strawberry

High Endurance SD card

Sat May 06, 2017 9:37 am

hi,

Does anyone have experience with Sandisk High Endurance microSD cards and the Raspberry Pi?

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-car ... ce-microsd

Are they reliable, they will probably last longer in case of many writes but will they get corrupt in case of a power failure, reboot or watchdog? I know there is always a risk of getting a corrupt file system in case of a power failure but my experience is that some brands/types of SD cards have it more frequently than others. Some cards can't even handle a normal shutdown or reboot without getting corrupt...

NotRequired

Re: High Endurance SD card

Sat May 06, 2017 11:12 am

No, I do not have any experience with the specific card. SanDisk are IMHO producing the best SD-cards and if the endurance ones are actually better, they cannot be bad. There is a list of actual experiences with a lot of different card's - see if it is listed there: http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards
Please do not ask questions in private messages, they will not help others.

strawberry

Sat May 06, 2017 12:04 pm

TS32GUSDHC10 (32GB) says "NOK" doesn't boot :( but the TS16GUSDHC10 (16GB) is OK ...

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 06, 2017 12:09 pm

strawberry wrote:TS32GUSDHC10 (32GB) says "NOK" doesn't boot :( but the TS16GUSDHC10 (16GB) is OK ...

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

NotRequired

Sat May 06, 2017 12:47 pm

The product numbers for the high endurance cards in OP's post are: SDSDQQ-032G-G46A and SDSDQQ-064G-G46A - a 16GB version does not exist. So it seems like the card is not listed in either links provided.
Please do not ask questions in private messages, they will not help others.

peterlite

Sun May 07, 2017 4:47 am

Most Sandisk cards are shock proof and water proof. The HE cards add temperature protection up to 85 degrees instead of 60 degrees. You need that for a dashcam with the sunlight pouring in.

The most common failures in the world of Pi are file system errors due to power failure while writing. No card can prevent that. A small battery USP can stop the failures. There are also posts on converting your boot disk to read only and other approaches.

The posts on Sandisk cards failing at the hardware level almost always end up with a comment that the card was purchased off ebay. I buy the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme from legitimate suppliers when on sale. The cards survive people walking on them, rough handling with no static straps or any other protection, plus the occasional swim in fresh espresso, fruit juice, and rain water.

CarlRJ

Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 am

peterlite wrote:plus the occasional swim in fresh espresso, fruit juice, and rain water.
You know, despite popular rumors to the contrary, they don't actually like to swim, you don't have to keep putting them in liquid like that.

strawberry

Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 am

Well i have a Sandisk 64GB I didn't buy it on Ebay and is in my Pi for about 2 years running 24/7. Last week I wanted to create a backup before upgrading the system. I can read the data until +/- 3.8GB then I get an I/O error...

Another Transcend 16GB card I bought last week crashed during installation of Raspbian update. Had to unplug the power and tried to rewrite the image but the computer doesn't recognize the card anymore it was completely destroyed :roll: .

fruitoftheloom

Sun May 07, 2017 8:42 am

strawberry wrote:Well i have a Sandisk 64GB I didn't buy it on Ebay and is in my Pi for about 2 years running 24/7. Last week I wanted to create a backup before upgrading the system. I can read the data until +/- 3.8GB then I get an I/O error...

Another Transcend 16GB card I bought last week crashed during installation of Raspbian update. Had to unplug the power and tried to rewrite the image but the computer doesn't recognize the card anymore it was completely destroyed :roll: .
If you own a Raspberry Pi 2B V1.2 or 3B then boot from a USB SSD Drive :D

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-v ... b-30-super
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

strawberry

Sun May 28, 2017 8:33 am

I can now confirm the SDSDQQ-032G-G46A, 64GB version works perfect with the Raspberry. Can someone add it to the table?
The 16GB version from Transcend TS16GUSDHC10 is also working.

runboy93

Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm

"SDSQXCG-032G-GN6MA", might be best MicroSD card available and cost around 30€ (but RPi maybe doesn't support A1 standard, so might be same as earlier versions)

There was "Extreme Pro" cards listed as they don't work with RPi, but I can confirm that they do work with newest raspbian (earlier reports were from 2015 or something like that)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06XYHN68L

Morphy99

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm

I've been using Sandisk Ultrafit USB sticks as the main boot device and had a couple brick on me after a few months. They come with a 3 year warranty which I claimed on one successfully however Sandisk aren't honouring this now as its been used as a boot device and it's not designed for that?? Would like to know what they suggest as they also mention cards are not supported under warranty for this application!

ejolson

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 am

Morphy99 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:46 pm
however Sandisk aren't honouring this now as its been used as a boot device and it's not designed for that
Using an SD card in a Raspberry Pi voids the warranties from many manufacturers, not just Sandisk. With all the Raspberry Pi computers sold, there should be a market for cards designed to be used as storage in single-board computers. As far as I know, no major manufacturer has marketed such a card. I suspect a number of people would be willing to spend extra on a card with a warranty that covered use in the Raspberry Pi. Therefore, this might be an area where a small company could establish a reputable business. Right now the best solution from a warranty point of view might be to use a SATA SSD connected through a USB adapter.

clintpatty

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:58 am

If you're very serious, there's Swissbit, which still produces SLC cards. 8GB for $134. Do you remember FusionIO PCI-e cards? This is orders of magnitude above any other competitor that I have seen.

Morphy99

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 pm

clintpatty wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:58 am
If you're very serious, there's Swissbit, which still produces SLC cards. 8GB for $134. Do you remember FusionIO PCI-e cards? This is orders of magnitude above any other competitor that I have seen.
If you're very serious crazy :D
Interesting to know there's such a product out there though

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:20 pm

Warning. We have found some compatibility issues with Swissbit cards, so we do not recommend them.

It is not know where the incompatibilities arise, but since all other cards tested seem to work OK, we have our suspicions.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

clintpatty

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am

jamesh wrote:
Warning. We have found some compatibility issues with Swissbit cards, so we do not recommend them.

It is not know where the incompatibilities arise, but since all other cards tested seem to work OK, we have our suspicions.
Are you able to provide any more information? Product / model numbers of the cards with compatibility issues? Any without? Is anyone in contact with or working with Swissbit on this?

RaTTuS

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 am

high performance, high capacity /= High Endurance FYI
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:13 am

clintpatty wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am
jamesh wrote:

Are you able to provide any more information? Product / model numbers of the cards with compatibility issues? Any without? Is anyone in contact with or working with Swissbit on this?
Not sure of exact model numbers, and we did contact Swissbit, but its wasn't a particularly fruitful discussion.

Our opinion is that as far as we know all SD cards except Swissbit work, so it seems unlikely it's a problem at our end.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Paul Hutch

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

This high endurance card also gives guaranteed operation down to -25°C.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... video.html

HawaiianPi

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm

I tested a high Endurance micro-SD card from Silicon Power, and it worked fine in my Pi3B. Not as fast as the (non-HE) Samsung EVO+, but still a decent performer. The 32GB EVO+ is still the fastest card I have tested (and I've tested quite a few). There is a newer "EVO Plus" model that's supposedly not as good (I have one but haven't had the chance to test it yet).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

ejolson

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:37 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:16 pm
There is a newer "EVO Plus" model that's supposedly not as good (I have one but haven't had the chance to test it yet).
Please post your test results for the EVO Plus. I've been happily using Samsung cards since the B+ came out, but again not the EVO Plus. I wonder what the recommended good cards are these days.

ab1jx

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:10 pm

peterlite wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 4:47 am
Most Sandisk cards are shock proof and water proof. The HE cards add temperature protection up to 85 degrees instead of 60 degrees. You need that for a dashcam with the sunlight pouring in.

The posts on Sandisk cards failing at the hardware level almost always end up with a comment that the card was purchased off ebay. I buy the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme from legitimate suppliers when on sale. The cards survive people walking on them, rough handling with no static straps or any other protection, plus the occasional swim in fresh espresso, fruit juice, and rain water.

Yeah, I remember overturning a canoe once and the SD survived but the Nikon it was in didn't. It was probably a Sandisk.

Ultras don't work well in dashcams https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/rec ... ltra-cards They liked a Transcend 400x though. I wouldn't touch an SD card from eBay. All of mine for several years have come from Adorama Camera or B&H Photo, they're both legit sellers and usually about the best price in price search engines. BTW I ordered a 64 GB Extreme to try out before I saw this thread. https://www.adorama.com/idsmsdmc64g.htm ... BgQAvD_BwE

jbreda

sandisk sd cards

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:29 pm

just returned a failed 64gb sandisk ultra that was in a raspberry pi. I was informed by sandisk that ONLY their high endurance cards are suitable and they will not honour the warranty for their other cards if used in a RPi. What a surprise!!!

To quote:
Dear Mr. ,
Thank you for the prompt response and the information provided.
I’d like to inform you that SanDisk® retail memory cards, which include yours, are not qualified or recommended for use in a Raspberry device. Indeed, this wears out the lifetime of the card and voids the warranty.
That said, as a one-time courtesy, we will replace the card for you. Also, we do not recommend that you use the new card in your Raspberry device, otherwise this will void the warranty.
Finally, we recommend using our High Endurance cards with your Raspberry device.

Thank you for your attention. I am about to approve your RMA and will send you the instructions and prepaid label to return it to our depot.

Best regards,

SanDisk® Global Customer Care

glenneroo

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Nothing wrong with that IMO - different products for different use cases. I've been using the High Endurance cards for a couple months now, they aren't that much more expensive. I'm especially curious to see if they will last longer than the cheap "retail" cards (I lost a SanDisk card a few months ago after about 1 year of 24/7 as NTP server running Raspbian OS), especially since an official recommendation has leaked out onto the internet.

Return to “General discussion”