jferguson

Re: New 8MP Camera - Q&A thread

Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:21 pm

I 3d printed the focusing wrench for the V2 referenced above. My printer (TinyBoy Fabrikater) couldn't handle the small size of the opening (a bit too messy) so I designed and cut two wrenches out of a credit card with my CNC router (I know this sounds obnoxious but that's what I did). one wrench (spanner) is to hold the body of the camera - 8 mm square hole. The other is to grab the lens housing. I found that i didn't need to hang onto the camera body. Holding the pcb was good enough and it took next to no torque to break loose the glue. I now have it focused close enough to 20 feet which is what I wanted for vandalism recording which will help us identify the serial miscreant who is stealing the sprinkler heads from our garden.

It seems to me that these cameras should be shipped with the spanner shown earlier so customers don't have to go through this charade.

Rado

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:58 pm

I ordered Pi Cam v2.1 this week for some experimenting, knowing about the focus issues but not worrying much as I plan to remove the lens anyway. But I didn't expect it to be quite as bad as it arrived :lol: See attached...
picam_center_out.jpg
Camera 1.3 vs 2.1 side-by-side infinity focus comparison (1:1 crop)
picam_center_out.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 9835 times
I took the comparison photo with raspistill on auto settings so there are some exposure/white balance differences. Both cameras unmodified with original lens still glued on infinity focus. I really feel sorry for folks who are integrating these into consumer products in larger numbers... Awaiting my 3D printed wrench now.

On the other hand a close focus photo shows great improvement in resolution and sensitivity of the new sensor.

Mrowe

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 am

I ordered the RPi camera module V2 and, like so many on this thread, was very disappointed in the focus. I did notice, however, that there was a round, knob-like object included with the camera. There was no info on what it was for. After reading this thread I wondered if this were a focusing tool. Sure enough it is! It fits over the lens like the credit card trick. I've added a photo. The reference mark on the tool (knob) was something I added. If you look closely at the (poor) photo you can see knurling as well as the slight offsets in the center hole that fit over the lens to turn it. Guess somebody was listening (or got the message when these were being returned).
IMG_1810a.jpg
IMG_1810a.jpg (56.62 KiB) Viewed 9730 times

olaffit

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:47 am

Same here.
I especially ordered another cam from RS components, just to get this focus tool. And indeed the cam came with this nice white knob to easily adjust the focus.
And, as many others experienced it did magic! :) :)
The images are now almost from center to all 4 corners sharp.

BTW a good way to judge the "sharpness" = resolution is by the file size. If you manage to do your adjustments under same lightning conditions the jpg file size is a pretty good indicator.

Just be careful when the center gets sharp you usually went to far and the sides get quickly out of focus. Then go back a few degrees. In all cams I adjusted I had to go CCW.

dcavni

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:57 am

Hi

Clumsy as i am i accidently scratched lens on brand new PiNoir V2.1 while adjusting focus. I tried to clean it with scratch removal paste, but it didn't work. I think picture is even blurier now.

Is there any way to buy spare lens? Does anyone knows the exact measurments and properties of it?

Thank you

Edit: Another option would be adding M12 mount and proper lenses. I wrote more about situation here:

viewtopic.php?p=1089525#p1089525

qwop

Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:23 am

dcavni wrote: ...
Is there any way to buy spare lens? Does anyone knows the exact measurments and properties of it?
I'm wondering the same thing. There are plenty of micro mount lenses M6 M7 M8 etc. available.
If we only knew the mount type, everyone could change the lens easily.

For example I found this site selling lenses for virtually any board chip mount.
The mount on the RPi should be one of these, but which one?

http://www.megapixellenses.com/supplier ... unt-lenses

Here's another company that also provides lenses for all these micro mounts:
http://www.lensation.de/products/

I'm pretty sure the RPi camera module has a standard mount that would fit one of these M-lenses, so there shouldn't be a need to mod it for a CS-mount if we can just figure out the original mount model.

czar1na

Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 am

Hi all,

I have a V2 Pi camera which seems out of focus. Mine didn't seem to ship with that plastic white knob that helps you adjust the focus. Does anyone have a spare one that I could buy off of you?

czar1na

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Still wondering if anyone wants to sell me their spanner (I am in California, US)

But also considering 3D printing my own wrench from the shared file. I do have access to a 3D printer, though I've never used it before.

I'm trying to figure out how difficult all of this is, as I'm not the handiest and don't want to break the camera entirely. Do I use this tool to break the glue holding the lens in its current position, or do I break the glue in some other way first? And after I refocus using the tool, how do I prevent the lens from moving & re-adjusting out of focus again (now that it isn't glued on anymore)? Am I supposed to glue it on again? :?

Rado

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 pm

czar1na wrote:But also considering 3D printing my own wrench....
I had my wrench printed from a publicly available STL file by a maker located nearby (using 3Dhubs). It isn't really a perfect fit, I guess due to the home-3D-print accuracy, but it did the job - I just had to hold it under small angle in order to get a good hold of the lens and break the glue. Overall it was fairly easy and risk-free.

Back in the day when the v1 camera was still a novelty, I used pincers and combination pliers for lack of a better tools, willing to sacrifice the original lens if needed. I almost destroyed the whole cam :) It worked in the end, but it was a messy job. It's much much easier with any kind of wrench, even hobby-printed.

I never had to glue it back, but I guess this depends on the environment. If the camera will be subjected to vibrations (in a car, on a tree, etc) gluing it back would prevent it from getting out of focus. Here's what I'm doing with the small CCTV cameras with M12 lenses, which were getting out of focus after few months in bird houses: I apply a tiny amount of grease to the lens thread so that it's no longer loose (this also prevents from humidity getting inside the camera). But I don't think this would be a good idea with the Pi Camera - the lens is much smaller and getting the right amount of grease without risking it getting down to the actual sensor would probably be difficult.

czar1na

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Rado wrote:
I had my wrench printed from a publicly available STL file by a maker located nearby (using 3Dhubs). It isn't really a perfect fit, I guess due to the home-3D-print accuracy, but it did the job - I just had to hold it under small angle in order to get a good hold of the lens and break the glue. Overall it was fairly easy and risk-free.

Back in the day when the v1 camera was still a novelty, I used pincers and combination pliers for lack of a better tools, willing to sacrifice the original lens if needed. I almost destroyed the whole cam :) It worked in the end, but it was a messy job. It's much much easier with any kind of wrench, even hobby-printed.

I never had to glue it back, but I guess this depends on the environment. If the camera will be subjected to vibrations (in a car, on a tree, etc) gluing it back would prevent it from getting out of focus. Here's what I'm doing with the small CCTV cameras with M12 lenses, which were getting out of focus after few months in bird houses: I apply a tiny amount of grease to the lens thread so that it's no longer loose (this also prevents from humidity getting inside the camera). But I don't think this would be a good idea with the Pi Camera - the lens is much smaller and getting the right amount of grease without risking it getting down to the actual sensor would probably be difficult.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Yikes. This doesn't sound straightforward!

My camera is definitely going to get moved around and bumped, so I would definitely need to fasten the lens back into place, with glue or something.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:03 am

czar1na wrote:
Rado wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yikes. This doesn't sound straightforward!

My camera is definitely going to get moved around and bumped, so I would definitely need to fasten the lens back into place, with glue or something.
Glue gun would do the trick, and blob should be big enough to be removable.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jbeale

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I have attempted to use a typical small, crafting type glue gun on very small jobs before, and have never been able to deposit a small dab of glue precisely as intended, without uncontrolled spreading over a larger area. You don't want glue covering the lens, and the whole camera assembly is small. After leaving the nozzle, the glue quickly becomes viscous enough that tweaking it with a toothpick has limited success. If anyone knows of a "micro-scale", fine or high-precision glue gun, I'd like to know about it.

Update: apparently, the Surebonder H-195 Mini Detailed Glue Gun has a 1 mm orifice. That is better than what I have now, anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-H-195 ... B00IA8WLQA

EDIT: I now have the above-mentioned "fine tip" glue gun. It's better than my other small hobby-type glue gun, but even with the 1mm aperture tip, the smallest glue blob you can make with it ends up around 2 or 3 mm. If you're careful, it may still be OK for locking the RPi camera lens, but a better approach would be to use a low-viscosity UV-cure glue which can be precisely applied with a needle-tip syringe dispenser. AFAIK usually that's more of an industrial tool, not a home-use thing.

rodizio

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Why do I get a different FOV when running

Code: Select all

raspivid -w 1280 -h 720 -fps 48 -t 0 -md 6
compared to:

raspivid -w 1280 -h 720 -fps 48 -t 0
Cam is a Pi V2 cam. Which mode is the cam using when not explicitly setting the mode?

6by9

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:51 pm

rodizio wrote:Why do I get a different FOV when running

raspivid -w 1280 -h 720 -fps 48 -t 0 -md 6
compared to:

raspivid -w 1280 -h 720 -fps 48 -t 0
Cam is a Pi V2 cam. Which mode is the cam using when not explicitly setting the mode?
Whichever mode it reckons fulfils the criteria specified and should give the best image quality. On the V2 camera that is predominantly frame rate dependent (which side of 40fps).

You don't say how the FOV is changing between the two commands. Which is bigger? How does it compare against -md 5 which should be full frame?
http://picamera.readthedocs.io/en/lates ... nsor-modes gives the neatest images of the respective FOV for each mode.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

rodizio

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:36 pm

Whichever mode it reckons fulfils the criteria specified and should give the best image quality. On the V2 camera that is predominantly frame rate dependent (which side of 40fps).
Yes, this was also my understanding and why I asked why there is a difference.

You don't say how the FOV is changing between the two commands. Which is bigger? How does it compare against -md 5 which should be full frame?
"-md 5" and omitting the "-md" parameter give the same FOV. "-md 6" gives a different (smaller) FOV.

I would've assumed it would chose mode 6 when requesting 1280x720 with 48 fps. If it is really using mode 5, what framerate am I getting then? Mode 5 can only do 40fps (?)

Is there any way to easily determine what resolution/fps and mode the cam uses?

6by9

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:50 pm

rodizio wrote:
Yes, this was also my understanding and why I asked why there is a difference.
"-md 5" and omitting the "-md" parameter give the same FOV. "-md 6" gives a different (smaller) FOV.
I would've assumed it would chose mode 6 when requesting 1280x720 with 48 fps. If it is really using mode 5, what framerate am I getting then? Mode 5 can only do 40fps (?)
Is there any way to easily determine what resolution/fps and mode the cam uses?
I think I've just seen it.
In raspivid/still, frame rate is set as 0 (variable) on the preview port, only setting the requested value on the capture port. You haven't specified that you want to capture any video (no -o <filename> option), therefore the capture port isn't active, leaving the camera running off the variable frame rate preview port. The request being made is therefore for 1280x720 @ 1-30fps, which matches mode 5 and that is what you see.
Add a "-o <filename>" and it should match mode 6.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland ... id.c#L1680
https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland ... view.h#L36
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

rodizio

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:45 pm

While that sounds logical from a developers perspective, it's quite weird from the user's perspective ;)

Is there no way of finding out which resolution, fps and mode the cam is actually using? With those kinds of differences and "corner cases", I always feel like "hmm, is it _really_ doing what I told it now, or not?"

sv_lary

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 am

reading out from the driver source
Where can I read the source text of the driver? (URL)

6by9

Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 am

sv_lary wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 am
reading out from the driver source
Where can I read the source text of the driver? (URL)
You can't. It's part of the closed source Gpu firmware.
There are a few imx219 kernel drivers kicking around for various android devices, but they are not directly usable on the Pi.

calvinle

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:46 pm

jbeale wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 pm
I suspect the new camera (also rolling shutter) works the same way with strobe as the existing OV5647 camera. Right now I'm using an IR strobe with the v1 RPi camera in video mode, and a 2 msec light pulse works to illuminate very nearly the full frame, even with a 43 msec long exposure time, with the camera recording video at 23 fps. The rolling shutter does not prevent this from working, the only issue is the strobe is not synchronized to frame start so there is a "split frame" image in general, unless you get lucky... or you use the software phase-locked-loop technique described here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=143820 to generate your own frame-start signal.

However, if you want to take single still frames with a flash/strobe light, then I don't know how to do that.
I wonder how could you enable strobe in the pi camera v1.
I have looked through the Omnivision datasheet but no clue how to get this feature to synchronize the flash.

StuartOswald

Re: Pictures

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 pm

caerandir wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 7:03 pm

And here the aforementioned magic lens tool ;) - you can see that there is not much need for accuracy, although I've the impression my lens came loose particularly easy:
Just in case anyone would like a quicker tip you can use the underside of two dotted cornered lego brick like these.

seamus

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 10:20 am
Mettauk wrote:Oh dear, I need to rant!
On reading the response from Eban I have now returned 4 V2 cameras inc 2 NOIR because they don't focus very well at all.

At well over £20 each for a drop in replacement that claims to be better, but which in most aspects is worse, I feel cheated.

I will canabalise the two I have kept and see if they are usable at and close to infinity.

Personally I see the encouragement to hack, learn, repair, alter etc becoming an excuse for poor quality products. (Slipping/detaching official screen. Connectors that don't work with the screen A B)

Rant over for now.
£20 for a 8MP camera module. Still cheap. But fair enough if you have returned them. They are supposed to be better, but as Eben said, this issue has only just shown up - nothing came up in development AFAIK. Production issue from what he said above, hopefully fixed soon.

No more rants from anyone on this please. Please keep thread clear for new Q&A.
If you can't take the heat, you should leave the kitchen! I do not like censorship... this is supposed to be a forum where people can get help AND express opinions. I've just gotten one of these sorry cameras, horribly out of focus, and quite resistant to being focused. I paid my money, and I get junk - so yes, I'm going to rant also. And if you don't like it, you can have me kicked out of here I suppose. Mr. Dictator!!

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:47 pm

seamus wrote:
And if you don't like it, you can have me kicked out of here I suppose. Mr. Dictator!!
As you wish.

jamesh

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm

seamus wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Tue May 10, 2016 10:20 am
Mettauk wrote:Oh dear, I need to rant!
On reading the response from Eban I have now returned 4 V2 cameras inc 2 NOIR because they don't focus very well at all.

At well over £20 each for a drop in replacement that claims to be better, but which in most aspects is worse, I feel cheated.

I will canabalise the two I have kept and see if they are usable at and close to infinity.

Personally I see the encouragement to hack, learn, repair, alter etc becoming an excuse for poor quality products. (Slipping/detaching official screen. Connectors that don't work with the screen A B)

Rant over for now.
£20 for a 8MP camera module. Still cheap. But fair enough if you have returned them. They are supposed to be better, but as Eben said, this issue has only just shown up - nothing came up in development AFAIK. Production issue from what he said above, hopefully fixed soon.

No more rants from anyone on this please. Please keep thread clear for new Q&A.
If you can't take the heat, you should leave the kitchen! I do not like censorship... this is supposed to be a forum where people can get help AND express opinions. I've just gotten one of these sorry cameras, horribly out of focus, and quite resistant to being focused. I paid my money, and I get junk - so yes, I'm going to rant also. And if you don't like it, you can have me kicked out of here I suppose. Mr. Dictator!!
Just......wow.

And on a 2 year old thread as well.

For anyone in any doubt, this is supposed to be a forum where one can get help, but not necessarily spout off your opinion. Moderators are indeed dictators on this Raspberry Pi forum owned and run by Raspberry Pi. Benevolent on the whole, which works pretty well.

L&K
Mr Dictator.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

codewalker

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Indeed. The RPI V2 camera needs to be focused. The hyperfocal distance is 56.6cm, given a 1/4" sensor, f2.0 lens with a 3.06mm focal length. The close focus distance is 28.6cm, far focus is infinity. I use the round cam attachment supplied with my RS camera. I use a focus chart, printed at Costco. http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin ... chart.html I use Costco as their printers are better than mine.

I've found out of 20 cameras I've purchased, some are just not sharp. Not out of focus, they're in focus, the image isn't sharp.

If you buy, test it right away and return it if not tack sharp. I learned the hard way.

Return to “Camera board”