Lazaras

Can the Pi-0W be used as a Wifi/BLuetooth Dongle?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I've noticed my laptop's internal wifi card is going dodgey, and my desktop does not have bluetooth. (older hardware.) So I'm left wondering if I could use the pi-Zero to solve either issue by having it act as a 'blind' passthrough so whatever it's plugged into can go 'oh hey this is a wifi dongle/Bluetooth receiver. I will use that.'

fruitoftheloom

Re: Can the Pi-0W be used as a Wifi/BLuetooth Dongle?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Lazaras wrote:I've noticed my laptop's internal wifi card is going dodgey, and my desktop does not have bluetooth. (older hardware.) So I'm left wondering if I could use the pi-Zero to solve either issue by having it act as a 'blind' passthrough so whatever it's plugged into can go 'oh hey this is a wifi dongle/Bluetooth receiver. I will use that.'
Read up on ""gadget mode" http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=699
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

Lazaras

Re: Can the Pi-0W be used as a Wifi/BLuetooth Dongle?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Lazaras wrote:I've noticed my laptop's internal wifi card is going dodgey, and my desktop does not have bluetooth. (older hardware.) So I'm left wondering if I could use the pi-Zero to solve either issue by having it act as a 'blind' passthrough so whatever it's plugged into can go 'oh hey this is a wifi dongle/Bluetooth receiver. I will use that.'
Read up on ""gadget mode" http://blog.gbaman.info/?p=699
So I get you can make the target computer the pi goes into 'see' the pi as an eathernet connection, but how do I get the pi's wifi to pass info to the target box.

I am not a clever boy, and the pi is proving all my ideas are outside of my reach.

Return to “Networking and servers”