robert.faris

If this is feasible - then I am going to need help

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:27 pm

https://thepi.io/how-to-use-your-raspbe ... ternative/

If we can produce these casting devices for our clients, then we may be on to something. But wondering if there is a way to have all this installed on a Pi - maybe via the use of an pre-programmed SD card that installs on power up? As you can tell I am a MKT guy - NOT a developer. Ultimately looking for a device that casts without the need for internet, wifi, or a smart TV. Chromecast and Miracast need a net connection and MHL devices are not made for enough devices.

Thanks, Bob

robert.faris

Re: If this is feasible - then I am going to need help

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

What do you want to 'cast' to where? Surely you need an internet connection to do it.
From a smart phone to a HD TV. As I understand it, the pi, using raspicast mirrors to the TV/RPi via SSH - no internet required. If someone does not have a "net" connection, they can watch - say Utube or Sling on their phone and "project" it to the TV screen.

PiGraham

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:54 pm

robert.faris wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:46 pm
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

What do you want to 'cast' to where? Surely you need an internet connection to do it.
From a smart phone to a HD TV. As I understand it, the pi, using raspicast mirrors to the TV/RPi via SSH - no internet required. If someone does not have a "net" connection, they can watch - say Utube or Sling on their phone and "project" it to the TV screen.
My mistake. I failed to click the link you posted and assumed a different sort of 'casting'.
I assume you only need the Pi and the casting device to be on the same WiFi network. You can get a Pi to host a WiFI network. Search "hostapd raspberry"

Try it.

PiGraham

Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 pm

But I'm curious. What USP do you think a Pi based device would have compared to Chromecast, Firestick, Smart TV's with the feature built in or any number of Android "TV sticks"?

robert.faris

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 am

But I'm curious. What USP do you think a Pi based device would have compared to Chromecast, Firestick, Smart TV's with the feature built in or any number of Android "TV sticks"?
Maybe I am missing the main point to begin with. I have been assuming the Pi set up would not require any net or wifi connectivity. If it does, than I have misguided myself from out of the gate. Don't understand your use of USP.... The only advantage to Pi over the above is not needing a net connection. If it does - well - that saves me a lot of time and money I guess - because it will not work as I intended. Ha. I was looking at a way to adding more mobile phone customers by going after the cord cutters. I want to be be able to cut the WHOLE cord and reply on the phone signal data only. So any internet connection cannot be used, or the cost is not as attractive.

robert.faris

And PiGraham - thanks

PiGraham

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:32 pm

robert.faris wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 am

Maybe I am missing the main point to begin with. I have been assuming the Pi set up would not require any net or wifi connectivity. If it does, than I have misguided myself from out of the gate. Don't understand your use of USP.... The only advantage to Pi over the above is not needing a net connection. If it does - well - that saves me a lot of time and money I guess - because it will not work as I intended. Ha. I was looking at a way to adding more mobile phone customers by going after the cord cutters. I want to be be able to cut the WHOLE cord and reply on the phone signal data only. So any internet connection cannot be used, or the cost is not as attractive.
You will need connectivity between, say, and Android phone and the 'Cast' receiving device.
I think Chromecast and FireStick can host a local WiFi network, since that's how you configure them.. This random search hit has some info.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel- ... ernet.html

I think the Pi could do the same, but I'm not sure it has any advantages over other common devices.

P.S. USP = "unique selling point"

fleebow8

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:09 am

Just sent you a PM :D

Return to “Wanted”