ShadyProgrammer

How to use UART 1 on Raspberry Pi CM3 ?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 am

I'm using gpio pins 32(TX) and 33(RX) and want to establish serial communications with a peripheral board. From what I've read so far the above pins should have a secondary function for serial communications. I've added

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=uart1
to the end of /boot/config.txt file in the hopes that everything will work fine. I've conducted some tests and found that by adding this line all that happened when I tried using /dev/ttyS0 that appeared as a result of it was that I was getting garbage on UART0 (/dev/ttyAMA0) gpio pins 14 and 15. Then I added

enable_uart=1
to the end of the same file but it had no effect.

Could anyone please help me ? I'm really stuck

scotty101

Re: How to use UART 1 on Raspberry Pi 3 ?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am

Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

ShadyProgrammer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:25 pm

I'm not trying to disable the default serial port, what I want to do is to enable the extra serial port

klricks

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 pm

ShadyProgrammer wrote:...I'm not trying to disable the default serial port, what I want to do is to enable the extra serial port
You can't use both at the same time as they are both mapped to the same physical pins 8 & 10.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

ShadyProgrammer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:29 pm

klricks wrote:
ShadyProgrammer wrote:...I'm not trying to disable the default serial port, what I want to do is to enable the extra serial port
You can't use both at the same time as they are both mapped to the same physical pins 8 & 10.
Apologies but I just noticed that I didn't add "Compute module" to the title. I'm working on Compute module 3. Two UARTs should be ready available on CM3 am I right ?

ShadyProgrammer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:33 pm

I've currently changed "brcm,pins" of "fragment1" on this file:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... verlay.dts

to 32 and 33 instead of 14 and 15 in the hopes to get UART 1 working this way. I compiled it and moved to /boot/overlays/. Then I added it to /boot/config.txt . I am now able to communicate with UART 1 but unfortunately all I'm getting on the serial port is garbage. Is this the right to go about it at all ?

Also just to get some confusion out of the way when I research the internetz about it:

If I understand correctly UART 1 on pins 32, 33 is called PL011
The native (default) UART 0 on 14. 15 is called mini-UART

is this right ?

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:15 pm

ShadyProgrammer wrote:
klricks wrote:
Apologies but I just noticed that I didn't add "Compute module" to the title. I'm working on Compute module 3. Two UARTs should be ready available on CM3 am I right ?
The Mods have moved the post to Compute Module Section and fixed the title, they are great :D :D

The RPF web site have a Section devoted to CM: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... putemodule ;)
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

ShadyProgrammer wrote:I've currently changed "brcm,pins" of "fragment1" on this file:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... verlay.dts

to 32 and 33 instead of 14 and 15 in the hopes to get UART 1 working this way. I compiled it and moved to /boot/overlays/. Then I added it to /boot/config.txt . I am now able to communicate with UART 1 but unfortunately all I'm getting on the serial port is garbage. Is this the right to go about it at all ?

Also just to get some confusion out of the way when I research the internetz about it:

If I understand correctly UART 1 on pins 32, 33 is called PL011
The native (default) UART 0 on 14. 15 is called mini-UART

is this right ?
Just to double check - you are using the correct (and matching) voltages on your source and destination? The Pi UART is 3v3 IIRC- make sure whatever is on the other end is also 3v3 or you are using a converter (MAX232 rings a bell). Getting the voltages wrong does result in garbled messages.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

nixy82

Re: How to use UART 1 on Raspberry Pi CM3 ?

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Try adding

core_freq=250
to /boot/config.txt

ShadyProgrammer

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:06 pm

@jamesh and @nixy82

Adding

core_freq=250
to /boot/config.txt file solved the problem. I don't know why and would like to find out if possible why it solved the problem.

Also If possible I'd like to know how come the modification to uart_1 device tree file above worked okay without ruining functionality of UART 0 and how come I didn't have to do anything like:

gpio -g mode 32 alt5
gpio -g mode 33 alt5
To explicitly change the pins from being GPIOs to TX/RX as shown on page 102 here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/ ... herals.pdf ?

JohW

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 am

I had the same problem (using both UARTS on a CM3 simultaneously)

The UART1 depends on the system clock which can be changed by the "ondemand" governor. So the only way I found to get UART1 working reliably is to disable the governor. Here is my config, also with some explanations:

force_turbo=1
enable_uart=1

# UART0 /dev/ttyAMA0
# this doesn't wirk yet, the log shows
# $ sudo vcdbg log msg
# Failed to load overlay 'uart0
# and I had to set the GPIO pins manually to A2
# raspi-gpio set 36 a2
# raspi-gpio set 37 a2
dtoverlay=uart0,txd0_pin=36,rxd0_pin=37

# UART1 /dev/ttyS0