RDPUser

Disable graphical/ GUI wifi management, because it crashes RPI

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Following situation,

I have a TP-Link TL-WR802n mini Wifi AP. Setup is with an WPA2 key. However when it boots it has an unecrypted wifi under the choosen name for a few seconds. If raspi is powered up before the wifi router, raspi 3 just crashes, the mouse can't be moved anymore.
If AP was booted completely and then raspi 3 is turned on, everything is fine. If I then disconnect the AP from Power and turn on again, the raspi toolbar at the top of the monitor freezes. Time and CPU usage doesn't move forward anymore. The startmenu doesn't appear upon clicking. The mouse can be moved and icons on the desktop can be used. I think raspi is confused because the wifi is for a few secons unprotected.
An Raspi with stretch lite and manual wifi setup works flawlessy (with another router), so how can I disable the wifi management by the GUI? I think with disabling raspi will be more stable.
EDIT: After a short time it is also unusable.

EDIT: Tested with another PI3, just put the SD Card into it, same problem. It crashes right at the moment WIFI AP comes up.

n67

Re: Disable graphical/ GUI wifi management, because it crashes RPI

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 pm

I don't like the builtin WiFi management much either. It is one of those classic MicroSoft-y things - where it is all pretty and GUI and as long as it works, it is OK, but when it breaks, there's no fixing it.

I put "killall dhcpcd" in my /etc/rc.local, and that seems to pretty much take the GUI thing out of the picture.

Then I set up my own networking, using the usual commands (including dhclient, which is much better than dhcpcd).

I suggest you do likewise.

P.S. For those who don't like the brute force of using killall, you could also do one or more of:

1) dhcpcd -x

2) systemctl stop dhcpcd

3) systemctl disable dhcpcd
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

RDPUser

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks for your detailed answer. The problem might be also this
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=206083

Any idea how I can revert back to old wifi driver which seems to make the trouble?

RDPUser

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 pm

It was NOT the GUI wifi management.

Problem solved, see here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=206083&p=1279059#p1279059

Return to “Troubleshooting”