bob_binz

Zero W Mechanical Layout

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm sure this must have been asked already but I can't see it and there are no mech drawings for the W on GH yet, so... are all connector locations identical between the Zero & Zero W, or have they moved to accommodate the new features?

Thanks
BBz

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Zero W Mechanical Layout

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm

AFAIK, all the connectors are in the same place as the case fits both models.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

MarkyV

Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:34 am

Yep everything in the same place in terms of connectors and size - from the MagPi intro: "This update to the Pi Zero has the same small form factor, but crams in wireless LAN networking too."
My RaspberryPi Blog: http://thepimaker.online

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Im told the Zero4U which connects to the pogo pins, doesnt fit on the Zero W. Only on the previous Zero's
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm

startrek.steve wrote:Im told the Zero4U which connects to the pogo pins, doesnt fit on the Zero W. Only on the previous Zero's
Could be, the location of the testpads have (NOT) changed, (again) see: https://www.piborg.org/blog/pi-zero-wifi-bluetooth
But in principle this has nothing to do with "mechanical layout".
There are also two versions of the Zero4U for the first and second (with camera connector) incarnations of the zero, (for the same reason) so there probably will soon be a Zero W version too.

Edit: On further looking at the pictures I see that the location of relevant pads on the bottom picture (Zero W) and middle picture (latest Zero) are the SAME, so I made a mistake, the Zero4U IS compatible with the Zero W.

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Hmm looking forward to it, unfortunately, there isn't a good case yet for a Zero+Zero4u

Steve
Pi 2 running LibreElec Krypton, Pi 2 running Wheezy Desktop, Pi 1 headless Wheezy, downloading Radio, Pi 1 running Picore headless Media Server, Pi Zero to be an Old Time Radio Project. Pi 3 testing. Pi Zero W downloading Radio shows headless.

CarlRJ

Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:49 pm

The places where the layout differences will affect cases are where cases wrap very tightly around various components, like the PiBow case for the Zero, or any of the cases that have a cutout for a heatsink (seems silly on the Zero but they exist), since the SoC moved somewhat on the ZeroW. But the connectors around the edge are all in the same place. And the majority of the "hats" that connect to the test points are doing so in order to provide WiFi and/or Bluetooth - such boards won't be useful on the ZeroW anyway.

alphanumeric

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:56 pm

Pimoroni had to change one layer of the Zero PIBOW case so it will fit the ZERO W. The layer with the chip cutouts in it. The rest stayed the same so jives with the headers all being the same place.

There aren't a whole lot of cases made so your HAT or pHat fits inside. Usually it just plugs in on top. Even the official Pi Foundation case needs some modification to fit a Sense Hat inside. Mine did, I had to trim some plastic on the inside/underside to get it to fit properly.

jamesh

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:32 pm

With regard to the mechanical drawings, I hope to get the docs updated to include those as PDF in the near future.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

startrek.steve

Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:20 am

mahjongg wrote:
startrek.steve wrote:Im told the Zero4U which connects to the pogo pins, doesnt fit on the Zero W. Only on the previous Zero's
Could be, the location of the testpads have (NOT) changed, (again) see: https://www.piborg.org/blog/pi-zero-wifi-bluetooth
But in principle this has nothing to do with "mechanical layout".
There are also two versions of the Zero4U for the first and second (with camera connector) incarnations of the zero, (for the same reason) so there probably will soon be a Zero W version too.

Edit: On further looking at the pictures I see that the location of relevant pads on the bottom picture (Zero W) and middle picture (latest Zero) are the SAME, so I made a mistake, the Zero4U IS compatible with the Zero W.
Ooh thats good!
just need a nice case now and I'll get one!

Steve

Return to “General discussion”