spamurai

Re: Best Pi Case - Opinions/Recommendations?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
spamurai wrote: I would agree with what makes it a good case.

The things i look for are:
1)Strong/secure (keeps RPi in place steadily)
2)Vented (no sides to allow air flow)
3)Additional holes (access to GPIO and headers)
4)Transparent (so you can see all the coolness)
#1 Agreed. This covers the prime requirements.
#2 Maybe...but not really *needed*. A case closed on all sides has some advantages outside a carefully controlled environment...like added protection from spilled liquids (common around children) and generally improved protection from curious fingers.
#3 This depends on your planned use. For someone doing hardware applications, certainly. For someone only doing software applications of the RPi...not needed and goes to my points concerning item #2.
#4 A "Nice to have" feature, even it its only the top. I'd love to see a transparent case like the modmypi case done. But the, I'd also like to have an option to get one of the "cases" that are just two slabs of plexiglass (==perspex?) *without* the slots cut in the top for header access to add even a little "spill proofing".
You have valid opinions. I would agree with all of them.
The reason i like the "additional holes" for the headers etc is you never know when you might change your mind and decide to do something different with the RPi.
As for the ventilation, i just like to be over protective :D
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

rplantz

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:40 pm

spamurai wrote:
adlambert wrote:Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
Worst... Case... Ever... :lol:
What are your reasons for saying this is the worst case?

I'm not trying to argue here, just looking for some enlightenment. I just learned about the Raspberry Pi a couple of days ago and ordered mine with one of these cases. My main reasons are that it is very cheap, and I don't know enough about the parameters and choices to do anything else at this point. I'm still plowing my way through the many posts on the topic and trying to sort out what might me significant to me.

Pygar

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:41 am

I literally just got done unboxing and assembling my Adafruit case. I like it- the plastic is good and heavy. Probably is more brittle than softer plastics, but the latches worked for me with just a bit of wiggling while I positioned things, gently.

I got the add-on GPIO cable, as it will never be any more convenient to do so, if I choose to use it for anything. And it's cheap. And I went ahead and installed it.

When I opened it, the sides had a tan tape overlaying one side, for protection and to hold optional-removal parts in case you don't want to remove them. On this case, it was the networking port- you can leave it shut if you wish; I didn't. The stuff did not want to come off, but I hit each piece with some denatured alcohol and waited a couple of minutes. I had little trouble peeling up an edge as needed. The tape residue wiped right off with more alcohol.

Putting it together was easy, just make sure the lettering is facing correctly and you can't go wrong.

Now, off to try and figure out how to install OpenElec onto a card using Windows... Win32etc. turned up its nose at the file I downloaded the other day.
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:58 am

rplantz wrote:
spamurai wrote:
adlambert wrote:Here's a link to the Raspberry Pi case on the US face of RS site (Allied).
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
It's much rather large, compared to the RPi. Kind of like that proportions of a medium or full tower to a standard PC-type motherboard. It's also ugly and only appears to come in red.

adi518

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:48 pm

I just received another RS invitation code and I went it to see if there's anything new....

Well they added a clear case:

This one ain't new but I didn't see a posted picture of it before so:

I like to call this one "Berry White" hehe...:lol:

PS,
I think I previously posted that they cost 4$ well no... I got that wrong somehow... it's 6.5$.

spamurai

Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
rplantz wrote:
spamurai wrote: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/produc ... U=70231926
It's much rather large, compared to the RPi. Kind of like that proportions of a medium or full tower to a standard PC-type motherboard. It's also ugly and only appears to come in red.
Just remember rplantz, its personal taste and how convenient it is to each person.
But for me, W. H. Heydt pretty much summed it up. Thats my view too. But hey, it might work for some :D

adi518 wrote:I just received another RS invitation code and I went it to see if there's anything new....

This one ain't new but I didn't see a posted picture of it before so:

I like to call this one "Berry White" hehe...:lol:

PS,
I think I previously posted that they cost 4$ well no... I got that wrong somehow... it's 6.5$.
They are nice and tidy cases. Even though i go on and on about transparent cases, i'm taking a liking to the "berry white" too.
And you still can't moan at the price.

I think if a company is going to go to the effort to design a case, they should make 2 models of every one they manufacture, one, for example, like the "berry white" solid/enclosed case, then a second, exactly the same but with additional holes for the extra ports/headers.
That way, their product would appeal to almost every RPi owner no matter whether they are developing hardware, software or both...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!
01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001

mlk

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:17 pm

The cardboard box it comes in and a pair of scissors:

Transparency: Leave the top open.
Ventilation Holes: As many or as few as required.
Cool looking: Has a Pi logo on it, thus cool.
Port access: As many or as few as required.

Plus it does not come in red (but could be painted if desired).

See. Perfect. ;)

Eagle1753

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

The clear case is out of stock now !! I was about to order my Raspberry toegether with that case and I noticed that message :( I'll order both the two when it becomes available again.
Does anyone know if and when they're going to put that online again?? :( Tks

adi518

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Eagle1753 wrote:The clear case is out of stock now !! I was about to order my Raspberry toegether with that case and I noticed that message :( I'll order both the two when it becomes available again.
Does anyone know if and when they're going to put that online again?? :( Tks
I see no reason why they wouldn't. You guys have to remember, the point is, that within a year's time anyone can order the Pi without waiting, it's not limited edition stuff.

thexman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:52 pm

try the www.Yoctopuce.com case design plane top if you need one and holds the Pi firmly in place i am currently listed on E bay selling the Free design version available from there website my links in the Old shoppe at the bottom thanks.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

joeka

Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 am

adi518 wrote:I just received another RS invitation code and I went it to see if there's anything new....

Well they added a clear case
If I understood correctly, you can only order this with a new valid invite code, right?
Can you order more than one case when ordering your PI?

I already have mine but no case, if this was possible I could ask someone to order a second case for me.

Alfadaz

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:06 am

I was going to order the RS one, but they want £4.95 for delivery. :(

I will keep looking.

Daz

jojojojojojo

Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 am

Hello,
can someone give me link to this nice case? Was searching on the RS-page but no luck..
Thanks already in advance,
Johannes

Alfadaz

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:25 pm

You can only view/order it, with a unused invite to order 'unique activation code'.

It doesnt seem to be listed on the RS website.

Daz

guidol

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:34 pm

I like the case from built-to-spec

It isnt a clear case, but seems to be stable, got the screws on the right place (not too near the pcb) and has a place for the flatribbon GPIO-cable.

So I ordered one for my Raspberry:)

clickykbd

Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

guidol wrote:I like the case from built-to-spec
Am I crazy or is this the first case i've seen with clearly labeled connection areas, a nice touch. It also looks pretty nice!
Edit, just noticed... LED redirection channeling too! Fancy!

guidol

Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 pm

clearly labeled connection areas could additionally found at the following case:
but it doesnt have all the "features" of the built-to-spec case :)

ren41

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:25 pm

I like the look of the built-to-spec case. At present though, I have a lego case which was free, apart from the time spent sorting through boxes and boxes of lego. If I want to incorporate a daughterboard or add in my powered hub or whatever then I can change the design and given that we don't know how peripherals will develop in the coming months, I'm keen to keep that flexibility.

My main desire was to get the Pi enclosed for safety's sake - I pretty much used the first suitable lego bricks I came across, whilst trying to fulfill the obvious criteria. I had to fight the desire to make the box 'just so' but I should have had to search through another 3 'small appliance' sized boxes full of lego for the right parts.

All that lego! I can only hope at some point or another one of my children produces a child who wants it. And it's been in the loft and all wants a good scrub with a toothbrush :shock:

ren

Return to “General discussion”