Fire

Re: Instructions for building XBMC for Raspbian

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for your work!

Did you do a "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" before? or will that break any functionality?

Iggy82

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:28 am

Fire wrote: Did you do a "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" before? or will that break any functionality?
Did apt-get update as part of build, yes. Haven't done apt-get dist-upgrade though. I don't think it will break it if you do it yourself!

Fire

Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:29 am

btw to everybody using this image: if you dont get yout network to work, try the DHCP fix from here http://www.raspbian.org/PiscesImages at the bottom of the page :)

now i'm trying to update so kernel 3.2.x ... hopefully this will work.

Fire

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:09 am

it's me again ... i updated to Kernel 3.2.0 fromt the repo, unfortunately, the x server is'nt starting anymore ... startx not working, i get an black screen with nothing on it :(

does anybody know how i can get it working? ir maybe stay with the old Kernel but include an SPI Patch?

Iggy82

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:46 pm

Well done, I wasn't even aware you could host files on Google Drive/Docs!

masterluke

Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Posting from Midori in your image Iggy - Thanks very much.

I got XBMC running.. Interestingly I have had to ease off on the overclocking down to 800mhz to get XBMC to come up properly - Openelec seemed ok all the way to 950mhz. It IS however very nippy indeed and very useable.

One very annoying aspect of openelec is the calibration doesnt work properly so I had to live with cut off the sides of the screen in menu's. This seems to work fine on this build and the calibration settings seem to hold between app restarts and reboots.

Unfortunately there is a showstopping problem for me - Using composite out on a PAL SDTV. The X session is visible in the black bars above and below the video. On 16:9 videos I can see the LXDE launchbar below the video and the LXTerminal titlebar above. In menu's its fine. Anyone else seen this?

Also - is it possible to use a shortcut to start XBMC somehow. The command that is typed into LXTerminal doesnt work in the "Run" box for some reason.

Thanks so much for help so far. It looks so promising.

mpthompson

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:12 pm

masterluke wrote:Unfortunately there is a showstopping problem for me - Using composite out on a PAL SDTV. The X session is visible in the black bars above and below the video. On 16:9 videos I can see the LXDE launchbar below the video and the LXTerminal titlebar above. In menu's its fine. Anyone else seen this?
Try running XBMC outside of X windows and LXDE. At first, I made the mistake of running XBMC within X windows and ran into conflicts similar to what you describe. However, XBMC runs much better and without interference from just the regular command line. No need for X windows or LXDE. Of course, I'm assuming that you are using a build of XBMC that follows the instructions on the wiki.

masterluke

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Of course! Working fine now. I was wondering what what the "clear ;" was for. I need to learn to read :D

ejsolutions

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 am

masterluke wrote:... I was wondering what what the "clear ;" was for...
So did I, until I clicked it was shortform for "tput clear" :D

mpthompson

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:03 am

masterluke wrote:Of course! Working fine now. I was wondering what what the "clear ;" was for. I need to learn to read :D
Sorry about that. The 'clear' is just to clear the screen of text cruft as XBMC seems to let it leak around the edges if you have a 4x3 aspect ratio screen.

masterluke

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:55 am

Watched a 1080p 5.1 DTS mkv streamed over upnp without any isssues. 5.1 downmixed to stereo by the cpu without a hiccup too which openelec can struggle with.

Anyone else getting tormented by a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen? :D Sometimes there when watching video and sometimes not. No crashes yet.

bob_binz

Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Anyone know what this little lot means when I try to run xbmc?

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
  warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
Error: unable to open display 
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:69: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
  window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: GtkWarning: IA__gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:83: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
  button = gtk.Button("Quit")
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_pango_context_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_font_description: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_base_dir: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_context_set_language: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_new: assertion `context != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_text: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_alignment: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_ellipsize: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_single_paragraph_mode: assertion `PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_width: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_get_extents: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: PangoWarning: pango_layout_set_attributes: assertion `layout != NULL' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width 578767 and height -1071501
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width 578757 and height -1072365
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
  window.show_all ()
/usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py:88: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
  window.show_all ()
Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault
Aborted
Unfortunately, I used hexxeh-r3 as the Raspbian base, which needed more bits adding to the setup than that listed in the how-to. Finally got a build, but am getting the above when I try to run it from the command line. Tried installing libgtk2.0 and gtk2.0 (thinking there were missing gtk bits) but all I'm doing is filling my SD card.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Paul Webster

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 pm

masterluke wrote:Anyone else getting tormented by a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen? :D Sometimes there when watching video and sometimes not. No crashes yet.
You could try a
tput civis
before launching XBMC
and
tput cnorm
To restore the cursor after XBMC exits

masterluke

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:11 pm

aargh. I just did a...

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

..and now XBMC wont start. I get this from within X

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting

From the command line without X I get an error saying xcb_connect failed, then the same "Unable to create GUI" error.

Raizer

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm

hi all,
i'm having the same problem, but i use the img builded by Iggy.
Launching via ssh i have this error.

[email protected]:~# sudo /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
libEGL warning: DRI2: xcb_connect failed
libEGL warning: GLX: XOpenDisplay failed

Raizer

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 pm

hi all,
i have the same problem, but i use the Img made by Iggy
I didn't update the system.

[email protected]:~# sudo /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

mpthompson

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:38 pm

masterluke wrote:aargh. I just did a...

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

..and now XBMC wont start. I get this from within X

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

From the command line without X I get an error saying xcb_connect failed, then the same "Unable to create GUI" error.
Check the symbolic links concerning the libEGL.so and libGLESv2.so libraries created in step 6 of the build instructions (probably just remaking them would be the easiest). I suspect that an updated package stomped on the symbolic links as they are needed not just for the build, but to run XBMC as well.

masterluke

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 am

I already tried recreating the links with no success. I'm on Iggys image too.

Iggy have you tried a dist-upgrade or come across this?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:44 am

@mpthompson

Can I suggest you remove
libegl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev

from the install list?

These are the software versions of EGL and GLES libraries and header files, and conflict with the wanted /opt/vc/lib and /opt/vc/include ones. If they are ever referenced by XBMC it won't work.

I also found installing them broke the hello_triangle example code (can be fixed by changing the order of the directories in /etc/ld.so.conf.d, but better not to install a conflicting library).

The good news is that I've just built xbcm on the new raspbian/spindle/wheezy image and it seems to work (I'll test properly later).

ejsolutions

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Ignoring install-info called from maintainer script
The package gperf should be rebuilt with new debhelper to get trigger support
Is this anything to be too concerned about?

xeo5

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I was also getting the same EGL error. I fixed it by doing what mpthompson said and recreating the symbolic links. I'm a total linux newb and unsure if I did this right but I added the following code to /etc/rc.local

sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL.so.1
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libEGL_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libEGL_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2.so.2
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libGLESv2_static.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libGLESv2_static.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libbcm_host.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvchiq_arm.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvchiq_arm.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.a /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.a
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/libvcos.so
sudo ln -fs /opt/vc/lib/libvcos.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libvcos.so
I've done 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'rpi-update' as well as install lirc. All of which would break my install before this fix but now, after adding the above, XBMC loads like it should.

Nexy

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 am

I'm unable to write the card image from Iggy82 because

Not enough space on disk: Size 7774208 sectors Available: 7741440 sectors Sector size: 512
That's my 4GB MicroSDHC Kingston Class4 (Taiwan C04G) with Win32 Disk Imager. Is there a way to fix this from a Win7Ux64 environment?

Or can someone give me a rough pointer to fix it from a different image on the RasPi running one of the smaller Raspbian images and the file on a USB drive? I was thinking of:

mkdir -p /mnt/rpximage
mount -o loop /mnt/usbdrive/disk.img /mnt/rpximage

Then use GParted or whatever to resize. Would that work?

ejsolutions

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:35 am

I've started a Github account, ready to upload a pisces_r3_xbmc, that was just created today.
Even though I wrote out a zeroed file and removed it, I'm struggling to get the image file size down to manageable levels. I must be missing something, as even with xz compression it's still very large (543Mb). :(

john.mills

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:12 am

Hi ejsolutions,

It might be worth speaking to Mike, perhaps he will be able to host the image for you on the Raspbian repository? I am not entirely sure if there is a user contributed section yet but I know it was in the plans. It is very useful to have a pre configured image available.

Regards,

John

Return to “Raspbian”