Re: Mpeg 2 poll

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 am

mikerr wrote: Maybe have a model C "media model" with mpeg2 included

Yes please :P

tufty

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am

mikerr wrote:
tufty wrote:As far as I see it, the only sane option would be to bundle mpeg2 licensing with every pi sold, and take the hit, in the same way that's happening for H.264.
So roughly how much is h.264 licencing currently costing per Pi ? $2 ?
Can't remember offhand, it was mentioned in one of the many previous and interminable bi-weekly 'moaning about lack of codecs' sessions.
Maybe have a model C "media model" with mpeg2 included
Great idea except you'd need some not-easily-reversed hardware way of detecting if you had a model C. Only way I can see that happening is via a board change, which is gonna cost money in terms of redesign, redoing compliance testing, and above all having more than one type of board on the production line.

Not gonna happen, IMO.

itimpi

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I believe that h264 licensing is free - although I could be wrong!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:24 pm

itimpi wrote:I believe that h264 licensing is free - although I could be wrong!
You are wrong. $1 of your Pi purchase price goes to MPLA for H264 and MPEG4.

itimpi

Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35 pm

dom wrote:
itimpi wrote:I believe that h264 licensing is free - although I could be wrong!
You are wrong. $1 of your Pi purchase price goes to MPLA for H264 and MPEG4.
I wnet looking and fopund the following: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/a-closer ... enses/2884
My reading of thst is that the RaspPi would fall into the 20c per Pi bracket? They are well past the free allocation of 100,000 and will not reach the 10c bracket of 5 million.

of course we could always get a statement from the foundation as to what they really pay!

thefrog

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:25 pm

tufty wrote:
mikerr wrote:
tufty wrote:As far as I see it, the only sane option would be to bundle mpeg2 licensing with every pi sold, and take the hit, in the same way that's happening for H.264.
So roughly how much is h.264 licencing currently costing per Pi ? $2 ?
Can't remember offhand, it was mentioned in one of the many previous and interminable bi-weekly 'moaning about lack of codecs' sessions.
Great idea except you'd need some not-easily-reversed hardware way of detecting if you had a model C. Only way I can see that happening is via a board change, which is gonna cost money in terms of redesign, redoing compliance testing, and above all having more than one type of board on the production line.

Not gonna happen, IMO.
This thread is only about MPEG2, but there are a lot of 'moaning about lack of codecs' beyond MPEG2. Encoding is one I see often for folks that want cameras on the Pi. There is also a separate slice of things that probably very difficult because of limits of access to the GPU (example: Computer Vision).

The foundation has a mission; they shouldn't undertake addressing this issue unless it is Core to that mission in their judgement. I have some goals -- and the opinion that the Pi could satisfy my goals if it could do a little more (MPEG2 for now, maybe something else later). I also have the opinion that the Pi is valuable and worthwhile even if it never satisfies my goals with 'this' or 'that' thing that I want.

I think I could understand if the Foundation chose not to address an issue that entire companies exist to address. I won't say that such a decision would make me happy -- but it wouldn't diminish my respect for the foundation, its goals, and its accomplishments with bringing out the Pi.

Right now, hope is being held out that something is possible with delivering the codecs. It has not been ruled out that something might be coming in the future. The discussion is of what that 'something' will look like given the landscape of loss of control of the 'blob' and the headaches of various implementation schemes.

Frankly, a list of where it goes on the priority list would be good. (For instance, "we are working on a camera module right now... should be done *mused upon date redacted*.. ask us about codecs after christmas").

I'd really like a stereo camera module myself. Oh look.. something shiny...

AndrewS

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:24 am

tufty wrote:
Unless the "Model C" (C = codecs ;) ) is just a Model B with something "extra" burnt into the SoC's OTP area :?:

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 am

itimpi wrote:[They are well past the free allocation of 100,000 and will not reach the 10c bracket of 5 million.
First part of that...sure, no argument. Second part...not yet, but how sure are you it won't happen? Or is that annual sales? (And even then...)

Return to “General discussion”