ced92

Ever changing wifi MAC address after reboot

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi all,

I would like to set a local static address for my raspberry Pi 3 that doesn't change after reboot.
My wifi router can set the local address to be static according to the MAC address.
Unfortunately, after reboot, the RPi3 presents each time an unpredictible, to me at least, MAC address , and thus the wifi router can't set the local address to a static local address, e.g. 192.168.0.10 .
Actually after reboots I get 192.168.0.15, then 192.168.0.17 and so on...
Some of the MAC address associated with the wlan0 interface didn't start with b8:27:eb: .. , for instance : 0x529b04e7685b ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cédric

HawaiianPi

Re: Ever changing wifi MAC address after reboot

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:43 am

The MAC address is encoded in hardware and cannot be changed, however it can be spoofed in software, but Raspbian does not do that by default, so you must have installed something that is messing with the network settings.

Write a default Raspbian image to another card and test that with no changes and you'll have a stable MAC address. Then go back to your first card and figure out what you added that's messing with MAC addresses.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

mikerr

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:44 am

What does /proc/cpuinfo say ? (is revision all zeroes?)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

ced92

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Hello,
I am really sorry for that late answer :oops: . I live in 2 places, my laptop battery was out and I had forgotten in the other place the battery charger of the laptop. So no way for me to connect to the forum for a while.

Actually /proc/cpuinfo gives for Revision: a02082 and Serial begins with 8 leading zeros followed by 8 characters.

I have already installed some programs on this raspberry pi, and think it would not be that easy , at least for me, to compare the differences between a, raspbian image and the system on this sd-card.

Thanks for your answers

Return to “Raspbian”