jeep

Beginners help required to varify downloaded OS

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

I am trying to help my son with this crappy pi thing - I had hoped it would be an introduction to programming & computing (other than switching on & gaming away), similar to when we had ZX81 but nothing could be further from the truth.
We have trawled all the beginners advice and found 90% to be gobbledy gook, requiring a lot of previous knowledge and no where near simple enough for us to follow step by step.
What we have done:

Downloaded os image from:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/downlo ... 4-2012.zip
This has given us 2 files:
debian6-19-04-2012
debian6-19-04-2012.img.sha1

We have followed the instructions on :
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/verify ... image.html
to try to varify the code:
1852df83a11ee7083ca0e5f3fb41f93ecc59b1c8

We did this by using the cmd prompt and dragging the exe image file & then the debian6-19-4-2012 file but the number returned does not match.
So we re-downloaded and followed the instructions again - still the number does not match, but it matches the original files number....?

I have also tried to down load the windows mirror file win32diskimager but nothing seemed to download. But not sure what this does....

Also we have tried to follow the beginners advise on here & elsewhere but reading the comments on "partitioning" the cards and lack of possible correction if wrong, plus all kinds of problems with set ups, languages, systems - I really wonder if it really is for true beginners.

Is there anything out there, that is truly a stroke for stroke beginners guide? that actually explains what an image, mirror file and all the other jargon is, as we have spent more time trying to understand the gobbledy gook than actually do anything else.

This is really frustrating as I want my son to research this independantly & make it work rather than sit blanking it out, as it is way to full of jargon and seems to require an awful lot of previous knowledge.

cheers for any help.

joan

Re: Beginners help required to varify downloaded OS

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:12 pm

The website shows the sha-1 checksum for the zip file and can be used to confirm it has been downloaded properly.

The zip archive has the sha-1 checksum for the image (.img file) to be written to the sd card. This checksum confirms that the zip archive has been expanded properly.

windiskimager is the Windows utility used to write the image to the sd card. Try a different mirror (a mirror just means a site which keeps a copy of the utility).

Don't worry about partitions at this stage.

jeep

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks Joan
Is this what you mean:
The checksum shown below, given by the web site :
1852df83a11ee7083ca0e5f3fb41f93ecc59b1c8
Is actually for the whole zip file ?
Not for the expanded file.??
and
that the second file in the zip is another check code for the expanded image file ?
I think that makes sense... I will try later.
Thanks

joan

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

Yes, that is right.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:22 pm

jeep wrote:I am trying to help my son with this crappy pi thing - I had hoped it would be an introduction to programming & computing (other than switching on & gaming away), similar to when we had ZX81 but nothing could be further from the truth.
Not the best way to start a request for help on the Raspi forums....

Please remember we in the initial stages of software and documentation for this project - it's a bit rough round the edges, but all the information you need is here or on the Wiki.

I'd suggest downloading the very latest image, as posted about today, this has a much better configuration screen on first boot to help you set the device up, and is a lot faster.

It's not essential to verify the checksums, they are really just to confirm that you have actually got what you wanted, rather than perhaps a hacked copy.

Win32Diskimager is a windows program for taking the image, and putting it on an SD card - you don't need to partition, the image already contains that information.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jeep

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks guys!
I have made sure that the image file is not corrupt and have downloaded Win32Disklamager and tomorrow I hope to start up my rasberry pi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maddogdave

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 pm

The sha1sum check on a downloaded image confused me at first as I was checking the unzipped file rather than the zipped one - the instructions didn't give detail on this. I've had mine for a while now and can confirm that the Raspberry Pi is a great device. Software is still in its infancy of development and the massive demand has lead to many people getting their hands on one (myself included) who have little knowledge of the programming and operating system. It's a good learning curve, and the posts on the forum have been a great help. But with so many people, so much development work and so many questions being raised it has become difficult for the beginner now if you haven't been reading this forum for the past few months to try to search for the right information. Stick with it, will be worth it in the end.
Dave

nick.mccloud

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:35 pm

This is not the first time having two SHA's and no notes has caused an issue ....

klahorse

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 am

I'm in a similar position. By no means a complete computer novice but also frustrated at how the basic help jumps from assuming no knowledge ("this is what a USB slot looks like") to quite advanced stuff without walking through the steps in between. I have an approved SD have downloaded and unzipped wheezy and can't get it to load onto the card using win32diskimager or fedora arm. The help here just assumes these will work. The programmes claim to have worked and yet the SD card is still blank

jrraines

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:46 am

from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/verify ... image.html
3. Run "/usr/bin/openssl sha1" (without the quotes), then put a space, drag the image file into the command prompt
it is no wonder he is frustrated. Why would he know to drag the .zip file when the instruction says to drag the image file? he has a file that says .img and used it as he was instructed.
Maybe blaming the novice user should not be the first thing that comes to mind?

Old Macdonald

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:22 pm

I purchased an SD with OS preloaded which booted first time. However browsing around I saw that Wheezy is the latest Debian OS, so I spent a large portion of yesterday afternoon digging around for an image to download and then placing the image on a 2GB SD. I then noted that the SD supplied by RS is 4GB, but I seem to have to away with it. Apparently not all of the SD's content is visible with Windows Explorer because Windows can't recognise all of the file formats, so the SD appears to be emptier than it really is.

I obtained my Wheezy image from the download page on this site. As an electronics engineer I am quite used to following instructions slavishly (or not!!) and so ran the SHA-1 checksum routine without unzipping the image 'cos it hadn't told me to unzip it! I also looked up SHA-1 on Wikipedia to find out what it was, as it was not explained on this site. It probably is, but I was taking the easiest way out. The checksum matched, so I then downloaded Win32diskimager and successfully made an image on my SD.

I agree that the 'How to do its' are not to easy to follow if you have no idea of what you are doing, like me, but perseverance seems to be the key. I recall the same struggle with Basic on a Commodore PET, and then BBC BASIC on the Beeb and Archimedes (which had the first ARM chip). It wasn't long before I could write quite complex BASIC programmes.

I think this forum is a great help, and, after all, my silly questions are probably only silly because I think they are!

Regards

Old Mac

Old Macdonald

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm

jeep wrote:Thanks guys!
I have made sure that the image file is not corrupt and have downloaded Win32Disklamager and tomorrow I hope to start up my rasberry pi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeep . . did you succeed?

rpdom

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Old Macdonald wrote:... and then BBC BASIC on the Beeb and Archimedes (which had the first ARM chip).
<mode="pedant">The Archmedes had the second ARMchip (and the third if you could afford the later ARM3 upgrade). The ARM Development System used the first production chip and was used as a second processor unit for the BBC micro range. It was available with (IIRC) 1 or 4MB of RAM and ran at 3MHz. I had one for a while.
</mode>

:-)

Old Macdonald

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 pm

rpdom wrote:
Old Macdonald wrote:... and then BBC BASIC on the Beeb and Archimedes (which had the first ARM chip).
<mode="pedant">The Archmedes had the second ARMchip (and the third if you could afford the later ARM3 upgrade). The ARM Development System used the first production chip and was used as a second processor unit for the BBC micro range. It was available with (IIRC) 1 or 4MB of RAM and ran at 3MHz. I had one for a while.
</mode>

:-)
PROC Pedant mode turbo
Ah but only posh people could afford the later Beebs! I had a heavily modified BBC A with Watford and Solidisk mods before jumping straight to the Archie, which I still have, with ARM3 chip waiting to be installed. So the Archie's ARM chip was the first one I had come across!

Seriously, I still think that the ARM chip's development is a remarkable success story.
*FX (0)
RETURN

RandomCoder

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:03 pm

joan wrote:windiskimager is the Windows utility used to write the image to the sd card. Try a different mirror (a mirror just means a site which keeps a copy of the utility).
Please, please, those that are responsible change the link to windiskimager on the downloads page. Softpedia is so bloated with adverts that it is far too easy for a beginner to accidentally click on the wrong link :x .
Why not link directly to the developers website, or better still, directly to the required download windiskimager, this has already been asked elsewhere in the forum (yes I realise this may put a strain on the developers site, but I feel it would be better than use softpedia).

Kind regards,
RandomCoder
"Defeat never comes to any man until he admits it."Josephus Daniels

Return to “Beginners”