Martin Frezman

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Carl,
As I metioned, until this "banning bug" is fixed, you should always do ^A^C (select ALL, Copy to Clipboard) just before clicking Submit.

Then if it crashes, you can try again, with your text from the clipboard.

P.S. I think the critical thing to remember is: When you re-login (After being booted out), make sure you click the "Remember me" click. If you don't, then it will just throw you out again.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

beta-tester

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:58 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:21 pm
beta-tester wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm
is there a possibility to make the background of the edit field less dark while typing of the RPI theme?
You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more fixes, web team are having dinner! Pah, eating. Wimps.
thank you for the changed background color while creating/editing a post.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 pm
As I metioned, until this "banning bug" is fixed, you should always do ^A^C (select ALL, Copy to Clipboard) just before clicking Submit.
Yep, though in my case it's Cmd-A, Cmd-C. I usually only do that on untrustworthy forums (i.e. ones where I've had problems losing text) - this forum has never fallen into that crowd before (and I'd normally hit the browser's back button to go back and grab my text if an error appeared - I don't think I got an error or ban page in this case, although it's possible I overlooked it). In any case, they should have the banning bug sorted soon.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Just a note on banning. We have the ability to ban by username and/or IP address. Banning an IP address is useful for spammers who send a lot of spam with different usernames from the same IP address, generally a pawned box somewhere.

If you been a naughty boy or girl, then we generally ban by username. If you create a new username and continue to be a naughty boy or girl, we would IP ban as well, although that is not perfect either.

The message that appears telling you you have been banned is important. Just saying "Not now Josephine" or similar doesn't get across the point.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm
Yep, though in my case it's Cmd-A, Cmd-C. I usually only do that on untrustworthy forums (i.e. ones where I've had problems losing text) - this forum has never fallen into that crowd before (and I'd normally hit the browser's back button to go back and grab my text if an error appeared - I don't think I got an error or ban page in this case, although it's possible I overlooked it). In any case, they should have the banning bug sorted soon.
Yeah, it seems it may already be fixed. The last few posts I've made have just gone through w/o any hiccups. But I'm still being careful (saving to clipboard before posting).

BTW, I also am on a Mac, so it is Cmd as well. But you can think of the ^ as being shorthand for "whatever it is on your particular keyboard/platform".

BTW2, I'm not as sanguine as you seem to be about this board (the RPI board) not being problematic. I've had the problem in the past - where it would log you out for no reason and similar - and had developed the clipboard hack as a defense back then.

In fact, it has happened more than a few times in the history of this board.

epoch1970

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:31 pm

This new theme looks much better than before, however I was logged out when posting an answer (probably an error on my part) and decided to switch back to prosilver again and compare.
Prosilver is much more readable, a matter of contrast maybe? It doesn't look great, but for now I have to say I still prefer it.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:54 pm

jamesh wrote:
The message that appears telling you you have been banned is important. Just saying "Not now Josephine" or similar doesn't get across the point.
The message is important, if it is truthful. If someone in the office temporarily put in a wildcard ban of 0.0.0.0/0 or some other enormously broad wildcard, then the forum software was telling the truth. If the forum software uses "you've been permanently banned" as the default exception result in a try/catch construct around some complex user lookup/assignment that can actually fail is numerous ways, then the forum software is dangerously broken. Assuming any non valid result is the one error that you were anticipating, without checking to see that the error is what you expected, is dangerously sloppy programming. "We are experiencing temporary technical difficulties, please try again later" ("Not now Josephine") would be a quite reasonable response in an exception section, if you didn't match any of the anticipated errors (and, of course, such an exceptional exception should be logged and/or emailed to an admin so the unanticipated error can be investigated).

(Decades ago I was helping another sysadmin/programmer with a fairly primitive menuing system, and he questioned why I added an error at the very bottom of a long series of tests that said, "What the heck?". About a year later, he called me up and said, "it's so weird, one of my users just got 'what the heck?' on their screen" - made it really easy to track down where things were broken.)
Last edited by CarlRJ on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:18 pm

BTW2, I'm not as sanguine as you seem to be about this board (the RPI board) not being problematic. I've had the problem in the past - where it would log you out for no reason and similar - and had developed the clipboard hack as a defense back then.

In fact, it has happened more than a few times in the history of this board.
I had it happen two or three times over the last 6 years. Considering my post count and the amount of time I spend in here, that doesn't seem to bad. No software is perfect, or net connection. Bound to be issues sooner or later.

You cannot really count the last 24 hours, an upgrade always throws up issues that have escaped testing.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:00 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:54 pm
jamesh wrote:
The message is important, if it is truthful. If someone in the office temporarily put in a wildcard ban of 0.0.0.0/0 or some other enormously broad wildcard, then the forum software was telling the truth. If the forum software uses "you've been permanently banned" as the default exception result in a try/catch construct around some complex user lookup/assignment that can actually fail is numerous ways, then the forum software is dangerously broken. Assuming any non valid result is the one error that you were anticipating, without checking to see that the error is what you expected, is dangerously sloppy programming. "We are experiencing temporary technical difficulties, please try again later" ("Not now Josephine") would be a quite reasonable response in an exception section, if you didn't match any of the anticipated errors (and, of course, such an exceptional exception should be logged and/or emailed to an admin so the unanticipated error can be investigated).
Actually, from what I hear, it wasn't the forum software that broke.....that software worked exactly as it was supposed to do.

As for the programming, that is down to the PHPBB developers, not us. Our team are putting together a new skin (with some minor SW changes IIUIC), not the underlying functionality.

drgeoff

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Another request for a small change to the RPi theme.

On the old software, clicking the 'Jump to' made the drop down appear with the list positioned to include the subforum that one was already in. This made it easy to skip up or down to a nearby sub forum.

The current version of the RPi theme always starts the drop down with the box showing the very top of the list of subforums. Much less user friendly.

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm

jamesh wrote:
Actually, from what I hear, it wasn't the forum software that broke.....that software worked exactly as it was supposed to do.

As for the programming, that is down to the PHPBB developers, not us. Our team are putting together a new skin (with some minor SW changes IIUIC), not the underlying functionality.
So, some access control plugin then. And I'm quite aware that you're running (not developing) phpBB, and "merely" theming it and figuring out all the right knobs to twist in the settings (which can be complex and subtle). The point remains that defaulting to an error message of "You've been permanently banned" if the software hasn't conclusively determined that that is actually the case, is bad programming, whether that's on the heads of the phpBB folks or some plugin developer..

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:01 pm

The point remains that defaulting to an error message of "You've been permanently banned" if the software hasn't conclusively determined that that is actually the case, is bad programming, ...
I think we all agree on that, but the position seems to be that it can't be helped.

The "halting problem" and all that...

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm
jamesh wrote:

So, some access control plugin then. And I'm quite aware that you're running (not developing) phpBB, and "merely" theming it and figuring out all the right knobs to twist in the settings (which can be complex and subtle). The point remains that defaulting to an error message of "You've been permanently banned" if the software hasn't conclusively determined that that is actually the case, is bad programming, whether that's on the heads of the phpBB folks or some plugin developer..
You can keep guessing what the problem was,but it seems fruitless. it was somewhat more 'interesting' than just a 'programming error', and AIUI, not to do with the PHPBB or the skin software, which was giving the correct message for the data it was being provided with. But I'll see whether I can be more specific tomorrow.

PeterO

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Please can we have quoted text the same size as new reply text ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:18 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm
it was somewhat more 'interesting' than just a 'programming error'
Yes; my guess was wide of the mark, and only intended as a suggestion as to the sort of thing it could be. Turns out it was something else.

klricks

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 pm

I am getting email notifications to random topics that I have not posted to or subscribed to or even read before.

I am subscribed to the general discussion sub forum and get the same notifications as before.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Imperf3kt

Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:01 am

Not gonna lie. I seriously dislike the change, but I'll get over it
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

beta-tester

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:06 am

in the RPI skin, the top header meu "* | BLOG | DOWNLOADS | COMMUNITY | HELP | FORUMS | EDUCATIONS | *" does not have the same color values like on the base webpage https://www.raspberrypi.org/
top header menu - original.PNG
top header menu - original.PNG (10.76 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
top header menu - RPI.PNG
top header menu - RPI.PNG (12.79 KiB) Viewed 3313 times
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

PeterO

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:29 am

In RPI theme, can we have something a bit more distinctive than the attached icon to mark threads that we have already contributed to ?
PeterO
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (696 Bytes) Viewed 3300 times
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

grega
Site Admin

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 am

beta-tester wrote:
in the RPI skin, the top header meu "* | BLOG | DOWNLOADS | COMMUNITY | HELP | FORUMS | EDUCATIONS | *" does not have the same color values like on the base webpage https://www.raspberrypi.org/
The nav in the RPI theme has had a little refresh when compared to the main site's nav; in particular the colours used adhere to our updated visual guidelines.

PeterO

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 am

grega wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 am
beta-tester wrote:
The nav in the RPI theme has had a little refresh when compared to the main site's nav; in particular the colours used adhere to our updated visual guidelines.
It looks like "Updated visual guidance" means far too many muted pastel shaded. It all looks rather insipid now :-( Needs more bold and bright colours and proper BLACK on WHITE text !
PeterO

piglet

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:01 am

Burngate wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm
Piglet & RaTTuS: will that Firefox styles thing work for RPI theme, not just for ProSilver?
EDIT: no it doesn't. Shame.
Still, back in ProSilver, I've got my screen real-estate back. Thanks to you both.
Here you go. While I'm no expert in these things, the Raspberry_Pi theme CSS seems rather...hacked together...

To install: https://userstyles.org/styles/145762/piglet-raspberry

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain("raspberrypi.org") {
.wrap /*Prosilver*/, .chunk /*RPI*/ {
    max-width: none !important;
    padding: 5px !important;
}

/*Raspberry_Pi*/ 
.container {
    width: 100% !important;
    padding: 5px !important;
}
.bs-row {
    margin-left: auto !important;
}

}

gordon77

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Agreed. Can we have the original back ?
It will take some time to get used to it, if ever...

gordon77

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:46 am

gordon77 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Agreed. Can we have the original back ?
It will take some time to get used to it, if ever...
I managed to get to RPI, which is slightly better...

Return to “General discussion”