Supermerlin

Running OnShape on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspian

Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:29 am

Hallo,

can someone help me saving time? I am trying for a while to use OneShape (a very powerfull 3D CAD Software) on a Raspberry Pi 3 (OS is Raspbian) - but when I try to work on one of my parts in OneShape I allways receive an Error Message, that my GL driver is blocked. Has somebody an idea how to get it work, or is there no way and I can stop loosing time?

Thanks a lot, best regards
Supermerlin

topguy

Re: Running OnShape on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspian

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 pm

And this is software that costs 125$ per month, per user ? Seriously buy a proper computer. On the list of the generic tasks I feel the Raspberry Pi is the least capable of, the top entry is CAD.

But an answer you will get regardless, you can try enabling the experimental OpenGL driver using "sudo raspi-config".
After some more googling I found that OnShape actually runs in a browser, and needs WebGL so Chromium browser is also required I would guess.

Also: https://newscrewdriver.com/2017/05/24/f ... erry-pi-3/

Supermerlin

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks for your answer,

yes I know that OnShape could be to power consuming for the RPI3 - and I still work on different Notebooks using OnShape. But I love the idea of working and doing all my stuff on the Raspberry Pi. That was the reason for my question.
Onshape is for free if you use the "public" license (don´t know the real name). So you can use OnShape, but every one else can see your designs and use them for his own work - which is no problem for me.

Best regards,
Clemens

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

Supermerlin wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm
Thanks for your answer,

yes I know that OnShape could be to power consuming for the RPI3 - and I still work on different Notebooks using OnShape. But I love the idea of working and doing all my stuff on the Raspberry Pi. That was the reason for my question.
Onshape is for free if you use the "public" license (don´t know the real name). So you can use OnShape, but every one else can see your designs and use them for his own work - which is no problem for me.

Best regards,
Clemens

Try it and see, but in their Forums most recommend a "faster" machine:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/47 ... r-hardware
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Supermerlin

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks again for the link - I will read through the forum - maybe I´ll find help for my problem.

Best regards, Clemens

Supermerlin

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:44 pm

Today I had time to install my new Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) - impressed by the huge speed increase I tried to start onshape in the browser.

IT IS WORKING !!!

I had to report this, best regards, Clemens

Return to “Troubleshooting”