dan3008

3d Printer host software?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi guys, I'm currently looking at getting another raspberry pi to run some 3d printer host software

as far as I can tell, there are 3 main options:
Octoprint - Octopi seems to be the most mature, and well used (And documented) 3d printer host software for the raspberry pi. I've seen a LOT of people use it, and there is a vast support community, but very little in the way of information about what it actually does, or how easy it is to use.

Astroprint - A relative newcomer to the game, this is the software that runs on the "Astrobox"
as far as I can tell, there is a less active community, and no plugins for astroprint, but it seems to have more stuff built in, and a better user interface, out of the box... but that could just be me... The only review I can find for astroprint is on the astroprint website comparing it to octoprint, and in my opinion it seems like a biased review

Repetier host - This seems to be the "proffesional choice" but has a lot of features locked down to the pro version. Props to them, If I'd made a program like that I'd want to see some return on it too...

just wondering if anyone has used any of these? and got any advice?
thanks

Dan
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

dan3008

Re: 3d Printer host software?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:55 am

noone?

Well, I've decided to go with octoprint, and maybe write a few of my own plugins for it...
Although, I might try all 3 and write my own reviews too..

lohtse

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:58 am

Hi

We tried Octoprint but found it to be very lacking... Our printer (CTC Dual) was not supported in the slicer app included in octoprint so we still needed to use a pc for almost every print... as we could not get it to print from SD card at all...
Octoprint is great but we found it was only useful to monitor temps and watch a print via camera... so was a WASTE of a Pi..

Just our opinion as I know many others love it but we could not get any real support for our issues and was constantly told to provide logs without out further comment on them also no one had a better solution to supporting our printer other then tell us to get one that was. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
3x Pi-3 1 x Pi-2 1 x Pi-B+ 1 x Pi-B 2 xPi-Zero 1 x Pi Zero W and a massive ever growing box/room of bits and bobs for them!

dan3008

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

lohtse wrote: Just our opinion as I know many others love it but we could not get any real support for our issues and was constantly told to provide logs without out further comment on them also no one had a better solution to supporting our printer other then tell us to get one that was. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Like I said, not much of a support community... Still, I'm sure that my reprap will be supported.

(seriously, what kind of fool buys the parts and assembled their own printer for a first printer? oh yeh, me)

well, nothing to lose for trying... I want another pi anyway

scruss

Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm very happy with Octoprint driving my Reach 3D printer. The Reach is as close to a homebrew as you can get: it comes as a box of bits with a link to download the manual and some YouTube videos. It's Marlin (RepRap) based, so will accept commands from anything.

I'd recommend the Slicer plugin and the EEPROM plugin for Octoprint. The first gives you a fully interactive 3D build table (but only on WebGL browsers, so you'll not have much luck managing it from default Chromium on another Raspberry Pi). The second allows you to read and set the step/scale parameters so you can calibrate the printer properly. I only recently did this, and it means that things really do print pretty close to the size they're supposed to.

One slight fiddliness with Octoprint is that CuraEngine, its standard slicer, has gone through a whole bunch of revisions to its configuration file format with effectively no documentation. It may take a bit of work to pick a profile that works really well for you.

The great thing about Octoprint is that it runs pretty quick on a Raspberry Pi 2B (older model), and I'm told it's even pretty decent on a B+. When I added a camera, it was recognised immediately, too!
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

dan3008

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks Scruss
thats really helpful :)
Although, I doubt I'll be using the slicer functionality any time soon... I've just been gifted Simplify3D (My family clumped together to buy me a licence :D ) so thats one thing less to worry about

emgi

Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm also really happy with Octoprint. My printer is an Anet A8 so nothing like a professional device.
Athough it wasn't listed as a supported printer it was no problem to connect it.
The (very cheap) webcam that I had laying around worked as well which is really remarkable.
Never before did I come across a piece of (free!!) software that worked so well out-of-the-box like Octoprint.

Drawback: I'm not using the slicer option because it doesn't seem to offer the functionality of a Cura download.
What I'm missing is the ability to select between profiles and tweak the settings.
So I'm slicing on my laptop and uploading the .gcode files to octopi.
That works great when compared to fiddling with microSD cards, I really can't imagine life before octoprint.

dan3008

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 pm

emgi wrote:My printer is an Anet A8
I'd like to say that my printer is an A8 too... but the only resemblance it has to the A8 is that I got hold of a second hand ramps compatible control board that was taken out of a broken A8... (the board was sat in a box at my local makers space, and I asked if I could buy it, and they gave it me for free because it was in the "skip it next week" box lol)

Well, I'm glad octopi comes so highly recomended... I guess that'll be the first one I try :)

now, I just hope that my Pi3 I ordered gets here soon... should do, Amazon, with Prime delivery usually gets here quick lol

scruss

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:48 am

emgi wrote:Drawback: I'm not using the slicer option because it doesn't seem to offer the functionality of a Cura download.
What I'm missing is the ability to select between profiles and tweak the settings.
So I'm slicing on my laptop and uploading the .gcode files to octopi.
It can be a little fiddly setting up a profile for the GUI-based slicer, especially if you're happy working in Cura Software. There are plugins for Cura Software that allow auto-upload of gcode to OctoPrint on rendering, but Cura renders gcode a lot, so you might find they get in the way.

Cura Software ≥ 2.0 doesn't run too well on my Linux box, so it was easier for me to work out a config for OctoPrint's Slicer plugin than to try to get Cura Software running. Intellimaker's slicer software — Cura Engine — is a bit short on documentation, so there was some trial and error. Thankfully, if you have a Marlin-based printer, most of the defaults work fine.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

S_aver

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:11 am

emgi wrote:I'm also really happy with Octoprint. My printer is an Anet A8 so nothing like a professional device.
I really can't imagine life before octoprint.
How did you get your a8 to print smoothly, i have an a8 aswell, and a pi 3 b, but my prints are always printing really slow, like in bursts. :(

emgi

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:52 pm

S_aver wrote:
emgi wrote:I'm also really happy with Octoprint. My printer is an Anet A8 so nothing like a professional device.
I really can't imagine life before octoprint.
How did you get your a8 to print smoothly, i have an a8 aswell, and a pi 3 b, but my prints are always printing really slow, like in bursts. :(
Hi, I'm not really sure what you mean to say. What is slow?
Do you mean the A8 itself or do you have this problem only when using Octoprint?
Initially I used the SD card method but that was a real hassle compared to uploading the file to Octoprint.
The printing speed is not different when using either method. My Octoprint Pi is not even a Pi3 but a 2B.
I'm not using the onboard slicer with Octoprint, instead I'm slicing on my laptop and upload the gcode file.

mikerr

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:24 pm

I originally ran octoprint on a pi B+ with pi camera,
but found the printer would stutter when viewing the camera remotely.
I moved it to a pi3 and it's been fine since...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

dan3008

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am

mikerr wrote:I originally ran octoprint on a pi B+ with pi camera,
but found the printer would stutter when viewing the camera remotely.
I moved it to a pi3 and it's been fine since...
Thats good to know :D since its the pi3 I'm going to be running on.

Next stop, lighting lol. Its all well and good running a camera on the pi for my printer, but since it's in a mostly unsused room in the house, it doesnt get a lot of light... Ah, Im sure something like the blinkit from pimoroni will do the job

bensimmo

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:32 pm

dan3008 wrote:
lohtse wrote: Just our opinion as I know many others love it but we could not get any real support for our issues and was constantly told to provide logs without out further comment on them also no one had a better solution to supporting our printer other then tell us to get one that was. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Like I said, not much of a support community... Still, I'm sure that my reprap will be supported.

(seriously, what kind of fool buys the parts and assembled their own printer for a first printer? oh yeh, me)

well, nothing to lose for trying... I want another pi anyway
Just done that myself ,one of them 3 axis hanging things. Kossel.
All new and just built it. Awaited a new main board (have three now) one not taking the software errors on upload another a different board mks1.5 but no idea what to do with it (sent free while i awaited the proper board from China) and since the new board turned up i switched and updated the firmware to some new one that works in Arduino 1.8

Yep not got a clue on the hardware side or the printer side yet.
Two test prints so far.

Wondered what i could use a Pi for as the laptop and transfering to an SD card to print seems a bit of an arse.
Even though it's connected via usb.

Anyway, lots of learning. The only thing i do know is the old g-code. (Being a fully trained/researcher in laser micromachining. Just no jobs to use that skill up here :lol:)

scruss

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:03 pm

bensimmo wrote:Wondered what i could use a Pi for as the laptop and transfering to an SD card to print seems a bit of an arse.
SD transfer can be very slow, but it does mean you can print without a computer attached.

You really do want to look at OctoPi. It works beautifully!

bensimmo

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I will do :-).

It's all new to me, i looked from afar but it looked like a good time to have a play.
Arduino is new to me too so i have no idea what the boards are doing from a software point.
I just change some calibration settings.

I'll learn though, it's just finding where and what to read.
So many different thing and ways.
I have no idea which board I have is better or why.
Pi's are so easy and standardised.

I have an Anycubic Kossel (off Amazon) and their help has been good and they are patient, at least with my main board. YouTube video and build documentation was great.
But once it up and running and calibrated, you're on your own :-D
I believe from my settings it is reprap/deltabot - marlin in Cura

Return to “Other projects”