satimis

Seeking advice on purchasing an external SSD

Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 am

Hi,

This is my first time using external SSD drive.

I'm going to purchase a ADATA SD700 256GB USB3.1 Gen 1 External SSD ASD700-256GU3-CBK

http://www.adata.com/en/feature/441

to be used on Raspberry Pi3 Model which only provides USD ports. Is an external SSD only providing one USB connector which is for both power and Data connection?

Can it used on Raspberry Pi3 Model B?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
satimis

cjan

Re: Seeking advice on purchasing an external SSD

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 am

had a used 60G STAT2 SSD US$10 for Pi2, and very happy with it.
best choice is old used devices and cheaper, cause usb2 bus on Pis.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:03 am

I've been using "inernal" 60GB SSDs. Get one with a SATA connector and then a USB to SATA cable. A Pi can provide enough power on the USB ports to drive an SSD directly. You're still not going to see much in the way of I/O performance (being limited by the USB 2 interface), but you will have no moving parts...

NotRequired

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 am

There is no problem using the ADATA drive with the Pi3B, the USB3 interface is backwards compatible with USB2 - but you will not be able to get full performance from the drive when used with the Pi. If you are building your Pi into an enclosure (or hide it away), you should consider to use an ordinary, internal SSD and a decent SATA to USB adapter. Doing this enables you to use the SSD with a (E-)SATA interface when moving lots of stuff from/to the SSD.
Please do not ask questions in private messages, they will not help others.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:54 am

satimis wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:14 am
Hi,

This is my first time using external SSD drive.

I'm going to purchase a ADATA SD700 256GB USB3.1 Gen 1 External SSD ASD700-256GU3-CBK

http://www.adata.com/en/feature/441

to be used on Raspberry Pi3 Model which only provides USD ports. Is an external SSD only providing one USB connector which is for both power and Data connection?

Can it used on Raspberry Pi3 Model B?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
satimis

http://wdlabs.wd.com/category/wd-pidrive/
Retired disgracefully.....

satimis

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your advice.

I use a Samsung power supply for my mobile phone S6, output 5V 2A, to run Raspberry Pi3 B. It works without problem.

This is only a test on Raspberry without practical use. I have powerful desktops at home, AMD 8-core PCs with 32G/64G RAM installed.

I have old internal HDs such as 1T/1.2T WD, black label, and ADATA 120G SSD here which are installed on PCs for old data storage.

I have made some search on Internet. To connect an internal HD to Raspberry Pi I need to convert it to external first which I need to buy a kit as shown on following video;

How to convert an internal hard drive to external (easiest way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp_bsAdzCrk

But to connect an External HD to Raspberry Pi I don't need the abovementioned kit as shown in following video

Raspberry Pi 2 External Hard Drive Installation: Part 3 - a Step-by-Step Guide!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRaesLtPY4A

Rather than to buy the kit for one time use I'm willing to pay more to buy an external SSD HD which I can use in my internal network later for storage. That is the complete story.

Suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Regards
satimis

holgerble

Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 pm

May be helpfull > look here (sorry, only german)

http://www.forum-raspberrypi.de/Thread- ... er-pi2-pi3

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm

satimis wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:09 pm
I have made some search on Internet. To connect an internal HD to Raspberry Pi I need to convert it to external first which I need to buy a kit as shown on following video;
HDD has a different set of issues than an SSD. For one (major) thing, it has to spin up the platters and the power requirements for that can exceed what the Pi can provide. Then, if it is a 3.5" form factor, it will need 12v power as well as 5v, and the Pi can't directly supply that. The WD PiDrives have been engineered to minimize surge current requirements and as 2.5" (i.e. "laptop") drives, they only need 5v. As a result, you can connect a 314GB PiDrive directly to a Pi2B or Pi3B so long as you have a good PSU. For an HDD that *isn't* specifically modified for use with a Pi, you need an additional power supply for the drive, hence setting it up as an "external" drive...that is, adding its own power and a USB adapter.

However, 2.5" SATA SSDs....no problem. Run on 5v and need very little current to operate. I think the ones I'm using have a max requirement of around 300mA when actually doing something and more like 10mA when idle. That's well within what a Pi2B or Pi3B can supply and still handle other USB peripherals.

satimis

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:14 pm
- snip -
However, 2.5" SATA SSDs....no problem. Run on 5v and need very little current to operate. I think the ones I'm using have a max requirement of around 300mA when actually doing something and more like 10mA when idle. That's well within what a Pi2B or Pi3B can supply and still handle other USB peripherals.
Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

My original thought was to purchase an external SSD, preference: ADATA SD700 256GB USB3.1 Gen 1 External SSD ASD700-256GU3-CBK

Specification
http://www.adata.com/us/specification/441

It requires:
Op. Voltage: DC 5V, 900mA
USB 3.1 Gen 1 cable for connection

My most concern is after this test, it can be used to connect to my Desktop PCs for Data storage purpose, i.e. connecting it directly to any USB port without additional power supply?

I suppose "ADATA SD700" being suitable for this test to connect to Raspberry Pi3 Model B without additional power supply?

Comment will be appreciated. Thanks

Regards.
satimis

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 am

satimis wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 am
My most concern is after this test, it can be used to connect to my Desktop PCs for Data storage purpose, i.e. connecting it directly to any USB port without additional power supply?
I believe that is just within spec for USB 3. The biggest problem with with moving a mass storage device between a (Windows?) PC and a Pi is having a file system on it that both can use. That pretty much limits you to some form of FAT. (I have this vague recollection that MS locked down the IP on NTFS tightly enough to prevent use with Linux, and Windows suffers mightily from "NIH syndrome" when it comes the EXTn filesystems.)
I suppose "ADATA SD700" being suitable for this test to connect to Raspberry Pi3 Model B without additional power supply?
At 900mA, a Pi3B *should* be able to cope, but make sure you've got a full 2.4A to 2.5A PSU. You're going to be (in theory) pulling 3/4 of all available current from the USB bus.

Heater

Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 am

LInux can read and write NTFS partitions just fine. A disk formatted as NTFS can be moved from Linux to Windows.

Conversely if you install Paragon's Extfs https://www.paragon-software.com/home/e ... ndows-pro/ on your Windows machine you can move ext formatted disks from Linux to Windows.

Parafon Extfs is about 20 dollars if you want it to work forever, else the free trial slows down after one month.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

satimis

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for your further advice.

I don't have desktop PC running MS Windows. All of them are running on VMs (guests) of VirtualBox. All data are retained on the Hosts which are running Linux.

However previously I have encountered a problem of formatting SD card on ext4 which has been posted on another posting of this forum. I do hope that such a problem won't occur on formatting ADATA external SSD - SD700 256GB.

Regarding Power Supply which is not a major problem to me. In the worst case if my Samsung S6 power supply can't provide sufficient current to Raspberrry Pi and ADATA external SSD I would buy an official Raspberry Pi power supply.

From the picture of ADATA SD700, the external SSD, it seems to me that there is ONLY ONE USB port handling both input/output including power. If I'm wrong please advise me.

Thanks

Regards
satimis

Imperf3kt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm

One port is all it needs.
USB has four connections inside it.
Two are power (the outside ones), two are data.
Having a second / separate usb port for power is pointless.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

satimis

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm
One port is all it needs.
USB has four connections inside it.
Two are power (the outside ones), two are data.
Having a second / separate usb port for power is pointless.
Hi,

It is now clear to me. Thanks

satimis

Imperf3kt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Do note that I was specifically referring to SSDs
If you have say a HDD or SSHDD instead, then I would recommend staying away from the ones powered by USB altogether and make sure it had a separate 1.5A, 12v power supply.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

satimis

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm
Do note that I was specifically referring to SSDs
If you have say a HDD or SSHDD instead, then I would recommend staying away from the ones powered by USB altogether and make sure it had a separate 1.5A, 12v power supply.
Hi,

I'm sticking on "ADATA SD700 256GB USB3.1 Gen 1 External SSD ASD700-256GU3-CBK", the external SSD NOT HDD nor internal SSD.

Thanks

Regards
satimis

Return to “General discussion”