darkbibble

micro sd choice

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 pm

im wanting to get a 64gb micro sd for my PI-Top to multiboot on with raspbian and retropie. what would be the recomended card that i get?? i see lots of varying specs on them.
Q; How many Windows users does it take to fix a Linux problem??
A; Whats a Linux problem

DougieLawson

Re: micro sd choice

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:30 pm

http://www.ebuyer.com/702487-kingston-t ... y10g2-64gb
Comes with a free full size adapter and a free USB adapter for £22.40+p&p

Because the next step up in price takes you over the limit where (in the United States) you could buy a 314GB hard drive with buckets more space and a built in PiZC. http://wdlabs.wd.com/products some of those incredible WD products are available for shipping to the UK.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

KLL

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

the link not work for me but i see it here
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital ... B00KNUOLQ6
it runs without problems in RPI?

asandford

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 am

Samsung EVOs are probably the best cards I've used in the Pi, and 64G is just over £20 here without adapter, and less than £20 with

peterlite

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:45 am

Heaps of medium priced cards will read at the maximum USB 2 speed of the Pi. Very few will write at that speed. Even less will allow multiple short writes at that speed. For things like database updates, an SSD is a better choice. What sort of data will you write and how often?

HawaiianPi

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 am

If you want the most performance at a reasonable price, it's the Samsung EVO+ (EVO Plus) series, hands down. They aren't the cheapest, but they aren't over the top expensive either, and they will outperform cards several times their price. The thing that sets them apart is their random I/O performance. Most SD cards and USB flash drives are highly optimized for sequential I/O, but a lot of data I/O done by computers is non-sequential, and most SD cards and USB flash drive have truly horrible non-sequential (random) I/O performance.

Now if all you want is the most storage for the buck, there are cheaper alternatives.

For performance, the Samsung EVO Plus offers the best bang for the buck by far, and on my Pi3 the difference is very noticeable. I usually get the 32GB, and in the USA they run around $15, but can be found on sale for <$10. Beware of buying them off of ebay, as there are a lot of counterfeit Samsung cards sold there (especially in the larger sizes).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Beginners”