d'z00

Installing software packages: GUI vs terminal

Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am

Hello

This is my first Pi, and also I have limited Linux experience. I have installed the recommended Raspbian Desktop.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but this is my problem.

First using this OS, I decided to use the GUI Add/Remove Programs to install some software. Click on the one you want (it takes an awful long time to load searches, categories etc) and more stuff happens, more info appears at the bottom. Now I see that if I right click, there is a "Install" button. I think checking the check box does the same thing. More progress bars. Now the box is open, and a + icon in front of it. This item shows up in "Pending" but no where else on the OS. Restart Raspbian, nothing happens.

I found out how to use [c]sudo apt-get install[/c] and to find the package name with [c]sudo apt-cache search searchterm[/c]. By this method I could install the desired package. Why did the GUI not work? Am I not seeing something I should?

klricks

Re: Installing software packages: GUI vs terminal

Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:24 am

The Add / Remove Software is very basic Package Manager and lacks a lot of features and is a bit quirky, but does work.

First you need to do this before attempting to do any installs or updates (same day or so): [Options] --> [Refresh Package Lists]
Then it is a good idea to do [Options] --> [Check for Updates] from time to time.

- Left click on an item to see the description.
- To install a package check the box and then click [Apply] or [OK]
- Note that packages that already have a check are already installed.
- You will be asked for the password. If you have not changed it then it is: raspberry
- The package will then be installed. If you clicked [OK] then the Add / Remove program will abruptly exit after the install.

- Some items shown are add-ons to other packages. If you install an add-on when the base package is not yet installed then nothing much happens. Sometimes it is hard to know which you are supposed to install.

-Some packages may not work well on the RPi. There are over 55,000 available packages, most of which probably have never been tried on a RPi.

- In general after install, the package name will show up in the menu with same category name. For example Games.... BUT the start icon may appear in a different menu or not at all.

I prefer to use the Synaptic PM as it has many good features. For example you can search for and list all installed package which can't be done easily in the Add / Remove tool.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic
Also there is Aptitude PM which is already installed and offers an 'old school' text menu.

sudo aptitude
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

broe23

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:17 am

For a Headless unit you use WEbmin to manage or learn how to the use the text based Synaptic manager which is a PITA.

thunderknight99

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 pm

Get Real VNC server first if you are running headless (Other VNCs seem to show some kind of display error when running GUI stuffs).
First of all update & upgrade everything.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade
Then install Synaptic

sudo apt-get install synaptic
Enable VNC sudo raspi-config. Use Real VNC Viewer. Then run synaptic either by manually clicking on the icon via RPi's GUI or via console

sudo synaptic
to launch its GUI.

It will provide the instructions to download and install packages (its simple to figure out by hovering over the tabs as well)

klricks

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Just to clarify so there is no confusion.... The OP never asked about 'headless' operation........ So posts about that are not relevant.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:49 pm

d'z00 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am
Hello

This is my first Pi, and also I have limited Linux experience. I have installed the recommended Raspbian Desktop.

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but this is my problem.

First using this OS, I decided to use the GUI Add/Remove Programs to install some software. Click on the one you want (it takes an awful long time to load searches, categories etc) and more stuff happens, more info appears at the bottom. Now I see that if I right click, there is a "Install" button. I think checking the check box does the same thing. More progress bars. Now the box is open, and a + icon in front of it. This item shows up in "Pending" but no where else on the OS. Restart Raspbian, nothing happens.

I found out how to use [c]sudo apt-get install[/c] and to find the package name with [c]sudo apt-cache search searchterm[/c]. By this method I could install the desired package. Why did the GUI not work? Am I not seeing something I should?

Yes Synaptic GUI Package Manager, as above stated, is the best way to find if software is available from the Raspbian Respositories....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Return to “Beginners”