RunningOut

Raspberry Pi 3 communicating with OBD2 using ELM327 interface

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Well, greetings to everyone here. Wasn't entirely sure what to file this under but this seemed the most logical.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 here, with this kit https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... en-display
I've followed a couple of guides on how to connect to the OBD2 port of a car but I just can't seem to actually get the result any of the guides show.
http://www.instructables.com/id/OBD-Pi/
http://gersic.com/connecting-your-raspb ... i-adapter/
And I'm pretty sure I've tried others, too.

I have both a ELM327 interface which can be approached by bluetooth as one which has a USB connector. However, whenever I attempt to connect through bluetooth I get a "org.bluez.error.notavailable" for which the most common suggestion was "fix your bluetooth installation".
Well, one more guide for doing that and the result hasn't changed.
I've also had "this device has no services which can be used with Raspberry Pi" (which is obviously a lie as those tutorials prove)

As for the USB one, I've been trying to get a read/write connection going but I'm pretty sure that I'm either misunderstanding the instructions or perhaps I'm mistaken in how to achieve my goal.

And my goal, as with most people that attempt some Frankenstein project with Raspberry Pi and OBD2, is to ask the car's computer for information (RPM, speed, warning lights, did I just run over a cat? (at this point I'll take any information I can get)) and show it on the screen.

Any advice and suggestions are very much appreciated because I've run out of ideas on what to try. If you tell me that ritualistically sacrificing a chicken will make it work then I'll consider it.

Sonsonmcnugget

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 communicating with OBD2 using ELM327 interface

Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 am

I am having same problem and still looking for a solution. I also get the "this device has no services which can be used with Raspberry Pi" and can't figure how where to go or what to do. Wondering if you were able to figure it out.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 am

Sonsonmcnugget wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 am
I am having same problem and still looking for a solution. I also get the "this device has no services which can be used with Raspberry Pi" and can't figure how where to go or what to do. Wondering if you were able to figure it out.

This is an ancient blog but gives much information:

http://gersic.com/connecting-your-raspb ... i-adapter/
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Douglas6

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:51 pm

That link that fruitoftheloom posted is rather old. I would first set up the Bluetooth Serial Port Profile on the Pi, following these instructions: viewtopic.php?p=947185#p947185.

Then you'll need to scan for the OBDII and pair with it using bluetoothctl. Some searching should find you instructions for that.

Then try running this command:

Code: Select all

sudo rfcomm connect hci0 AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
but using the Bluetooth device address of you OBDII. You should then have a /dev/rfcomm0 device that you can use to talk to the OBDII with minicom or picocom or Python or whatever.

alexyang

Wed May 30, 2018 2:47 am

i've managed to pair elm327 bluetooth to raspberry pi, but i still can not get data from OBD2. Is there someone who can help

Trigo

Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 am

Same issue here!
Beat psychologically with a stick :?:

rafalbrz

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Issue here seems to be R/W permissions to serial port. OBD connects but can't pull data. Raspberry Pi 1 connects no problem. I tried reproducing the steps during RPi 3 install and can't get it to work.

rafalbrz

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:07 am

Finally got ELM-327 to talk over Bluetooth. I had to disable the internal adapter and install an eternal USB dongle. Now it's talking like a charm :D :D :D

Disable Bluetooth boot.
$ sudo nano /boot/config.txt
insert this line "dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt"

Disable systemd service that initializes Bluetooth Modems connected by UART.
$ sudo systemctl disable hciuart

Then reboot and voila!

Return to “Other projects”