JohnSmith41

OpenWRT on Pi 3

Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:34 pm

I am trying to set up the Pi 3 with OpenWRT to use it as a router. However, upon booting the official OpenWRT Pi 2 distro, I get no green ACT led, and my monitor shows a rainbow screen. From my understanding, this is because of a difference in firmware, but I can't do a 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade' because DD-WRT doesn't have apt-get. Is there a way to upgrade the firmware manually, or some other solution to this problem?
My former home is at http://www.smwcentral.net/ and that is where you can PM me if you need to

JohnSmith41

Re: OpenWRT on Pi 3

Wed May 11, 2016 2:14 am

Just a followup, I got the image to boot by moving over the bootcode.bin, fixup.dat, and start.elf from Raspbian to the OpenWRT card. Now the Pi boots up, but the Wifi doesn't work!

Is there a specific set of files I need to make it work?
My former home is at http://www.smwcentral.net/ and that is where you can PM me if you need to

DougieLawson

Wed May 11, 2016 7:10 pm

Wire it to your network and run sudo rpi-update that will get the latest bootcode, kernel and /lib/modules for the 4.4.9-v7 kernel and should get your WiFi running.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

JohnSmith41

Thu May 12, 2016 7:51 am

DougieLawson wrote:Wire it to your network and run sudo rpi-update that will get the latest bootcode, kernel and /lib/modules for the 4.4.9-v7 kernel and should get your WiFi running.
The problem is, I am using OpenWRT, not Raspbian, so I don't have rpi-update (or sudo, for that matter). Plus, I think it is also using an older kernel, 3.10.49 if I am reading the information page correctly. Can I download and compile the modules on my own, and then put them in /lib/modules?

DougieLawson

Thu May 12, 2016 5:41 pm

You can't use ANY kernel earlier than 4.1.19 on an RPI3.

Get rpi-update by downloading it from https://github.com/hexxeh/rpi-update
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Budgie

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:43 pm

JohnSmith41 wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Wire it to your network and run sudo rpi-update that will get the latest bootcode, kernel and /lib/modules for the 4.4.9-v7 kernel and should get your WiFi running.
The problem is, I am using OpenWRT, not Raspbian, so I don't have rpi-update (or sudo, for that matter). Plus, I think it is also using an older kernel, 3.10.49 if I am reading the information page correctly. Can I download and compile the modules on my own, and then put them in /lib/modules?
Hi I have similar problems and do not believe the last answer addressed the issues. Did you ever solve this?

Paddyhaig

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Did this ever go any further? I'm surprised that one of the geniuses out there, has not built a OpenWRT/Raspberry Pi3 image as of yet? Or have they??? :-)

flatmax

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:57 pm

Buildroot has raspberry pi support :
https://github.com/buildroot/buildroot/ ... _defconfig

Openwrt is related to buildroot, however I am not sure of the effort required to get a similar build going on openwrt. The first hurdle is to setup the kernel to build with the correct config. After that, the ether/wifi setup and once that is up, the rest should come for free.

If you get buildroot working and verify that the wifi works, then you can mimik the linux defconfig and probably a lot of other things in openwrt.

To compile buildroot ... git clone their repo then either make menuconfig and configure like that or
make raspberrypi3_defconfig " then "make" ... the results will be in output/images

Matt
Discuss hearing, acoustics, audio injector products, - https://lists.audioinjector.net/mailman/listinfo/people
Sound card for the Raspberry Pi with inbuilt microphone : www.audioinjector.net
Audio Inector Octo multitrack GPIO sound card

Paddyhaig

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Thank you for your input and shared knowledge Matt.
I'm something of a novice at Linux, however I've been dabbling with it for almost 15 years now and had an interest in it for 20. :-) The last time I compiled something was on a Trustix box about 12 years ago. I re-compiled the kernel to introduce new features. I know Raspberry Pi is probably not the best Wi-Fi router hardware out there (I'm using the Pi3) but it is interesting, in that I get to delve into areas of the operating system that are not normally exposed to a commercial market router purchaser. Presently I'm quite proud of the little Raspberry Pi router I've managed to build and configure. It uses the 4G tethering feature of my mobile phone as the upstream connection. It automatically links to my phone as soon as I turn on the phones hot-spot. On the other side of my raspberry router, I have a wireless DLNA connected TV, an Ethernet connected QNAP NAS, my wireless Raspberry Pi3 (My own custom build MotionEye) surveillance cameras, my wireless connected notebook and tablet. Everything seems to be pretty secure from outside intruders I believe.
I built the router config from tutorials I found on the web and using Webmin. I'd love to of been able to possibly introduce OpenWRT with its web interface configuration into the equation. If anything, just for its elegance and slightly easier to use format. Webmin is very cool, however you do need a little more knowledge of what your doing to use it. Thank you everyone. Hopefully someone will build an OpenWRT port .img for the Raspberry Pi3.

SeanHavins

Sun May 14, 2017 1:13 pm

As of this posting the official compatible hardware list does not mention rPi3 however, digging further, I found this page that indicates that it is covered and was supported a year ago.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_p ... spberry_pi
The only compiled image files are for rPi1 and rPi2. There is a link to what looks to be a difference file that ends in ".mk". I think one could find how to use this to create a usable image file for an rPi3. Maybe.

I've just ordered an rPi3 for this project and will dive in soon. Hopefully, by the time it arrives, I'll know more.
Last edited by SeanHavins on Sun May 14, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeanHavins

Sun May 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Further search for examples led me to this interesting tidbit;
OpenWRT is pretty much a non-project now, almost all of the developers have moved to the LEDE project, and the OpenWRT core hasn't really had any updates since the split back a few months ago.
This does seem to explain the lack of recent work on the OpenWRT project that I was finding (rather, not finding). Since the firewall I'm building is to be used, I'll see if the LEDE project suits my needs better.
https://lede-project.org/start

SeanHavins

Sun May 14, 2017 5:26 pm

The LEDE Project looks promising and even has a recent compiled .img for the rPi3. As this is off-topic to this thread, I'll post more on a new thread when I've started the build.

mattrix

Tue May 30, 2017 10:56 pm

You can easily install LEDE Project using PINN (a fork of NOOBS)
www.matthuisman.nz

Return to “Other”