W. H. Heydt

Re: any news yet on the PI3A??

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:21 am

alphanumeric wrote:I'm hoping it's the same size and layout as the current A+, but has the 3B's SOC, RAM and WIFI BT. I'd settle for the updated SOC and more RAM, onboard WIFI BT would be a bonus.
If it gets WiFi/BT, I'd bet that the LEDs will move to the other side (away from the GPIO block) the way they did when we went from the Pi2B to the Pi3B. Essentially, I'd expect the Pi3A to be an A+ sized Pi3B without the LAN chip and associated connectors. (Note that the WiFi antenna on the Pi3B is on the part of the board that an A+ sized Pi3A would retain.)

All of that makes me think of some other things that differentiate an A+ from a Pi Zero...power protection, audio connector with composite video already on the board.

CarlRJ

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 am

solar3000 wrote:Of course.
It'll be here tomorrow.
It'll be 8GB of RAM, built in 30MP camera, brain scanner, and a secret feature.
If the secret feature isn't a pink ponie or unicorn, I'm going to be greatly disappointed. I was promised a pink ponie or unicorn ("free in specially marked packages").

A 3A that is "just" a 3B with the extra bit of the board chopped off that contains the hub chip, ethernet jack and extra USB ports, would be justfinethankyouverymuch, particularly if it keeps the 3B's non-USB WiFi (thus leaving the single USB port open). A good board for, hmm, larger IoT projects - dedicated things that need some computational power, gpio, and a network connection.

As far as the far-flung future goes, I'm with W. H. Heydt - if they just add USB3 (or some other high-speed interface), I'll be happy even if they don't boost anything else. As long as they don't actually break things (e.g. "through a wonderful new partnership, we've enhanced the Pi4 so it only runs Flash now - you're welcome!"), I'll be happy with just having a faster data path from the CPU to the outside world, and I'll cheerfully wait for them to rejigger the silicon to accomplish that. There are many fun things we can do with the current Pi's while we wait.

mfa298

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:35 am

W. H. Heydt wrote: Even when the Pi3A launches, I think there will still be a niche for the A+512MB, just as there is still a niche for the B+. The B-series Pis, particularly the current top model, are always going to outsell the A-series, but that doesn't mean there aren't places where an A-series board is a better choice, so sales are likely to continue at a modest (for a Pi) pace. Remember that the Model A was (in Eben's words) "a failure" because only 100,000 of them sold. Think about how many SBC makers would give an arm and a leg to have a "failure" like that.

In any case, when the Pi3A arrives, you can put me down for at least two of them, even if all they get used for is Jam demos.
I wonder if part of that "failure" (and maybe an issue for the 3A as well) is the amount of time it's taking to be released. By the time the A came out I'd already bought several B's for projects where the A might have been good enough, the same may well happen with the 3A, there might well be projects where the 3A is a better choice than the 3B, however a year on people will have bought the 3B for those projects so won't need the 3A.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

Didn't want to answer this last night, given this morning's launch - but I was in the room when Eben was giving an interview to Les Pounder for Linux Format a couple of weeks back, and they talked quite a lot about 3A. (Definitely coming out, btw. Just not this week!) The conversation should be in the issue that's just out, as part of the Zero W discussion.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

bensimmo

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Yep a WiFi/BT Zero before the 3As, that's some going getting it all on there. :-)

My As can go in the bin now ;-)

solar3000

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:26 pm

r3d4 wrote:
solar3000 wrote: Of course.
It'll be here tomorrow.
It'll be 8GB of RAM, built in 30MP camera, brain scanner, and a secret feature.
Just the one secret feature :roll:
I expect a minimum of at least 3.1 secret feature's :|

There's a very good reason why I said "tomorrow". If I said more, my post gets deleted. It happens everytime. RPI foundation wants to keep secrets. But there's always a clue on the website itself - always just before launch.
Antikythera

r3d4

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:36 pm

solar3000 wrote: There's a very good reason why I said "tomorrow".
Ahh!! i was thinking u meant like "jam tomorrow" !

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:05 pm

mfa298 wrote: I wonder if part of that "failure" (and maybe an issue for the 3A as well) is the amount of time it's taking to be released. By the time the A came out I'd already bought several B's for projects where the A might have been good enough, the same may well happen with the 3A, there might well be projects where the 3A is a better choice than the 3B, however a year on people will have bought the 3B for those projects so won't need the 3A.
That's possible. But if you've done that, you can always go back and install A-series Pis and redeploy the more capable B-series where the extra features are needed. (Most of my actual uses are much easier with B-series Pis as I need keyboard and mouse attached.)

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:07 pm

liz wrote:Didn't want to answer this last night, given this morning's launch - but I was in the room when Eben was giving an interview to Les Pounder for Linux Format a couple of weeks back, and they talked quite a lot about 3A. (Definitely coming out, btw. Just not this week!) The conversation should be in the issue that's just out, as part of the Zero W discussion.
Thank you for that, Liz. I seem to in a minority in thinking that the Pi3A is still a good idea in light of the Pi0W.

And since you're "here", I hope you're doing well and you have an absolutely *fabulous* birthday bash.

skspurling

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:15 pm

liz wrote:Didn't want to answer this last night, given this morning's launch - but I was in the room when Eben was giving an interview to Les Pounder for Linux Format a couple of weeks back, and they talked quite a lot about 3A. (Definitely coming out, btw. Just not this week!) The conversation should be in the issue that's just out, as part of the Zero W discussion.
Didn't he say something when the CM3 was released? It occurs to me that the CM3 and the 3A are kind of in the "normal" release schedule, where as the Zero W is more of a "Wait, there's more!" kind of a treat. You have an idea of the purpose of the A and CM line, and they are directed at the industrial and educational markets, which are more business like. The Zero is more like something for the masses to keep us excited and a good place to have fun and innovate in interesting ways.

We expect the 3A. We didn't expect the W. And, remember, no one expects the Spanish inquisition!

skspurling

Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:17 pm

solar3000 wrote: There's a very good reason why I said "tomorrow". If I said more, my post gets deleted. It happens everytime. RPI foundation wants to keep secrets. But there's always a clue on the website itself - always just before launch.

Like the MagPi release is delayed???? :-)
If they don't, then something leaks. LOL!

DougieLawson

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:26 pm

Is it safe to assume that a Pi3A will have on-board WiFi?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

liz

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:07 pm

The market for the model A is actually pretty enormous, but it's not you guys: it's almost entirely industrial customers (who tend to order in batches of many thousands at a time). It's a bit of an anomaly, in that you're unlikely to see one in the wild, but there are a lot out there.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

W. H. Heydt

Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 pm

liz wrote:The market for the model A is actually pretty enormous, but it's not you guys: it's almost entirely industrial customers (who tend to order in batches of many thousands at a time). It's a bit of an anomaly, in that you're unlikely to see one in the wild, but there are a lot out there.
Now that you mention it, I recall that in Dec. 2015 they all suddenly disappeared and word got out that companies that make commercial LCD signs had bought up the entire supply. I should think that that market would be pretty happy to get WiFi on the Pi3A so that signs could be changed remotely. Then again, there is NEC with their CM3 enabled commercial displays. (Any word on whether or not those--and the CM3-16--have actually come out? That you can pass on without incurring NDA issues?)

Oddly enough, regarding your other comments, one of the things I try to do at Jams is have the most recently released products that I've gotten my hands on out, up and running. That has included A+ and A+512MB boards and will include Pi3As in due time. I also have some original flavor Model A Pis--scored from various sources long after they were no longer being made--to help when discussing the history and development of the Pi. I didn't realize that the A+ boards were considered unusual in the hands of us mere peons. I thought that would apply more to the CM line. (I have--so far--4 CM1s and a CM3L, plus two CMIO-1 carriers and a WD Labs SATA Adapter--of which I plan to get three more to use with MSD boot enabled CM3L boards.)

bensimmo

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:36 am

liz wrote:The market for the model A is actually pretty enormous, but it's not you guys: it's almost entirely industrial customers (who tend to order in batches of many thousands at a time). It's a bit of an anomaly, in that you're unlikely to see one in the wild, but there are a lot out there.
That's what I thought, It was a perfect buy for us at our school until the zero came along.
Basically it was compact and low power compared to the B+'s
The zero instantly displaced that but that came some while after we bought them, especially with the camera addition.
That is also why I mentioned that I thought it would be whatever the customer are demanding (RS/Farnell) since they know what is needed in an A size. I assume their custom Pi services are hopefully doing well, do you know if these are generally A or B format.

Anyway I'd still love to see a compact B in the A format, using 2 or 4 Micro USB and a microHDMI (not mini). Scrap the ethernet WiFi will do ;-) and it a damn big connector.

I wait to see what your engineers can manage to squeezes onto these things.

:-)

alphanumeric

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:44 am

Take a 3B, remove the Ethernet jack and replace the 4 USB ports with a single low profile full sized one. It should be just about the same size as the current A+ by then. ;) If you have time slip another gig or RAM in please. =)

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:00 am

alphanumeric wrote: If you have time slip another gig or RAM in please. =)
What part of the no more than 1GB Memory is feasible with the current SoC do you not grasp, you have been in these forums long enough ??
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

alphanumeric

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
What part of the no more than 1GB Memory is feasible with the current SoC do you not grasp, you have been in these forums long enough ??
Ok, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

No it's not feasible, "assuming" they keep the current SOC.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 am

alphanumeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Ok, somebody got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

No it's not feasible, "assuming" they keep the current SOC.
Why does every product launch or expected product launch have to have responses stating it should have this, that or whatever, this is a discussion about the RPi 3A which has been designed and ready for production and not about whatever crystal ball is being gazed into this week.

This is not aimed at you personally, but I am absolutely fed up with this type of crap because IMO it is absolutely not respectful to the RPT/RPF, who do a fantastic job within the resources they have.....

The RPi 0W Blog has 200+ responses and some of the crap posted defies logic, and the same will happen when the 3A is launched. jeez !!
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

alphanumeric

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:29 am

It's too early in the morning for this, 7 AM here, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.
Just for the record, I meant no disrespect to anybody, including the RPF. I applaud what they do.

That being said, they are tight lipped about any new product, and for good reason. So guesses, and I'd likes are going to happen. Get over it. And as near as I can tell, "more RAM" is at the top of the wish list. Many people were asking for WIFI for the ZERO. Some said don't waist your time, it will never happen. Not enough room and it will rasie the cost. They will never do it. Well guess what happened? ;)

rpdom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:This is not aimed at you personally, but I am absolutely fed up with this type of crap because IMO it is absolutely not respectful to the RPT/RPF, who do a fantastic job within the resources they have.....!
Agreed.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:25 pm

alphanumeric wrote:It's too early in the morning for this, 7 AM here, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.
Just for the record, I meant no disrespect to anybody, including the RPF. I applaud what they do.

That being said, they are tight lipped about any new product, and for good reason. So guesses, and I'd likes are going to happen. Get over it. And as near as I can tell, "more RAM" is at the top of the wish list. Many people were asking for WIFI for the ZERO. Some said don't waist your time, it will never happen. Not enough room and it will rasie the cost. They will never do it. Well guess what happened? ;)
You and others do not get the point that RPT are aware of shortcomings, they are not stupid, they are intelligent people. They know there are other SBC's and being cautious about future product plans is good business sense.

Regards the Zero W, RPT never said no way, it was a community no way...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 pm

alphanumeric wrote:It's too early in the morning for this, 7 AM here, I haven't finished my first cup of coffee yet.

It raised the cost....!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

alphanumeric

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 pm

jamesh wrote:

It raised the cost....!
Yes it did, and I for one am fine with that, as it gained new features.

Anyway it appears I unintentionally started an off topic debate, so I'll just drop the whole thing now, before the thread gets locked or something.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm

alphanumeric wrote:Take a 3B, remove the Ethernet jack and replace the 4 USB ports with a single low profile full sized one. It should be just about the same size as the current A+ by then. ;) If you have time slip another gig or RAM in please. =)
I would say this is a very considered post and not unintentional.......

Return to “General discussion”