Denngray

Synchronet BBS on the PI

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:05 am

razzpie.ddns.net
Instructions on how to install Synchronet BBS on a Raspberry PI - Enjoy
Last edited by Denngray on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denn Gray Sysop of The Razz Pie BBS Telnet = razzpie.ddns.net:2300
port 2300 - Email me @ [email protected] or [email protected] for any questions or advise on setting up Mystic BBS software. Website = razzpie.ddns.net

Denngray

Re: Synchronet BBS on the PI

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 am

Raspbian Install

Here are step-by-step instructions on building and installing Synchronet on a Raspbian computer (Raspberry Pi running Debian Linux OS).

These instructions were created using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspbian version 4.4.21:

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.4.21-v7+ #911 SMP Thu Sep 15 14:22:38 BST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Instructions
Get to a Terminal/command prompt (e.g. login via SSH or run the Terminal application from the PIXEL desktop). Login as your preferred user account to run the BBS software.

These instructions install Synchronet (source code, executables, configuration, and data files) into a sub-directory named sbbs off of the home directory of the current user (e.g. /home/pi/sbbs if logged in as the user pi). If you wish to install into a different directory (e.g. /sbbs instead of ~/sbbs), then change the following commands as you see fit.

Type each of these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cvs
sudo apt-get install zip
sudo apt-get install libnspr4-dev
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
mkdir /sbbs
cd /sbbs
sudo wget http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs. ... NUmakefile
sudo make install SYMLINK=1 (wait for build to complete successfully)
export SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/ctrl
sudo /sbbs/exec/scfg (configure as desired, see sbbs.ini for more Synchronet server settings)
sudo /sbbs/exec/sbbs <-run BBS
Run Synchronet BBS on a Raspberry PI 2 or 3
Just edited the above to install at root level, makes it much easier to run the BBS and the scfg
Last edited by Denngray on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
port 2300 - Email me @ [email protected] or [email protected] for any questions or advise on setting up Mystic BBS software. Website = razzpie.ddns.net

thumper_price

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm all installed now, but seem to be having issues with SSH, Telnet & FTP. I had it working locally, but now can't connect from outside the network. HTTP is working fine. Any suggestions on what to look for? BTW, port forwarding in router is set correctly.

Denngray

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 am

I'm all installed now, but seem to be having issues with SSH, Telnet & FTP. I had it working locally, but now can't connect from outside the network. HTTP is working fine. Any suggestions on what to look for? BTW, port forwarding in router is set correctly.
Did you port forward ports 21,22 and 23?
say your PI's local ip were 192.168.0.25 you would port forward those ports on your router to your PI's local IP address
what OS are your running? raspian? Ubuntu?

brainsage

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:51 am

These instructions install Synchronet (source code, executables, configuration, and data files) into a sub-directory named sbbs off of the home directory of the current user (e.g. /home/pi/sbbs if logged in as the user pi). If you wish to install into a different directory (e.g. /sbbs instead of ~/sbbs), then change the essay agency commands as you see fit.
Type each of these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cvs
sudo apt-get install zip
sudo apt-get install libnspr4-dev
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev
mkdir /sbbs
cd /sbbs
sudo wget http://cvs.synchro.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs. ... NUmakefile
sudo make install SYMLINK=1 (wait for build to complete successfully)
export SBBSCTRL=/sbbs/ctrl
sudo /sbbs/exec/scfg (configure as desired, see sbbs.ini for more Synchronet server settings)
sudo /sbbs/exec/sbbs <-run BBS
Run Synchronet BBS on a Raspberry PI 2 or 3
Just edited the above to install at root level, makes it much easier to run the BBS and the scfg
Hello,

I ran a Synchronet BBS so long ago on an old 486 and a 14400bps modem. Later I installed the Lite package of Paspbian. Pimp Wars and LORD worked fine through BBSlink.
Instructions how to compile and run it in *nix (in case someone is looking for these too):
http://wiki.synchro.net/install:nix

Return to “General discussion”