devenh

Getting the latest versions with apt-get

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 pm

I've noticed that apt-get often does not get the latest versions of packages. For instance, I like to use the ntp alternative chrony. apt-get installs version 1.30 from July, 2014 on my jessie system.

If I lookup chrony on packages.debian.org, I can see that different versions are listed for wheezy (1.24), jessie (1.30), stretch (3.0), buster (3.2), and sid (3.2).

Is packages.debian.org where apt-get looks for packages?

Who decides which package version is made available for the various OS releases?

When running jessie, can I force apt-get to install a newer version like 3.0 or 3.2?

wh7qq

Re: Getting the latest versions with apt-get

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:18 am

The software available on the Raspbian repositories and available to "apt" is dependent on the testing and adaptation of that software to the processor used on the RPi. The Raspbian developers depend on Debian for "stable" packages and may have to modify and/or recompile them for use with the armhf processors. This is mostly done by volunteer labor so it is not an instantaneous process. It happens when it happens. If you want newer packages, you may need to go to the source code and recompile it yourself and in the end it may or may not work. That is what the devs have to do. Take it or leave it...that is the reality of open source software. As it is free to use, it may take a bit longer.

If you have the skill (and I do not), you can get involved in this process for the package you are primarily interested in...or not.

klricks

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 am

Raspbian follows the Debian stable release process which is not a 'rolling update' system like many other distributions: https://www.debian.org/releases/
Expect a new release approximately every 2 years.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

bensimmo

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:39 am

One of the pains of Debian, you are stuck with whatever they left it as for that release.
Choices are you move to the next release.
You temporarily switch apt to the next release in the apt file (quite easily done in the desktop Add/Remove Software in the tick boxes), update with 'apt update' (refresh packages desktop version), then apt install proggy. and switch back you repository setting and update again.

But no idea if it'll work, or mess thing up etc.
Not ideal.

That or go make it yourself.
Why they are all in the same place as the OS stuff I don't know and can't just be used as individual programmes like other OS's I also don't know.

Some will like it this way, some don't, but it's what they (the RaspberryPi people) work and provide us with to use for the cost of the Pi. Which cannot really be complained about.

The alternative and only real solution is to goto the chrony website/github and compile it yourself and use that, if it works.

Return to “Raspbian”