gabriel.rosseel

ssmtp

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:11 am

A while ago I installed ssmtp in order to send mail.
everything worked fine till now with the following error:
"Process exited with a non-zero status"
I didn't change the ssmtp.conf file nor anything else.
Can anyone explain what happened and what I can do to make it work again?
thank you, gabriël

pcmanbob

Re: ssmtp

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 am

Hi.

So I assume you are using a gmail account.

One of the things that can cause this is the password being wrong so I would use a pc to log in to the account and just check the password is still valid and that allow access by less secure apps is switch on.

Another cause can be moving your pi to a different LAN it might have tripped up the gmail security and it will see your pi as a new device at a new location and so see it as a hacking attempt and so block you dpi from accessing the account, if this has occurred you should see an email from google to that affect when you log in the account from a pc.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

gabriel.rosseel

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 am

no, I don't use a gmail account but an outlook.com account and all worked just fine.
(the outlook mail account is still valid: checked)
The only thing that is changed: I installed Webmin.
Can that have antthing to do with the error? I don't see haw, but one never can tell.
I take the liberty to add de /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf file:

root=<name>@outlook.com
mailhub=smtp-mail.outlook.com:587
rewriteDomain=outlook.com
hostname=huttesrv000
UseTLS=Yes
UseSTARTTLS=Yes
AuthUser=<name>@outlook.com
AuthPass=<password>
AuthMethod=LOGIN
FromLineOverride=YES

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 pm

As I have never used outlook.com I cant comment on the settings but if they worked before and nothing has change with the account then it should still work.

If the only change you have made is to install webmin then may be that has caused a problem, but I cant really see how as its only a web based control panel, have you looked at all the various options and pages in webmin to see if its now controlling you ssmtp set-up.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

gabriel.rosseel

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm

I didn't find any settings for ssmtp in Webmin.
I'm afraid I am at a dead end here.
Many thanks for your answers, gabriël

pcmanbob

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 pm

possible option to get more information about why its failing.

did you by any chance install mpack when you set up ssmtp and mailutils ?

if you did it might give you a better report on why you email is not being sent.

first create 2 files in /home/pi
1 called message.txt and the other called dummy.txt they only need a few characters in the some thing as simple as test123 will do.

now from the command line try this

Code: Select all

mpack -s "Test mail with dummy file attached" -d /home/pi/message.txt /home/pi/dummy.txt [email protected]
replace the last bit with your actual receiving email address.

if it fails to send you should get a report back like this

Code: Select all

sendmail: Authorization failed (535 5.7.8  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials 125sm1890152wmk.6 - gsmtp)
in this example I changed the password in the config file so the mail would not send.

gabriel.rosseel

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:03 pm

no, I didn't install mpack because my sole purpose was to sent some simple emails.
but I'll give it a try and keep you posted of the results.
much appreciated for your efforts, gabriël

gabriel.rosseel

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:20 pm

I installed mpack as suggested and when execting I received following error:

sendmail: 550 5.3.4 554 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Submission.Exception:SendAsDeniedException.MapiExceptionSendAsDenied; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot submit message. 16.55847:42030000, 17.43559:00000000A0000000000000000000000000000000, 20.521

But to be honest, I'm none the wiser: I don't understand what the error message means except perhaps the word: Denied
Could you perhaps shed some light on this?

gabriel.rosseel

Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't know why but I get a growing feeling that the receiver side (Outlook of Microsoft) plays up.

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 am

So I googled you error message it seems a common error and most of the help from Microsoft just points you to there help line, typical just want money from you.

one thing I did find though was that if you are trying to spoof the mail address the mail was sent for it can cause this error, and i noticed you had the line
"FromLineOverride=YES" try changing this to NO and see if that helps.

gabriel.rosseel

Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:31 pm

I changed the line "FromLineOverride=YES" to "FromLineOverride=NO" but to no avail.
My opinion is that MS pumped up their security since it suddenly stopped working (a forthnight ago it worked just fine).
Maybe they will change it in the future again or sSMTP will be updated so it can work again (I'll give it a try now and then).
I can't thank you enough for all your answers and the time and effort you put in.
much obliged, gabriël

pcmanbob

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:00 pm

The problem is any thing to do with Microsoft any help suggestion always leads back to them and they only support access with Microsoft products.
If you still want to be able to send mail from your pi a Gmail account is free to set up and you only need to enable less secure app access and it will work just fine..

gabriel.rosseel

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:09 pm

thanks fot the tip.
I might just do that.

hippy

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:18 pm

gabriel.rosseel wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:39 am
mailhub=smtp-mail.outlook.com:587
This thread was referenced with respect to a similar 'cannot send to smtp-mail.outlook.com' issue. The solution there was to switch from 'smtp-mail.outlook.com:587' to 'smtp.office365.com:587'. Might be worth trying.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=192664

gabriel.rosseel

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:29 pm

thanks for that answer but I already tried it: mailhub=smtp-mail.outlook.com:587
In the meanwhile I quit ssmtp and installed Postfix and thtah works just fine as an outgoing mail server.
appreciated all help, gabriël

Return to “Beginners”