Des_Zac

Re: Most Recent Purchase Thread

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 am

I've seen one on every other forum I'm on, so why not?

For me it's my iPhone 4 and Steve Jobs Bio!

Taken on my iPhone ;)

So, what about you?

johnbeetem

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:34 am

I wonder how many Steve Jobs fans are going to emulate their idol by soaking their feet in the toilet, as Maureen Dowd reported in her recent New York TImes column.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10.....38;emc=rss

kme

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:36 am

Hell freezes over and I join Scientology before I get an Apple product.

My most recent purchases are carefully selected spare parts for my hand build PCs.

emercer

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:53 am

Quote from kme on November 1, 2011, 01:36

Actually, I've had a couple Apple products, an Apple II and quite recently a 1st generation Bondi-Blue iMac. That said, Hell freezes over and I join Scientology before I get another Apple product.

Des_Zac

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:09 am

THE THREAD ISN'T ABOUT STEVE, it's for people to post their most recent purchase :/

kattle87

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:55 am

Food I guess?? :P
An arduino UNO that will become a wonderful input device for my raspi-based wearable PC.

abishur

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:41 am

I'm going to assume this is specifically last technology oriented purchase... I believe the last tech purchase I did was a solid state relay. I used it to automatically turn on an external hard drive which houses my games every time I turn on my Wii :D That was a long time ago (6 or so months) I have to keep a fairly tight reign on my tech budget so I don't end up in the poor house! My next purchase is either going to be PCB and a PCB etching solution, a kindle, or an r-pi!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

johnbeetem

Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:05 am

Ooh, if you're thinking of a Kindling Fire, wait until the next Colo(u)r Nook comes out. Rumor is that it's being announced Nov 7. Nook Colo(u)r has removable microSD so you can install a different operating system. With luck, B&N is smart enough to continue this practice.

My latest technology-related purchase was an Amtrak (USA passenger rail) ticket to go to the ARM TechCon and see a RaspPi alpha first-hand and chat with Eben. I also got a free STM32F4-Discovery board. The thing I really like about the STM Discovery boards is that you can easily disable their ST-Link, hook up your own JTAG, and not have to use anyone else's software (well, except for the FTDI USB driver). I don't know if you can do this anywhere as easily with an NXP Mbed or LPXpresso The STM32F407VG on the board is Cortex-M4 with (if I'm reading the product spec correctly) 1MB Flash, 192K RAM, Enet MAC, two USBs, ADCs, DACs, and a slew of serial interfaces.

abishur

Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 am

Nope no fire for me, I just want a simple kindle touch (I'm more about books and battery life than ultra colored magazines on a e-reader) ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

obarthelemy

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:32 am

Not counting hard disks (why don't people ever do backups ? I feel like the sower that used to be on French Franc coins, raining backup harddisks on people who have 15 years of photos, and no backups), a 7" Nook Color tablet, because the 10" HP Touchpad was too big and too heavy.
I'm more excited about my *next* purchase though, normally a Galaxy Note (my gift to myself for my own birthday). Since the thing is a huge smartphone (5.3"), I made a wood mockup this sunday to make sure it does fit in my pockets. It does, barely, even in my shirt pocket, though it stick out.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 am

Most recent purchase was an Arduino Uno board - at £22 it's at a similar price point to a Model B. The purchase was prompted by the Arduino articles in "Linux Format" ( http://www.linuxformat.com/ ). I'm having fun playing with it, trying out snippets of C to switch pins on/off and read pots, etc. It works really well with those old Tandy "Science Fair" electronic kits; they pop up occasionally in charity shops for a couple of quid and provide a good range mounted of passive and active components with spring terminals that are readily wired into the Arduino.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Montekuri

Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 am

My most recent purchase was a mini multimedia projetor.
I can project videos and photos on a wall direct from a pendrive, without the aid of a laptop or DVD player.
It is very good for business presentations, or a small home theater.

davy1010

Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 am

A Hannspree Hannspad SN10T1 10 inch tablet pc. It cost me 190 euro. Thats really cheap considering it is a Tegra 2 device.

It comes with android 2.2 but there is a dev communtiy that has ported CM7, Vegantab and Honeycomb to it. I'm still waiting for a HW accelerated honeycomb version before I switch to Honeycomb.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 pm

I've just nicked a Nokia 701 phone (well, borrowed it really) from marketing desk, to 'evaluate'.

It uses a Videocore IV and I worked on the camera amongst other bits, so it must be good!

Actually, it is surprisingly good! One does wonder why Nokia have gone all Windows when they have Symbian phones this good.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:16 pm

2GB of RAM for my desktop gaming PC. (Playing The Witcher 2 was like mousing through treacle, and I'd had to abandon Starcraft 2 altogether.) I've preordered Skyrim to celebrate.

TBH, I really need to replace the desktop machine altogether. It's basically a silicon version of George Washington's Axe at this point.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Apart from the odds and sods like sd cards, thumb drives, printer paper I don't actually buy that much (pretty hard to spend money when you are always broke. one of the side effects of having a kid in university where you have too much money for him to get help to pay for it and too little to actually be able to afford it) so 99.9999% of my computer equipment and gadgets are hand me downs and garbage day finds. The last computer I actually paid for was in 2008, prior to that it was in 1986 when I bought an Olivetti M15 (I loved olivetti computers) and a Tandy M100. but my most recent purchase was a kickstarter pledge for the Cyber Cortex AV FPGA board http://www.kickstarter.com/pro.....ncortex-av

Hopefully it'll be here soon as it's been delayed several times but apparently it was put in the mail yesterday.

Ampix0

Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Quote from kme on November 1, 2011, 01:36

My most recent purchases are carefully selected spare parts for my hand build PCs.
Exactly this. If this forum had reputation I would give you all of mine.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 pm

A new SD card. It's rather handy to have a good selection ready to go for Raspberry Pi development (also means there's less work when someone drops in wanting a quick demo). In addition, rather more DRM-free games (from GOG.com or deals like Humble Bundle) than I have time to play.

WizardOfOZ

Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Just paid for some electronics parts for an upcoming project. Included among other items were:

2x AD603AQ
2x AD8703
5x 2N5179
2x 10.7MHz crystal filters, 30KHz wide @ -3dB.

Now, anyone got a spare POS-200 (with or without ´+´ ) they wish to part with? :)

matt_heys

Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:50 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on November 1, 2011, 08:32
Not counting hard disks (why don't people ever do backups ? I feel like the sower that used to be on French Franc coins, raining backup harddisks on people who have 15 years of photos, and no backups)

I keep my data on my Drobo and I backup my pc to my Drobo, then I backup my Drobo to another JBOD which I don't care about breaking the raid and rebuilding.

I might use a R-Pi as an Rsync server so I can move my JBOD offsite (and by site I mean house).

EDIT
Oops, also last purchase was an NVidia 550 as my 9600 blew up and the PC wouldn't boot any more.

bnolsen

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:06 am

Last tech puchase was a nook color, i think in january (for wife).
Last online purchase was a pumpkin gutter drill attachment.

Des_Zac

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Cool purchases everyone, this thread is going great!

vladhed

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Partly a purchase and partly a hack.

I bought a HP-20b "business consultant" calculator and re-flashed it with the community developed scientific-programmable WP-34s firmware:

duncan_pereira

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 pm

I got a rather nice Logitech K360 Wireless Keyboard with a nice gold decal and a unifying receiver which latched onto my Logitech Mouse nicely. Well worth the £25 :D

Return to “Off topic discussion”