PiFan_123

Re: Screenly OSE -- Digital Signage for the Raspberry Pi

Sat May 20, 2017 10:14 am

I have some trouble with the duration settings for ech asset in Screenly OSE. The configured duration for each asset does not match the real display duration on the screen.
Even if I set the duration to 5 or 10 seconds the asset (e.g. image) will show up for at least 25 or 30 seconds. Reducing the duration for the assets in steps of 5 seconds also reduces the display time of these assets in steps of 5 seconds. Configuring the asset to show up for 1 second leads to the asset showing up on the screen for about 21 seconds. Is there anything I could do to fix this problem? Is there another "timeout" of 20 seconds that I can disable in Screenly OSE?
Thank you

vpetersson

Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Hey guys,

I just wanted to let you know that we've released a new companion tool to Screenly, namely a WordPress plugin that makes WordPress content more friendly for big screens. It's Open Source and available in the WordPress Plugin directory today.

You can read more about it here:
https://news.screenly.io/introducing-sc ... 7ff26667b7
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.
Twitter: @vpetersson | vpetersson.com

hen3bosch

Trouble starting LSB screenly_net_mgr

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Hello,

I'm having problems starting screenly up with the same issue as https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/454 "screenly_net_mgr.service is broken #454" on github.

I do have networking connected after startup. It only just starts in the CLI.

I'm only having this problem when on wifi. When the cable is connected it starts just normal.

I'm using a raspberry pi B (the first one).

Any help how to solve this problem?

Kind regards,

Hendrie

vpetersson

Re: Trouble starting LSB screenly_net_mgr

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 pm

hen3bosch wrote:Hello,

I'm having problems starting screenly up with the same issue as https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/454 "screenly_net_mgr.service is broken #454" on github.

I do have networking connected after startup. It only just starts in the CLI.

I'm only having this problem when on wifi. When the cable is connected it starts just normal.

I'm using a raspberry pi B (the first one).

Any help how to solve this problem?

Kind regards,

Hendrie
I'd suggest you try upgrading to the latest release. We've made some improvement since. I'd also remove /boot/network.ini if you're not using the network manager in Screenly.
Creator of Screenly (Screenly.io), the leading digital signage solution for the Raspberry Pi.

paulalexpax

Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 pm

pHeoz wrote:
Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm
I have successfully set up remote control management of the Raspberries from a distant network thanks to your tips, vpetersson.

I've also created an interface to manage these raspberries and know which one is online / offline, but I'd like to add some more functionalities to my dashboard.
In order to do so, I'd like to read the content of the Screenly OSE management page (the one we see when going to 192.168.0.1:8080 for instance). Does anyone know where this page is located on the Raspberry ? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help
Could you please tell me how you got the remote management from a distant network. I have been checking to find some way to do it. Thanks

mkraley

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Is there any way to get back to a Terminal session in a system that is running Screenly? I can boot back into NOOBS, but the edit config files option is disabled. Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2 don't seem to do anything. Is there some other trick?

...Mike

vpetersson

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 pm

mkraley wrote:
Is there any way to get back to a Terminal session in a system that is running Screenly? I can boot back into NOOBS, but the edit config files option is disabled. Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2 don't seem to do anything. Is there some other trick?

...Mike
You should be able to use ctrl+alt+F3 or F1.

I don't recall by heart what we for X11, but I think it's F1, so every other should work.

mkraley

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 am

vpetersson wrote:
mkraley wrote:

...Mike

I don't recall by heart what we for X11, but I think it's F1, so every other should work.
I tried all the ctrl-alt-F<everything> no go.

If I reboot and get to the Screenly splash screen, then press ctrl-alt-F2, the screen then goes blank for several seconds, then the Screenly splash screen comes up.. It's like all the alternative consoles are redirected to the same thing.

If I wait until my content is displayed, I see no visible effect for any of the ctrl-alt-Fx keystrokes.

mkraley

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

How does Screenly handle caching of web page content? Although I have set no-cache headers on my web page, it appears as if Screenly only does a HEAD call each time it needs to display that asset, and does not fetch the content. Is this something I can control somehow?

A possibly related question is what happens if there is only one asset in the asset list? Will Screenly still attempt to redisplay the asset when the duration is up?

...Mike

mkraley

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

mkraley wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 am
vpetersson wrote:
mkraley wrote:

...Mike

I tried all the ctrl-alt-F<everything> no go.

If I reboot and get to the Screenly splash screen, then press ctrl-alt-F2, the screen then goes blank for several seconds, then the Screenly splash screen comes up.. It's like all the alternative consoles are redirected to the same thing.

If I wait until my content is displayed, I see no visible effect for any of the ctrl-alt-Fx keystrokes.
In case anyone else has this problem, I tried again with flashing the complete screenly image, and ctrl-alt-F1 now works fine. (Previously I had used the update method from the RPi itself.)

alstrud

Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Hello. I ran a search for my question and found the same one from 4 years ago, so I will post it again, in hopes that there has been a resolution...

I have an asset webpage that requires a login prior to displaying its content. When the page loads there is a username/password login box. A keyboard plugged into screenly does not allow any input for me to type in the credentials. Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you in advance.

vpetersson

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 am

alstrud wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm
Hello. I ran a search for my question and found the same one from 4 years ago, so I will post it again, in hopes that there has been a resolution...

I have an asset webpage that requires a login prior to displaying its content. When the page loads there is a username/password login box. A keyboard plugged into screenly does not allow any input for me to type in the credentials. Is there a way to make this work?

Thank you in advance.
If you plug in a keyboard, you should be able to use it. That said, the mouse is disabled. Try tabbing yourself to the desired field, which in theory should work.

chrimorg

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm

I cannot get the wireless settings to work correctly. During setup, WiFi works so I know that the Pi isn't bad. If I install from NOOBs or Jessie, then the first boot of Screenly OSE will have the WiFi working fine. However, a reboot will result in no connection. The /boot/network.ini file is there, using the config from the wizard. I see the wifi settings populated in /etc/network/interfaces, too. If I run iwconfig, though, it shows wlan0 as not associated. This persists on the current build, too. Any help?
Last edited by chrimorg on Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinobiX9X

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am

Hello,

I did an update yesterday. now today i can reach the screenly webpage, but it shows empty with an errormessage:
"The operation failed. Please reload the page and try again."

Has anyone else encountered this error, and is there a solution?

thank you.

terenceang

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm

Same here.. "The operation failed. Please reload the page and try again." after update.

vpetersson

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 am

terenceang wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:10 pm
Same here.. "The operation failed. Please reload the page and try again." after update.
Could you try the development version to see if the issue still remains?

madsrh

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm

How do I make sure that I'm on the latest release?

On the download page (https://github.com/screenly/screenly-ose/releases) I can download Screenly OSE, but the latest ISO release is v0.10 (Night Train - Sprint 2). Only small ZIP files are available for the later releases. How does the ZIP file work? Do I just overwrite the files from 0.12 on the 0.10 ISO, or can I install the ISO and then apt-get upgrade? :?:

vpetersson

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm

You can find the upgrade instructions here:
https://www.screenly.io/ose/

tl;dr: run

Code: Select all

bash <(curl -sL https://www.screenly.io/install-ose.sh)
madsrh wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 pm
How do I make sure that I'm on the latest release?

On the download page (https://github.com/screenly/screenly-ose/releases) I can download Screenly OSE, but the latest ISO release is v0.10 (Night Train - Sprint 2). Only small ZIP files are available for the later releases. How does the ZIP file work? Do I just overwrite the files from 0.12 on the 0.10 ISO, or can I install the ISO and then apt-get upgrade? :?:

YuppSirup

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi all,
hope I am not hijacking a thread here but can anyone help me with my problem? I am a total noob to Raspberry Pi. I bought a Pi Zero W and installed Screenly on it. Edited the init file to connet to my wifi. On startup it gets an ip address form dhcp server but the Pi zero w is not connected when I try to reach it in a browser..

How can I solve this... please help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hnojzaY-3k

vpetersson

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:32 pm

My best guess would be that it dropped the wifi connection. It appears as it was able to retrieve an IP from the DHCP server, so it was able to communicate with the router briefly at least.

I'd recommend that you power cycle it. If the same thing happens, try moving it closer to the router (the antenna is very small in the Pi). Also, try running "iwconfig" to see what it reports.
YuppSirup wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:33 pm
Hi all,
hope I am not hijacking a thread here but can anyone help me with my problem? I am a total noob to Raspberry Pi. I bought a Pi Zero W and installed Screenly on it. Edited the init file to connet to my wifi. On startup it gets an ip address form dhcp server but the Pi zero w is not connected when I try to reach it in a browser..

How can I solve this... please help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hnojzaY-3k

YuppSirup

Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Thanx for replying Petersson,
I have 2 questions:
1 what is power cycling? How do I do that? (off and on?... I did that already a few times... problem remains)
2 How do I use iwconfig? The Screenly image goes straight to the screenly application

YuppSirup

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am

If I place the RP Zero on top of the router the problem remains: not connected

What can cause this problem????

vpetersson

Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:44 am

Definitely something funky with the networking.

Regarding iwconfig, check the manpages: https://linux.die.net/man/8/iwconfig

Also, check system logs for clues.
YuppSirup wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 am
If I place the RP Zero on top of the router the problem remains: not connected

What can cause this problem????

vpetersson

Re: CGI MJPEG stream not loading

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 am

ckambiselis wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:08 pm
So I got Screenly installed a few days ago and have been playing around with it to make an info screen, I got most of the things I want working but the main thing I can't find a way and the original idea of my project is to get two IP cameras (D-Link DCS-5000L) shown, after searching around to find how to get only the video stream without any UI, the stream is an mjpeg.cgi link which works fine in Chrome, but when I add it as an asset and turn it on I only get a white screen the rest of the content shuffles just fine.

Also is there a way to make a URL loaded image to show fullscreen even if it's resolution is smaller?

Thanks
Oscar
Hi Oscar,

This one is a bit tricky. The tl;dr is that we added support for RTSP feeds in ticket #90 (https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/90). I'm not sure if this is supported by this particular camera. If it is, then we should be able to support it.

ckambiselis

Re: CGI MJPEG stream not loading

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:29 am

vpetersson wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 am

Hi Oscar,

This one is a bit tricky. The tl;dr is that we added support for RTSP feeds in ticket #90 (https://github.com/Screenly/screenly-ose/issues/90). I'm not sure if this is supported by this particular camera. If it is, then we should be able to support it.
In the beginning I was searching for an RTSP URL but couldn't find anything in the camera settings or on Google, the only thing I found working through the browser and VLC is http://camera_ip/video/mjpg.cgi , I was trying to find a way to read the CGI script, in case there was a different URL in it, but can't find a way yet.

Oscar

Return to “Other projects”