JinShil

Getting Dispmanx window/layer/element from a X Window

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm a little new to programming the Raspberry Pi, but from what I've read, I'm under the impression that everything on the screen is eventually just a Dispmanx entity (window/element/layer/resource whatever the terminology is). Is this also true for X Windows?

If so, is there any way to get the Dispmanx entity (window/element/layer/resource) of an X window?

Thanks,
Mike

ghans

Re: Getting Dispmanx window/layer/element from a X Window

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

X has no idea about dispmanx layers , and dispmanx has no idea about X windows' windows. They are independent , with dispmanx layers overriding X output.
omxplayerGUI and MinecraftPi create an empty X window and "manually" sync position and size of the dispmanx layer when the X window is manipulated.

ghans
Last edited by ghans on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 pm

All of X displays on one dispmanx layer, at least on the standard build. I am not sure what happens with the latest GL driver, but I suspect it is the same.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dividuum

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

If you want to understand how the content of the screen is put together, you can run vcgencmd like this:

Code: Select all

pi ~ # vcgencmd dispmanx_list
display:2 format:XRGB8888 transform:0 layer:-127 src:0,0,1920,1080 dst:0,0,1920,1080 cost:1156 lbm:0
display is the Diplay for that layer: 2 being HDMI/analog, 0 being DSI (like the Raspberry Pi 7" screen). transform shows things like vertical/horizontal flipping or rotations. layer is the layer: Higher layers cover lower layers. src is which part of a source is actually used for the layer output: Videos, for example, can be scaled up by selecting parts of it and drawing it fullscreen. In dispmanx_list output that might look like this:

Code: Select all

display:2 format:YUV_UV transform:10000 layer:-190 src:0,0,1080,640 dst:49,0,1822,1080 cost:1162 lbm:17408
This transforms a 1920x1080 video, rotates it and takes the 0, 0 -> 640,1080 area and draws that on the screen at the coordinates given in dst. cost is some cost indicator. I'm not entirely sure how useful it is. lbm is "[..]the line buffer memory. That is the context required for vertical resizing. That is a dedicated block of memory in the HVS hardware of 96K. Go above that and elements can't be displayed.[...]" (quote source).

Additional information can be found here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/695 and https://info-beamer.com/blog/raspberry- ... deo-scaler
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Return to “Graphics programming”