FatalXception

Waterproof case for Pi Zero?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:57 pm

I've been toying with an idea for a Rpi0 project, but I need a waterproof hard case for it- the project would require it to be wearable, waterproof, and shock resistant. I have an autistic daughter, and am considering a project to make a tracking bracelet that could be work on the wrist, ankle, or possibly as an attachment to some other personal item. If you're not familiar with the needs of such a device, what is needed is more than *just* a tracker, and there is a huge need, as it can benefit elderly patients suffering with all kinds of dementia, Alzheimer's, etc.
I have searched and don't see anything on the market that would fit- does anyone know of any cases, or could anyone offer "getting started" advice on how to even design such a case? I have access to various CAD packages but simply don't know how to get the wheels off the ground for something like this- I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

mattmiller

Re: Waterproof case for Pi Zero?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:54 pm

This person did a waterproof A case
http://imgur.com/gallery/gQP86

There is a link to downloadable file for it

Prob best starting off getting one printed out and seeing if you can fit all your components/battery inside it and then look into making it a bit smaller

Matthew

PMI

Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:24 pm

FatalXception wrote:...don't see anything on the market that would fit- does anyone know of any cases, or could anyone offer "getting started" advice on how to even design such a case?...
This will depend very much on what has to come out of the enclosure, desirable battery life, recharge v. replacement, etc. The simplest enclosure that can easily be sealed (without fabricating something new) is a plastic square "pipe", which only has to be closed at the ends.

cc646

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:26 am

Any luck with this? What did you decide to go with?

raj

Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 pm

I have a camera connected to a regular Pi B (or maybe B+). I mounted an outlet which has USB ports into an outdoor electrical box, put an outdoor "in use" cover on the box, then cut a hole for the camera, sealing around it (carefully!) with silicone. Attached an electrical cord to the outlet and plugged it in. Now I have a self-contained Pi camera in a weather resistant box, which can be plugged in and moved anywhere.

peterlite

Sun May 21, 2017 7:05 am

Our local shops have food containers that are waterproof, complete with rubber o ring, and in many sizes. They are cheap and often on sale at half price. One is perfect for a zero with a battery and one layer of add-on wiring. I find these cases the best prototyping cases for things not in direct sunlight all day every day. For use in outside in our hot summer weather, you need a metal top to reflect the sun and transfer heat to the outside world.

Geekworm

Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 am

New ABS Case for Raspberry Pi Zero / Raspberry Zero W
You can see the picture here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Ras ... 7.2.Le4wmI
Geekworm Official Store!
Know more Raspberry Pi Related Product Information: http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/Product_Manual#Raspberry_Pi

mattmiller

Tue May 23, 2017 8:07 am

I don't think that's going to keep much water out

Return to “Other projects”