SAMMYVL

Windows 7

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:43 pm

I tried downloading the windows 7 software onto the microSD card. When I hooked it up to my TV, nothing happened. Is windows 7 supposed to be able to work on a raspberry pi? If so how?

Heater

Re: Windows 7

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm

No.

Windows software runs on Intel processors. The Raspi has an ARM processor. They have totally incompatible instruction sets.

There are versions of Windows that runs on ARM. But then then the rest of the hardware is incompatible.

There is some kind of Windows that runs on the Pi but it is not a desktop system like Win 7.

It is possible to run some Windows software on the Pi under emulation. But I'm sure that if it works at all it's far too slow to be useful.

This question comes up here every other day. There should be a big red banner somewhere that announces these simple facts to beginners.

Why would anyone want to do this anyway?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:13 pm

SAMMYVL wrote:
I tried downloading the windows 7 software onto the microSD card. When I hooked it up to my TV, nothing happened. Is windows 7 supposed to be able to work on a raspberry pi? If so how?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#topSoftware

Why do you believe it is feasible to run Windows 7 ??
Retired disgracefully.....

W. H. Heydt

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:20 pm

SAMMYVL wrote:
No, it won't work. What program(s) do you want to run on your Pi? We may be able to help you find Linux substitutes that will do the same job that have been compiled to run on a Pi.

The only MS system that will run on a Pi is Windows 10 IoT. That is *not* what you think of as Windows. It is an "Internet of Things" system and requires a Win10 PC to work with it. To get to what you probably think of as a "normal" desktop, download and install Raspbian.

As for the somewhat cranky responses above... Yes, this is a frequent misunderstanding of the Pi, but any given person only makes it once. This time of year is one where there are far more than the average number of newcomers to the Pi. My apologies that you got snapped at. Long time posters need to be patient, especially in this post-Christmas environment where many people were given their first Pis as presents. We were all new to the Pi once.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:42 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:20 pm
SAMMYVL wrote:
No, it won't work. What program(s) do you want to run on your Pi? We may be able to help you find Linux substitutes that will do the same job that have been compiled to run on a Pi.

The only MS system that will run on a Pi is Windows 10 IoT. That is *not* what you think of as Windows. It is an "Internet of Things" system and requires a Win10 PC to work with it. To get to what you probably think of as a "normal" desktop, download and install Raspbian.

As for the somewhat cranky responses above... Yes, this is a frequent misunderstanding of the Pi, but any given person only makes it once. This time of year is one where there are far more than the average number of newcomers to the Pi. My apologies that you got snapped at. Long time posters need to be patient, especially in this post-Christmas environment where many people were given their first Pis as presents. We were all new to the Pi once.

My response was a request for further elucidation.

HawaiianPi

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:47 pm

SAMMYVL wrote:
Simple answer, no. The Raspberry Pi is a Linux computer, and the officially supported OS is Raspbian (based on Debian GNU/Linux).

Any other explanations of IoT, emulation and other such things is just going to confuse you, so ignore them. You can't run Windows or Windows software in any practical, useful sense on a Raspberry Pi computer. Use the official Raspbian OS and find Linux equivalents to the Windows software you want to run (for example, LibreOffice instead of Microsoft Office).

Also note that the Raspberry Pi3 is not a fast computer by any normal measure of performance. It is the fastest Raspberry Pi (up to 10X faster than the original), but compared to most modern mainstream computers it is quite slow. It can be used as a general purpose desktop, and for some things it will perform fine, but expect it to be frustratingly slow at times.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

overlord santoski

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:49 am

Windows 7 is a really bulky operating system the newer models of Raspberry Pi may have quad core processors in them but they just lack the power to run Windows 7 in matter that is stable Raspberry Pi is just not meant to run Windows I'd say the closest thing you could get is Ubuntu mate but I haven't even figured out how to install it if you could figure it out please tell me but sadly Raspberry Pi wax the processing capacity and it also Lacks hardware and power to do it depending on what you're planning on using it for you might find that Raspberry Pi can already do that with the operating system that comes as default

overlord santoski

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am

overlord santoski wrote:
Windows 7 is a really bulky operating system the newer models of Raspberry Pi may have quad core processors in them but they just lack the power to run Windows 7 in matter that is stable Raspberry Pi is just not meant to run Windows I'd say the closest thing you could get is Ubuntu mate but I haven't even figured out how to install it if you could figure it out please tell me but sadly Raspberry Pi wax the processing capacity and it also Lacks hardware and power to do it depending on what you're planning on using it for you might find that Raspberry Pi can already do that with the operating system that comes as default
with some limitations of course

overlord santoski

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:53 am

There is however a very small version of Windows 10 available for Raspberry Pi depending on what model you have if you have the old model it will not work

overlord santoski

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 am

overlord santoski wrote:
There is however a very small version of Windows 10 available for Raspberry Pi depending on what model you have if you have the old model it will not work
addition to that this version of Windows 10 that I'm talking about is extremely Limited but if you plan to do experiments that interact with motors sensors Etc then it's the operating system for you

fruitoftheloom

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 am

overlord santoski wrote:

Windows 10 IoT Core bears no resemblance to Windows 10 Desktop Edition :roll: :roll:

This post was about installing Windows 7 Desktop Edition and if you read the OP's other post it is clear no research was taken upon prior to purchasing a Raspberry Pi..........................

n67

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Why should you expect someone to do research?

You don't have to do research when you buy a toaster - or a microwave - you just buy it, bring it home, plug it in, and it works.

Why shouldn't computers be the same?
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Jednorozec

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:27 pm

n67 wrote:

You don't have to do research when you buy a toaster - or a microwave - you just buy it, bring it home, plug it in, and it works.

Operating a computer is a bit more complicated than using a toaster.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

JumpZero

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:42 pm

overlord santoski wrote:
the newer models of Raspberry Pi may have quad core processors in them but they just lack the power to run Windows 7
As mentioned by others above it is because of microprocessor instruction set not processing power. Windows is designed for Intel x86. The Raspberry pi is based on ARM. they are totally different but the Pi is as powerfull as an old (hum let's say something like 10 or 15 years) x86 computer running Windows.

HawaiianPi

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:49 pm

n67 wrote:

I research everything I spend my hard earned money on. If you don't, well... :roll:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DougieLawson

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:27 pm
n67 wrote:

Operating a computer is a bit more complicated than using a toaster.
Some of us do research buying a microwave (since you only do that about once every twenty years or so). We did the research and replaced our 1980's Sharp with a 21st century Sharp [brand loyalty wins].

With an IoT connected toaster [Yes, one does exist. No, I don't know why] you're going to want to research that to ensure you don't get one which isn't susceptible to an IoT DDOS attack, it could burn your house down when a bad actor gets control.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Heater

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:05 pm

n67,

If one want's a computer that is like a toaster appliance then go ahead and buy one. I believe Microsoft, Apple, Google etc have a wide range of such toasters to choose from.

Be sure to buy the right kind of toaster appliance though. An MS toaster cannot run the same software as an Apple toaster. And so on.

If one want's a computer that is like a toaster appliance then why on earth is one buying a Raspberry Pi?

On the other hand, the Pi does indeed work like a toaster appliance for me. I make an SD image, plug it all together, power it up and boom, it's all ready to do all the computing I want. Mostly computing those other toaster appliances cannot do.

Please tell me your post was in jest.

n67

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:15 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:49 pm
n67 wrote:

I research everything I spend my hard earned money on. If you don't, well... :roll:
Then you're wasting a lot of your time. The point is, you shouldn't have to.

I feel sorry for you.

Epmu Sn!

Heater

Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm

Then you're wasting a lot of your time. The point is, you shouldn't have to.

I feel sorry for you.
Please tell me you are joking again.

If not, I have news for you.

There is this thing people often call "the real world".

In the real world people, companies, corporations, etc will try to to sell you any old crap for the highest price you will pay. The cheaper and shoddier they can make it, the higher price they can get out of you, the happier they are.

In this real world it's up to you not to waste your money on crap. When people aren't actually ripping you off, if you don't know what you are buying you are going to end up with a house full of random stuff you did not actually want.

If that is how you operate then I'm sure we should all feel sorry for you.

Back to our original question: Buying a Raspberry Pi when you actually wanted a Windows computer is like buying a soldering iron when what you wanted was a toaster. I would not call spotting the difference "research".

Honestly, I believe you are joking, just trying to wind us up.

pcmanbob

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:28 pm

I think what you are seeing here is just a sign of the times.

Back in the day when I first started looking a computers your had many different makes all running there own software you had
the Sinclair zx80/81 running there own basic , the BBC running its own basic, the Atari with its own basic and so on,and every one did there own programming to some extent because that's all there was, then along came the IBM-PC and all the clones that followed and they all ran versions of DOS and user programming vanished to be replaced with commercially produced programs.

Then along came Microsoft and its windows which in a short time pushed all the other GUI's out of the picture, so every PC you purchased either came with or recommend windows. So later generations have grown up knowing no other operating system, they have just become windows users and know nothing of programming or even how the system works.

Then back in 2012 along come what would become the Raspberry Pi Foundation who produced the raspberry pi we have all come to know and love the problem is you have a generation or two that think that all computers run windows because that's all they have known.

May be if a few years you will start to see the new generation that is more open minded as to what operating system a computer/PC should run all thanks to the raspberry pi.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Heater

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:47 pm

All of that is my observation as well.

It was also Eben Upton's observation. It was that which prompted him to start the Pi project.

Except, without the Pi, the Arduino and the like I imagine it's even worse. There seems to be a generation that has never used even a Windows PC or Mac. Their only experience of computers is phones and tablets.

n67

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm

That was my point. That in the minds of most people, if you buy something that is sold as a "computer", then, of course, it runs Windows. The point is that there are basic assumptions that we make about the things we buy - things that just aren't going to be explicitly stated in any of the attendant materials (aka, "documentation"). For example, if I buy a box of cereal, there's a basic assumption that it will a) "just work" and b) Won't kill me.

Similarly, if (the average person) buys "a computer", the assumption is it runs Windows. To find out otherwise, is a shock.

Now, obviously, none of this applies to smart people like you and me. But it does to the average consumer. And they shouldn't have to worry about such niceties as which CPU it has in it or whatever... They shouldn't have to "research" things...

Note, BTW, that if you buy a "smartphone" or a "tablet", then there is no such default assumption - that it runs Windows. So, we see that that's part of the problem - that lots of people on this forum like to claim that the RPi is a computer. Again, smart people like you and me know that it is. In fact, we know that those things that are sold as "smartphones" or "tablets" are also, for all practical purposes, "computers" too. But that's not how they are sold.

Thus, in a way, I often thing that the RPi should not be sold as a "computer". Exactly what it is is somewhat unclear, but in a lot of ways, it is more like a smartphone/tablet or, maybe, a Roku, than it is like a "normal" computer.

So, there it is. I'm done ranting...

Epmu Sn!

Heater

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Let's keep it simple. The Raspberry Pi is a computer.

Not "claimed to be" or just called that. It is actually a computer.

There is no reason to call it anything other than a computer.

The average person, is not about to be buying a Raspberry Pi computer by accident when they wanted a Windows machine or a Mac. Even "average" is not that stupid or miss-informed.

In my experience most people don't actually want a computer, they just want that toaster appliance to surf the web and play games and media on.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

n67 wrote:

You might not do any research before buying a microwave or a toaster, but I would. That way, when I bring it home and plug it in I know it will fit where I want to put it, it will do the things I want it to do, and it won't start tripping circuit breakers. Perhaps be have different ideas about what constitutes "research".

W. H. Heydt

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:21 pm

n67 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:57 pm
Now, obviously, none of this applies to smart people like you and me. But it does to the average consumer. And they shouldn't have to worry about such niceties as which CPU it has in it or whatever... They shouldn't have to "research" things...
Well...the purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to be educational. Finding out that "computer" is not equivalent to "runs Windows" is certainly going to be educational.

Return to “General discussion”