PESHuk

Rasp Pi 3 Live TV

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi All,

I currently have a TV in my office/games room which for the most part is used for gaming. My partner now wants to be able to use the TV to watch live TV on, but we do not have a TV set top box (no space for one either) or arial sockets in the room to be able to receive the channels the normal way. Is there anyway of doing this with a Raspberry Pi and if so wheres the best place to start? :?:

Thanks in advance :D

Grant

mattmiller

Re: Rasp Pi 3 Live TV

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:03 pm

You can use a Pi but something like a NOW TV box would be much easier to set up and use

PESHuk

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Thanks, but NOW TV does not have live TV does it? I am wanting to stream Live TV to my TV as I do not have space for a set top or any Arial sockets in the room.

DarrenHill

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:38 pm

You could use something like an HDHomeRun box in another room to take a TV signal via its tuner and make it available over your network.

It works best using Ethernet, but at a push it should also work over wifi, at least for a SD channel. Then use something like Kodi as your display front-end. I do that at home (via a second Pi (a Pi2) running TVHeadEnd to get recording as well) and it works fine to a Ethernet-cabled Pi3

ecotec

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:42 pm

I do something similar to what you are looking to achieve,

my set-up
pi2 running raspbian
HAUPPAUGE Xbox One USB tuner
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Electronics- ... 01LVTNQ4K/
it's exactly the same as Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD Single but I found the xbox one much cheaper - I checked with the manafacturer - exactly the same.

I use TVheadend to stream TV around the house and record live tv - reasonably simple to setup. The streams can just be opened in VLC (mobile, tablet, pc with the IP of the pi, then pick the channel from the playlist.

So you would then just need something TV side to receive the signal - pi would work.

Other option that would be worth looking at is the siliconedust HD tuner - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SiliconDust-HD ... B00Y2JYZOC

hope that helps,
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

mattmiller

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:09 pm

OP doesn't have aerial socket so might not get a good signal from a tuner with indoor antenna

mattmiller

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm

but NOW TV does not have live TV does it?
I thought it did - but depends on what you mean by "live" of course
OW TV does not have live TV does it?
It has a few live tv channels and I thought you could watch bbc/itv live thru their apps but it seems not on checking - sorry :(

I think any Pi solutions involving getting live tv progs over T'internet would prob be illegal (at least in UK) so can't be discussed here

ecotec

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:09 pm
OP doesn't have aerial socket so might not get a good signal from a tuner with indoor antenna
Sorry my post perhaps should have been clearer.

I use a pi near a TV socket as a server - then clients just need to connect to the local network to access the IP TV streams
b+ running volumio

davidcoton

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm

mattmiller wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:19 pm
I think any Pi solutions involving getting live tv progs over T'internet would prob be illegal (at least in UK) so can't be discussed here
In the UK, you can watch BBC channels live on the internet (iPlayer) if you register and have a TV license.
AIUI, the BBC choose not to make their live content available on the web outside the UK.
Haven't checked other UK providers, I think most are available online but maybe also only in the UK.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

PESHuk

Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:39 pm

@ecotec Could you post your setup of your Pi server? eg how you achieved this?

ecotec

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:35 pm

PESHuk wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:39 pm
@ecotec Could you post your setup of your Pi server? eg how you achieved this?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes of course.

Server -
pi2 - upstairs by freeview socket
TV USB tuner - as mentioned above
HDD external HDD (for recordings)
Running - Raspbian and TVHeadend

Clients -
Phones, laptops, desktop, tablets - all just open VLC, open network stream and type
http://192.168.1.104:9981/playlist/channels/
Replace the local address with your pi's one (a static IP is also a good idea)
(view playlist to change channel)

I haven't done it but I reckon you could have a pi2/3 by your TV running Kodi and access the local network stream.

to install TVheadend:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61 
echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/mpmc/deb raspbianjessie stable-4.2" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tvheadend
There is a bit of setup -eg pick the local transmitter so etc, it's all reasonably straightforward to do

To install the firmware to make the specific above mentioned USB TV adaptor work

Code: Select all

$ wget http://palosaari.fi/linux/v4l-dvb/firmware/Si2168/dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw -O /lib/firmware/dvb-demod-si2168-02.fw
Thats it really,
TVheadend also does recording which I use and record to the HDD, there's not much to it. The TV adapter quality is very good but does get a little warm but so far no issues.
b+ running volumio

eyebrow

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 pm

the only difference I can see to the above post is that you may need to run:

sudo apt-get install dirmngr

Otherwise, you MAY get errors.

This guide seems to work for RPi 3 B+ on Stretch Lite.

https://www.dirtyoptics.com/raspberry-p ... tvheadend/

Return to “General discussion”