I have 4 Pi 3's - One of them has a "problem" with the interface to the wifi side of the chip - BT works fine. Since that Pi now lives in a metal case, I wasn't too worried about it and installed an external USB adapter (either a Ralink or Realtek) depending on what I left plugged in. I think it got zapped moving the board from a "test" environment to its permanent home. Since then, I've been more careful to observe ESD precautions (it's the only Pi out of 14) that has any kind of "problem". On the other 3, wifi "works" but slower than an external dongle and more prone to re-tries and disconnects.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23082
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:12 pm

MaxK1 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:31 pm
I have 4 Pi 3's - One of them has a "problem" with the interface to the wifi side of the chip - BT works fine. Since that Pi now lives in a metal case, I wasn't too worried about it and installed an external USB adapter (either a Ralink or Realtek) depending on what I left plugged in. I think it got zapped moving the board from a "test" environment to its permanent home. Since then, I've been more careful to observe ESD precautions (it's the only Pi out of 14) that has any kind of "problem". On the other 3, wifi "works" but slower than an external dongle and more prone to re-tries and disconnects.
I'd be interested to know if the latest firmware has improved reties issue.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MaxK1
Posts: 1043
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

I think so ... I haven't really pushed them hard yet.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

freedom123
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am

My RPi3 is set up as a print server and connects to the home network using on-board wifi.
Disappointingly the Pi drops the wifi connection on its own and then the network printer connected to the Pi does not work.
Is dropping its wifi connection a known issue?
As a work around, I have connected the Pi to a Ethernet LAN and it is now stable.
This is not ideal and I would prefer the Pi to stay connected to the wifi.
Please advise.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23082
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:43 am

freedom123 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:26 am
My RPi3 is set up as a print server and connects to the home network using on-board wifi.
Disappointingly the Pi drops the wifi connection on its own and then the network printer connected to the Pi does not work.
Is dropping its wifi connection a known issue?
As a work around, I have connected the Pi to a Ethernet LAN and it is now stable.
This is not ideal and I would prefer the Pi to stay connected to the wifi.
Please advise.

There has been a long standing issues (well documented in the forum) with occasional drop outs under certain, seemingly rare, circumstances (do you get a 'mailbox' error in dmesg?). The recent firmware release was intended to improve matters, but had other issues, so was rolled back. We have fixed the problem with the new firmware so hopefully the next release will be more robust. No guarantees, but we are expecting decent improvements.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

freedom123
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for the explanation.
Will the new firmware install via update and when is it due?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23082
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am

freedom123 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 am
Thanks for the explanation.
Will the new firmware install via update and when is it due?
Yes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

linuxguy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:04 am

Can we get an update on when the new firmware will be released ? I have 2 boards that wifi doesn't work on.

linuxguy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:08 am

I assume the firmware you are speaking of is available here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware

What version should I be looking for to fix this issue ?

linuxguy123
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:01 am

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 am

# dmesg | grep brcm
[ 24.672293] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_map_chip_to_name: using brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin for chip 0x00a9a6(43430) rev 0x000001
[ 24.700279] usbcore: registered new interface driver brcmfmac
[ 24.793547] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt failed with error -2
[ 25.110993] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM43430A1.hcd failed with error -2
[ 25.111002] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM43430A1.hcd not found
[ 25.847270] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50
[ 26.858021] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_htclk: HT Avail timeout (1000000): clkctl 0x50

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23082
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: rpi3 wifi issues

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 am

linuxguy123 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:04 am
Can we get an update on when the new firmware will be released ? I have 2 boards that wifi doesn't work on.
It has been released. The latest Stretch install should get it all, as will apt update/apt upgrade.

Although not sure this will fix non-working boards. Even the old firmware and driver worked, just not in some particular circumstances. Best to try the latest image on a new SD card for testing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “Troubleshooting”