jehamann

Re: fallout 3 pipboy

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:47 am

awesome man, have you heard of the udoo? its alot better than the raspberry ppi, quad core 1ghz processor, full arduino capability, it runs the latest android software and linux. http://shop.udoo.org/usa/product/udoo-quad.html

selectnone

Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:08 am

I'd be concerned that that might be more power-hungry... plus it doesn't have the composite input that my screen uses

jehamann

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:21 am

well, I have never found myself to concerned about how I would power it until I would put everything into the pipboy. What I plan on doing is using a laptop battery but the thought of wires running out of the pipboy along my arm to connect to a battery pack, inst really fathomable for frequent use, I could use 2 of those battery packs you had on your pipboy 3000 set up or find abunch of phone batteries and hook them up in parallel, maybe even find some small enough phone batteries and put them in the glove that goes along with the pipboy.

jehamann

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 am

also I just found out there is going to be a fallout 4 in boston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! here's the link http://thesurvivor2299.com/

jehamann

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:08 pm

also, if you ever want to abandon the raspberry pi, and use a udoo or phone running raspberry pi, then you could use this pipboy theme for android, https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 3000&hl=en

selectnone

Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:14 pm

That's hardly game-accurate though, is it :)

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 pm

selectnone wrote:That's hardly game-accurate though, is it :)
It all depends on what apparel / ( Vault_jumpsuit number) you happen to have equipped !

...Though i think having an android might help Robobrains to homein , and or reduce your Image and Intelligence , if it's web enabled? .. =p

L1gerZer0Jager

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:51 am

i just bought my first r. pi, with hopes of implementing exactly this sort of thing eventually. i know i have a ways to go, but what you guys have so far looks amazing! i will be watching....

jomoto10

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Trying to create the folder pypboy/sounds/radio/gnr and says that permission is denied. bear with me, as I am a linux noob. I was using the file manager to create the folder. Do I need to do it in terminal?

selectnone

Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 am

Yeah, probably - it sounds like you'll have to use 'sudo' to make the folder with elevated permissions

fizzwizle

Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:14 am

Hey every time I try to download the files on bitbucket from my Pi it says "Permission denied (publickey). fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly". Any ideas how to work around or fix?

jehamann

Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:19 am

pipboy 3000 screen dimensions are (inside dremeld) 86mm x 58mm, this means the 3.5 inch TFT Display For Raspberry by neosec ( Pihttp://www.neosecsolutions.com//products.php?28&cPath=17) should fit perfectly since its demensions are 83mm X 55MM also it has no pcb board surrounding it and has an eaiser plug and play compared to the adafruit 2.8 screen. here is a link to a person who reviewed the screen http://www.averagemanvsraspberrypi.com/ ... y-for.html aslo the raspberry pi A+ should make the pipboy 3000 that much better!!!

HoCro

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 pm

First, thank you for sharing your code. I'm brand new to Rasp Pi, and I got involved because I've wanted to upgrade a foam crafted Pipboy to a functional one. I've got the 3D printed casing, but I need to determine what sort of program, display and sound source I want to use. In true Fallout fashion, I'd like to repurpose what I can from around the house. I have a Nuvi 350 NA, and it has a speaker and battery built in to support its needs (More here: http://www.cnet.com/products/garmin-nuvi-350/specs/). Do you think its possible to reprogram it to serve essentially as a display/sound system for a separate Rasp Pi running a modified version of this code? Thanks for your help -- this Noob appreciates it.

jehamann

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Anybody have any updates on the progress of a raspberry pi pipboy 3000?

Kn0man

Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:20 am

Well since I wasn't able to snatch up one of the FO4 Special edition ones I too have started building one of my own. I think I may have figured out the LED push buttons for below the viewscreen. I used the smallest button switches I had and wrapped the outside of the metal button plate with strips of electrical tape,(insulation so the leads on the LED won't short out) I spaced them on a paper prototyping board the closest I could to match the LED positions. I found some small plastic beads (about the size of a BB, mine came from a broken drawer slide) and pushed them up until they were centered between the LED leads and made contact with the bottom of the LED where I used superglue gel to glue them to the base of the LED (gluegun/hot glue would probably work too) then I placed them over the center of the buttons and fed the LED leads through the holes in the proto board just outside of the buttonswitch footprint. Now pushing down on a LED activates the switch to turn it on. Of course while there are examples for a simple press button-turn on LED circuit now comes the "fun" part on how to figure out to make the buttons mutually exclusive (i.e. pushing one LED should both light it up AND turn off any other LED previously lit !) :?
"The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote."-Kosh Naranek

jehamann

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:48 am

Im stuck at the touch screen phase :/ it turns out using a touch screen for the raspberry pi is a pain! maybe it will work better with windows 10? lol I could care less about the LED's... but from the sounds of it, you just need to mess with some programming stuff and the LED's. If I am imagining this correctly, the push button LED's should be a 3 - 4 pin button. If that's the case and you have the switch powered then you should be able to write a program to control the power going to the led based on if the button is pressed ie: ( If(Button1 is pressed) LED1 = "high" , Else, LED1 = "low" , end if) Ps. this is pseudo code. I have no problem helping you out more if you want to post pictures of were your at on the fourm or message me :)

jehamann

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:13 am

I forgot to include this in the last message. If you want turn of the previous led the code would look something like this.

Pressed = "HIGH" //Associating the value HIGH (5V) with the word Pressed (this can be any word you choose)
If(Button1 = "Pressed") Then //If statement
LED1 = "HIGH" //Turns on LED1/ supplies 5v
(else) // null else, does nothing. Some languages require different things with it
If(Button2 = "Pressed") Then
LED1 = "LOW"
LED2 = "HIGH"
(Else)
If(Button3 = "Pressed")Then
LED2 = "LOW" //Turning LED2 off (0v)
LED3 = "HIGH" //supplying LED3 with 5v
EndIf //each if statement must have an "endif" depending on the language
EndIf
EndIf
Ps, there is probably a simpler way to program it. If your more problems that you need help with you can always go to these two websites http://electronics.stackexchange.com/ (for electronicsc) or http://programmers.stackexchange.com/ (for programming)

Kn0man

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks for the reply jehamann, so far I'm working on the physical constraints and cosmetic appearances aspect of the project. I have some photos but can't seem to figure out how to resize them to make the forum like them! If I could find a board to load them to I could at least load a link! ;-) I was going to use a 4" LCD touchscreen but the ones I found seem to block most of GPIO pins !(WTF is the point of the "display" ribbon cable port if every vendor wants to block and take over your GPIO?!?!??? :? ) Instead I found a nice 4.3 Diagonal 12v 1000mA monitor for a car back-up viewer that fits the form factor almost perfectly!

Here's the link to my first posting (obviously in the wrong part of the forum since no one nibbled! ;-) ) :

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=118410&p=804089#p804089

Thanks,
Jeff
"The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote."-Kosh Naranek

jehamann

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:45 am

Right!!! I have know idea why they make custom display point, that screens never use! Are you talking about using a 4" screen for a fallout4 pipboy or a fallout 3 pipboy? If im assuming everything right, I think the waveshare touch screen would be easy to set up based on there description.

Kn0man

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:57 am

I'll probably just go with the 4.3 LCD / backup monitor. As per earlier post the touchscreen while nice blocks or takes over all the i/o pins. While it would look good and no doubt be much easier to just load plates/images it would no longer be functional. If that was all I was after why bother with the Pi at all, my Note3 has more functions and I could just pay a couple bucks for a Pipboy theme app.

jehamann

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:53 am

That's not good enough for me man :p I want a fully functioning pipboy.

Sade252

Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:31 pm

So, I'm new to pi, and I'm trying to use this app, but when I start the program, I get a black screen. I am using B+ if that helps

Kn0man

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:07 am

I'm confused what "app" are you trying to run? The Pi usually only runs code written in one of the linux versions, not standalone apps.

Vault Reject

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 pm

OK so on your link for the source code so I need to do download the repository or each individual file and then compile the code?

Return to “General programming discussion”