Belekz

Keyboard settings over Remote Desktop

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi,

I have some troubles using windows remote desktop. I'm living in Belgium so we use the French azerty keyboards. When I start a remote session with remote desktop and xrdp, the default keyboard is qwerty. I tried to change the layout by mouse and keyboard settings but that seams to be not available from remote desktop... (when I click the "keyboard layout" button nothing happens, the next window does not appears)

Is there a command line to do this using the terminal? Or maybe a shortcut in Raspbian? In Windows its just ALT + SHIFT and it's done. Or maybe I can add a line into the xsessionrc file? I use this file the change the cursor back into normal.

Thanks for all!

DougieLawson

Re: Keyboard settings over Remote Desktop

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Stop using rdp. Switch to RealVNC and everything becomes more sane and sensible.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ernst

Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 pm

I have used the following to setup the german keyboard on one of my installations where I use rdp:

Code: Select all

cat > /home/pi/.config/lxkeymap.cfg << EOF
[Global]
layout = de
variant = nodeadkeys
option = 
EOF
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Belekz

Tue May 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Ernst wrote:I have used the following to setup the german keyboard on one of my installations where I use rdp:
I checked the config file that you use, and I have

Layout = fr
So it looks like the layout still is overwritten while I run Windows Remote desktop

Belekz

Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Stop using rdp. Switch to RealVNC and everything becomes more sane and sensible.
I wasn't able to run Windows remote desktop while RealVNC is enable.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Belekz wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Stop using rdp. Switch to RealVNC and everything becomes more sane and sensible.
DL was stating NOT to use Microsofts Remote desktop Protocol, but switch to using RealVNC as it is included with the latest version of the RPFs Raspbian Jessie with Pixel.

https://www.realvnc.com/raspberrypi/
Retired disgracefully.....

klricks

Tue May 02, 2017 5:13 pm

Belekz wrote:
With RealVNC you need to use the client viewer software from here:
https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/
Much much better than RDP.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Belekz

Wed May 03, 2017 6:17 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
DL was stating NOT to use Microsofts Remote desktop Protocol, but switch to using RealVNC as it is included with the latest version of the RPFs Raspbian Jessie with Pixel.

Oh ok, I thought that DL suggest replacing xrdp with RealVNC , but still connect the computers with remote desktop :D . So now I understand that RealVNC is a compleet, and beter way to communicate? Can you tell me why you prefer RealVNC? I'm new to this.

For people who still want to run xrdp on an AZERTY keyboard, I found a solution for my problem.

cd /etc/xrdp

setxkbmap -layout be

sudo cp km-0409.ini km-0409.ini.bkf

sudo xrdp-henkeymap km-0409.ini
With these commands in the terminal you made a new file (km-0409.ini) in the directory /etc/xrdp. With the command genkeymap you made this file executable. After this procedure you have to reboot your RPi.

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Belekz wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Oh ok, I thought that DL suggest replacing xrdp with RealVNC , but still connect the computers with remote desktop :D . So now I understand that RealVNC is a compleet, and beter way to communicate? Can you tell me why you prefer RealVNC? I'm new to this.

For people who still want to run xrdp on an AZERTY keyboard, I found a solution for my problem.

cd /etc/xrdp

setxkbmap -layout be

sudo cp km-0409.ini km-0409.ini.bkf

sudo xrdp-henkeymap km-0409.ini
With these commands in the terminal you made a new file (km-0409.ini) in the directory /etc/xrdp. With the command genkeymap you made this file executable. After this procedure you have to reboot your RPi.
RealVNC the originators of the protocol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RealVNC

RealVNC developers worked with RPF / RPT to add features specific to the Raspberry Pi family and was included with release of RaspbianJessies Pixel Dedktop:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/introducing-pixel/

They like the RPF / RPT are based in Cambridge UK
Retired disgracefully.....

klricks

Thu May 04, 2017 3:14 am

Belekz wrote:........Can you tell me why you prefer RealVNC? I'm new to this.....
IMO RVNC viewer is much better.
- Much more secure connection.
- Copy & Paste works (to/from RPi)
- There is a built in file transfer tool (to/from RPi).
- Auto reconnect on RPi reboot.
- User and password can be saved for 1 click access.
- The optional cloud service allows connection from anywhere
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

ktb

Thu May 04, 2017 3:24 am

The only downside to VNC is the lack of audio support, IMO.

Belekz

Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 pm

klricks wrote:
Belekz wrote:........Can you tell me why you prefer RealVNC? I'm new to this.....
IMO RVNC viewer is much better.
- Much more secure connection.
- Copy & Paste works (to/from RPi)
- There is a built in file transfer tool (to/from RPi).
- Auto reconnect on RPi reboot.
- User and password can be saved for 1 click access.
- The optional cloud service allows connection from anywhere
ktb wrote:The only downside to VNC is the lack of audio support, IMO.

Oke thanks a lot guy's! I'll try RealVNC to run me RPi applications from now on!

Ollittm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm

(X)RDP has the minor benefit of being much (much!) faster due to actually knowing about windows composition instead of essentially sending a video stream over local network. One part of that is that your keyboard is more tightly coupled with the RDP server hence configuration is needed.

With RDP copy paste works fine as long as you have XRDP compiled with --enable-fuse, which Raspian stretch does have.

Speed may not make any difference if you're using your headless system over gigabit ethernet but if you have something like mobile data connection over 2G edge at the remote end, RDP causes less trauma.

Incidentally, if you want UK keymap to work with xrdp, you have to edit /etc/xrdp/xrdp_keyboard.ini and add two lines. For some reason the UK keymap file is included but inifile does not refer to it.

after
[default_rdp_layouts]

add
rdp_layout_gb=0x00000809

and after
[default_layouts_map]

add
rdp_layout_gb=gb

That's it, as long as you picked GB as your keyboard in raspi-config.

Incidentally, that's copy-pasted from remote desktop session.. main thing to remember is about shift-ctrl-c and shift-ctrl-v because linux command line does not like ctrl-c and ctrl-v even on desktop.

Return to “Raspbian”