Heater

Re: What is this soldering aid called?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

W. H. Heydt,
Right up there with "every programmer should know FORTRAN", right?
No. Not at all. (Had you said "assembler" I might be more inclined to agree :) )

Human beings have been soldering for a thousand years or more. Soldering is still an essential part of our high tech industry. Soldering enables one to do so much. Watching solder flow and do it's thing is magical.

Not like FORTRAN at all.
You mean like my wife of nearly 46 years?
Sounds like what had in mind. Well done by the way. None of those magical creatures I mentioned have been able to tolerate me for more than 5 years or so.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DavidS

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Heater wrote:DavidS, hippy,

Hmm...remember those fabulous creatures called girls? Falling in love and all that?
Now what is that.

OH, you are talking about the 25th most satisfying thing in life :) .
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 pm

Heater wrote:W. H. Heydt,
Right up there with "every programmer should know FORTRAN", right?
No. Not at all. (Had you said "assembler" I might be more inclined to agree :) )
+1
Human beings have been soldering for a thousand years or more. Soldering is still an essential part of our high tech industry. Soldering enables one to do so much. Watching solder flow and do it's thing is magical.
YES, YEs, Yes, yes.
Not like FORTRAN at all.
Sounds like what had in mind. Well done by the way. None of those magical creatures I mentioned have been able to tolerate me for more than 5 years or so.
Lucky man, I have been stuck with one for over 10 years.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

rpdom

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 am

Heater wrote:
I'm just coming up to 5 years with mine. I got my first Pi a few days before our wedding. There were a few conflicts of interest there ;-)

It does help that we've got a lot of interests in common (Doctor Who, Terry Pratchett, good food, reading, real Minis and a load more). We try and link our interests together when we can - our Pi-powered doorbell plays the sound of the TARDIS when pressed. Another Pi has a database of her pets (like Nightshade in my userpic).

BMS Doug

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:27 am

I've been married for 5 years and we've been together for 10 (really, already 10 years, it doesn't seem that long).

I first started soldering 30 years but have had a long hiatus from it. I didn't really get it right until I got a temperature controlled soldering station (about 4 years ago) then for the first time I was enjoying soldering.

There can be impediments to enjoying soldering, poor eyesight, unsteady hands, etc.
I think that when soldering is taught it should be done with good tools, because once you have the skill you can solder even with poor equipment but learning to solder with poor equipment is very difficult and is unlikely to instill the love.

The Hammer headers are a good idea because they allow the Pi zero GPIO pins to be used by people who can't solder (for whatever reason, be it infirmity or lack of confidence).
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Heater

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:35 am

BMS Doug,
I think that when soldering is taught it should be done with good tools,
Yes.

When we were taught soldering in school it was soldering copper items together with silver solder and a huge gas torch. Silver solder melts at a much higher temperature that our electronics solder. This teaches you to be scrupulous about having clean surfaces before you start, the value of flux (applied separately), how to be careful with the temperature, and how not to set fire to oneself.

Or there was the half inch square soldering iron tips heated in a forge.

After that soldering electronics was a natural.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

hippy

Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Hmm...remember those fabulous creatures called girls? Falling in love and all that?
And it's even better when one's partner can solder, code, and project manage :D

W. H. Heydt

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 pm

hippy wrote:

And it's even better when one's partner can solder, code, and project manage :D
Mine can't...but she can write (2 published books and about 30 published short stories) and hold up her end of an intelligent conversation. Plus quite a few shared interests...SF, history, the SCA, science, books...

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:51 pm

What with price breaks and a dislike of orders where the shipping costs are a substantial fraction of the entire payment (*cough* buying Pi0s *cough*), I've ordered enough clip on heat sinks from Jameco that I'll be giving some of them away to friends. I will admit that Jamecos shipping charges on them are very, very reasonable.

Return to “Off topic discussion”