hanchbang

Which Pi to use?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Hello, I have project to do about lane detection for an autonomous vehicle with usb camera and opencv.I'm gonna buy a pi for this but I'm not sure if pi zero w will do the trick or I need to get Pi 3.Any suggestions/opinions?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Which Pi to use?

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Start with a Pi3B. Once you have your software working the way you want it to, then you can try switching to a Pi0 or Pi0W, If the Pi0 solution turns out to work, you'll still have the Pi3B to do more on this project, or do other projects with and if the Pi0 doesn't work, you're only out an extra $5 or $10. I should note that there are other Pi models that might be suitable if cost. size, or power consumption is an issue, such as the B+, A+, or the coming along one of these times Pi3A.

General advice as regards picking a Pi when starting out...if you're not sure what to use, go for the current top of the line (Pi3B at the moment) unless you have specific, known requirements that would dictate another model.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:03 pm

hanchbang wrote:Hello, I have project to do about lane detection for an autonomous vehicle with usb camera and opencv.I'm gonna buy a pi for this but I'm not sure if pi zero w will do the trick or I need to get Pi 3.Any suggestions/opinions?
A little out of date but helpful ?

http://www.pyimagesearch.com/2016/04/18 ... -opencv-3/
Retired disgracefully.....

hanchbang

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I think this is a great suggestion!The contents from the pi zero w mega kit will work with raspberry pi 3b?I'm thinking to get Pi 3B + Pi Zero W Mega kit from thepihut.com.

@fruitoftheloom: Thanks for the reply, I've seen this also sent him an email.Some of his replies make me have second thoughts for example:
>Hi, do you think the Zero is powerful enough to handle motion detection with OpenCV and the camera module v2?

>For very basic motion detection, you can use the Zero, but you’ll struggle to get more than a couple frames per second processed (if that)

Will Welker

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Start with a Pi3B. Once you have your software working the way you want it to, then you can try switching to a Pi0 or Pi0W
This makes a lot of sense. You will spend a lot of time developing before your deploy. Being able to have a monitor and keyboard hooked right up to your Pi will be handy in the beginning. It is very common for me to start a project by going to the "Pi Drawer" and getting one of my old Pi boards to start it with.
~Will Welker
http://techgirlspalace.com/projects.html

jogl

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm

+1 on start with an RPi3.

alphanumeric

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Most of the accessories in the Zero kit should work on the Pi 3B. The Zero and 3B both have a 40 pin GPIO with identical pinouts. The zero has a Mini HDMI though, and only a Micro USB port. The CSI connector is smaller too and uses a diferent cable than the 3B does to connect the camera module. The 3B has 4 full sized USB 2 ports, and a normal HDMI port. Check the current rating of the power pack before you use it on the 3B. It's recommended you use a 2.5 Amp power pack on the 3B. Lots of info here, https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/

hanchbang

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks for the replies ppl, you are really helpfull!Is it better to get Pi3B starter kit + Pi Zero W or Pi Zero W Mega Kit + Pi3b?If it matters, I will not use the "default" pi camera but a simple usb camera.

alphanumeric

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Post links to the kits so we can see what's in what kit. Keep in mind, for the Zero, you'll likely need a Mini HDMI to HDMI adapter and a Mini USB OTG to USB adapter. It will make setting it up easier than trying remote in to do it on a headless setup.

If it was me, I'd likely order the Zero with a kit for it. That should get all the adapters you'll need for the Zero. Then just add a 5V 2.5 A power pack to the order for the 3B, and maybe a second Micro SD card. Then you'll have two usable Pi's that can be run independently. I have 4 pi's that I use frequently for different things. Plus a few more for tinkering around with.

hanchbang

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Latest Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (64bit Quad Core, 1GB RAM)
16GB Sandisk Ultra Class 10 MicroSD (pre-imaged with NOOBS)
Official Raspberry Pi 5.1V 2.5A International Power Supply (for UK, EU, USA & AUS)
Black Raspberry Pi 3 Case
2M HDMI cable
2M Ethernet Cable

Raspberry Pi Zero W Mega Kit
4 x Rubber Feet (To protect your Raspberry Pi Zero)
1 x MiniHDMI > HDMI adapter (to allow the use of standard HDMI cables)
1 x MicroUSB > USB adapter (to allow the use of standard USB devices)
2 x Single row, 20 pin GPIO headers
1 x Dual row, 40 pin female GPIO header
1 x Dual row, 40 pin right-angled GPIO header
1 x Dual row, 40 pin GPIO header
Raspberry Pi Zero W
*NEW* 16GB MicroSD (with OS installed)
ThePiHut MicroUSB Shim
ThePiHut 5V 2A PSU of your choice

alphanumeric

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:38 pm

I'd order the Raspberry Pi Zero W Mega Kit for sure. You want the adapters and the GPIO headers. Assuming you want a Zero. I'd order both kits if your budget can handle it. The 3B should have no problem running on a 2A power pack. If you don't need the case just order a 3B plus the Zero kit. However, if your going to want a case and any other extra's for the 3B, you may as well just order the 3B kit too.

If I had to pick just one kit, it would be the 3B kit.

hanchbang

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm pretty sure I need zero so I'll probably go for the zero mega kit + 3b.Thanks for the replies everybody!

TheFlickringPi

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:38 pm

It depends on how much money you are willing to spend. The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B is more expensive than the Zero W. However, I would probably use the 3 Model B, based off of the project you are doing.

Also, for the usb camera, just get a camera module for the Raspberry Pi, why don't you do that?
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
kiankhazaei.blogspot.com

hanchbang

Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:59 pm

I know about the price difference but my main concern is the size difference.I think getting both of them is the best choice.This project is part of my bsc thesis and the supervisor doesn't want to use raspberry pi camera module (not sure why though).

peterlite

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 am

The Pi camera has only a short cable, limiting positioning, and the result would not be transferable to other projects. You are also limited to the lens on the camera. For a self drive car, you need several cameras, another reason to start with a USB camera.

The Pi 3 works out to be cheaper than adding USB hubs and everything else to the Pi Zero, until you hit the limit of 4 USB devices. After that they both work out the same. You can get Wifi and Bluetooth cameras to handle communication from the back of a car to the computer up front, which also removes the USB port limit.

The Pi 3 is fast enough to run software development tools. The Zero is just too slow. From what I can see of image processing, you would end up with a Zero per camera while a Pi 3 could process more than one camera.

You might be at the start of an open source driverless car instead of the Tesla style spyware car.

alphanumeric

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am

I have plans to use a Zero in a mini rover with an explorer pHat. I'll have just the one Pi Camera module. Simple needs for my project and it will run headless so I'll only need the adapters for setup.

Reading your first post again, I think you'll be much better off with a 3B. IMHO your going to want the extra processing power and quad cores. It would be the way I would go if I was doing it.

hanchbang

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks for the replies ppl. :D I ordered just the pi 3b starter kit, I think zero isn't suitable at all because of the low ram.

alphanumeric

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Good choice, IMHO. =)

Return to “Beginners”