Sparks135

Power Adapter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm

I had a recent problem with power needed to supply my addon boards. I have:
1. Real Time Clock Board
2. Auto shutdown board
3. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

The problem showed after I installed the shutdown board. The IR interface would not allow remote control of the Pi. I was told by mfg that there wasn't enough power. a 5V 3.0 Amp supply which solved the problem. I then purchased a PI Supply board which is a battery backup and 5 port USB hub. When I installed iot again the IR remote shutdown module would not work. I then replaced the power adapter with a 3.5 amp and it functions. The mfg said that adapter has too high an amp rating and should not be used. The adapter says it is good for Raspberry Pi. It is called a PWR+ model TBAM3-UL, DC 5V3.5A (MicroUSB). What are your thoughts? I always thought that the amp rating wouldn't matter as it is only the available amps. Like a 100Amp panel, each circuit only gets what it needs. I need to use all my boards, so I need this rectified soon.

Burngate

Re: Power Adapter

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Is this the supply? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWR-6-5-Ft-Fast ... 1279751290

If the manufacturer says it has "too high an amp rating and should not be used" then the back of his neck should be examined for extraneous orifices.
As you point out, it is only the available amps. As long as it maintains its output at 5v at the end of the attached cable, it should be fine.

Your two mentioned add-ons - RTC and Auto-shutdown board - don't sound as if they'd use much current, though you also mention an IR interface, so what else is there that might be taking current?
The Pi itself will take much less than the 2.5A that the polyfuse on board the Pi will allow, with the rest available for USB devices and anything attached to the header.
So 3.5A could be thought of as overkill. But it won't hurt anything.

Sparks135

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Burngate wrote:Is this the supply? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWR-6-5-Ft-Fast ... 1279751290

If the manufacturer says it has "too high an amp rating and should not be used" then the back of his neck should be examined for extraneous orifices.
As you point out, it is only the available amps. As long as it maintains its output at 5v at the end of the attached cable, it should be fine.

Your two mentioned add-ons - RTC and Auto-shutdown board - don't sound as if they'd use much current, though you also mention an IR interface, so what else is there that might be taking current?
The Pi itself will take much less than the 2.5A that the polyfuse on board the Pi will allow, with the rest available for USB devices and anything attached to the header.
So 3.5A could be thought of as overkill. But it won't hurt anything.
Thanks that is what I thought, and yes that is the supply I am using and got it on EBay. Two year warranty, and good reviews.

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Yeah, the current rating means it can supply "up to" that amount. The actual current drawn depends on what the load is and needs. I use a 5V 10 A power pack on my bread board rig. No magic blue smoke etc. ;) And a 5V 4A power pack on another project that has a powerboost battery charger in it Overkill for both situations but both power packs run nice and cool. You want a little extra head room when sourcing your power pack. They don't like to be run at or close to their maximum current rating. They will run hot and the voltage could drop as you get close to the max current rating. You should be fine with the one your using.

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Yeah, the current rating means it can supply "up to" that amount. The actual current drawn depends on what the load is and needs. I use a 5V 10 A power pack on my bread board rig. No magic blue smoke etc. ;) And a 5V 4A power pack on another project that has a powerboost battery charger in it Overkill for both situations but both power packs run nice and cool. You want a little extra head room when sourcing your power pack. They don't like to be run at or close to their maximum current rating. They will run hot and the voltage could drop as you get close to the max current rating. You should be fine with the one your using.
I was very surprised when MarketFocus tech said that to me. Here is the email he sent.

Please do not use the Power adapter with 5v/3.5A…
it's too high for the Raspberry Pi and the board, just 5v/2.5A is ok.
Why don't you try our RTC module ? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZOXWHK4
it's smaller and low power consumption
and your can use the tripple extend board.
and your can use the tripple extend board to mount all of your devices which need to connect to the surprised.

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 pm

He, or she, doesn't have an electronics knowledge, or they wouldn't have said that.

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm

alphanumeric wrote:He, or she, doesn't have an electronics knowledge, or they wouldn't have said that.
Agreed! Now I need to find a USB Hat for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. I need it to be powered, for my project. Not sure if one is available.

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Lots of USB Hats for the Zero, most use the pogo pins though. I don't remember seeing a USB "Hat" for a 3B though? A powered hub will work though.

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Lots of USB Hats for the Zero, most use the pogo pins though. I don't remember seeing a USB "Hat" for a 3B though? A powered hub will work though.
I came across one, but it is called Pi Supply which is 5 port USB hub and Battery supply. Not sure if the hub is powered.. A powered USB hub will not fit in my project do to size. That is why the board was the answer. Not sure if the one for the Zero would work and be powered.

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:39 pm

I haven't seen any USB Hats for the full sized Pi. Have a look at this, http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/zero4u-4 ... AuA68P8HAQ I do believe you can use it as a normal HUB by connecting a cable to the J5 USB port on the end. You'll give up one USB port on your Pi though. You'd also have to remove the pogo pins if you mount it like a hat above your Pi, if its not a Pi Zero. You could likely mount two of them side by side on a 3B.
It states > The Zero4U 4-port USB Hub for Raspberry Pi Zero (v1.2 only) will take power directly from your Raspberry Pi Zero, so you don’t need to power the USB hub separately. However you can use the JST XH2.54 connector on board as the alternative power input port.

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:38 pm

alphanumeric wrote:I haven't seen any USB Hats for the full sized Pi. Have a look at this, http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/zero4u-4 ... AuA68P8HAQ I do believe you can use it as a normal HUB by connecting a cable to the J5 USB port on the end. You'll give up one USB port on your Pi though. You'd also have to remove the pogo pins if you mount it like a hat above your Pi, if its not a Pi Zero. You could likely mount two of them side by side on a 3B.
It states > The Zero4U 4-port USB Hub for Raspberry Pi Zero (v1.2 only) will take power directly from your Raspberry Pi Zero, so you don’t need to power the USB hub separately. However you can use the JST XH2.54 connector on board as the alternative power input port.
Thanks, I will look at that and see if it would work.

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Sparks135 wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:I haven't seen any USB Hats for the full sized Pi. Have a look at this, http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/zero4u-4 ... AuA68P8HAQ I do believe you can use it as a normal HUB by connecting a cable to the J5 USB port on the end. You'll give up one USB port on your Pi though. You'd also have to remove the pogo pins if you mount it like a hat above your Pi, if its not a Pi Zero. You could likely mount two of them side by side on a 3B.
Thanks, I will look at that and see if it would work.
Where can I get a JST XH2.54 adapter to a Raspberry Pi 3 power adapter?

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Adafruit sells these, https://www.adafruit.com/product/261 shows out of stock at the moment. And these, https://www.adafruit.com/product/1829 Or connect the wires of the JST cable to the Pi's +5V and GRD pins of the GPIO header. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3145

Sparks135

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Return to “General discussion”