nightster

Write some RPi software for me?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello,

I have a small project that I would love to use a Raspberry Pi as part of - BUT, I don't have time to build and learn the system unfortunately.

Does anyone out there offer a service to write custom RPi software? I'm happy to pay, of course.

I hope this is posted in an appropriate place and that i haven't offended anyone!

Any thoughts very gladly received, thanks!

Rob.

DougieLawson

Re: Write some RPi software for me?

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:56 am

How close to $750/day are you willing to pay? Because you won't get many professional programmers willing to do it for less (because they'd be selling themselves short).
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

barreinhard

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:06 am

nightster wrote:Hello,

I have a small project that I would love to use a Raspberry Pi as part of - BUT, I don't have time to build and learn the system unfortunately.

Does anyone out there offer a service to write custom RPi software? I'm happy to pay, of course.

I hope this is posted in an appropriate place and that i haven't offended anyone!

Rob.
Why don't you start with what it is you are looking to accomplish, chances are you don't need to pay anyone and can spend a couple hours to read on a project that may be close enough to your needs. Worst case scenario youll end up having to pay someone.

mikronauts

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:46 am

What DougieLawson said, and he quoted quite a low rate for a pro.

Expect to pay in the range of $50/hr (college student) - $250/hr (pro consultant for commercial work)
nightster wrote:Hello,

Rob.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

scotty101

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:59 am

There are freelance websites out there like "rent a coder" where you can engage programmers, web-devs etc.

You specify what you want and they will tell you how much they will charge.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

nightster

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:24 am

Thank you for your responses, but I wonder why most of them are so negative?

I'm more than happy to pay tthe going rate for someone to write this project for me. I don't want to learn a new coding language and I have other priorities in my life - so wish to pay someone for me. Just like I don't want to clean my own house, so I pay someone to do it. What's so strange about that?

Any other recommendations for websites where I can find someone to do this for me would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Rob.

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am

You've not given any clues what you want done. There may be a ready-made, no programming required, solution.

If you don't give details nobody can decide whether this is a $50/hr or a $500/hr project.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

nightster

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 am

But I'm not asking you to tell me how much it will cost me? I'm just looking for pointers where to find someone. Why is everyone on here obsessed with money? I guess it's because RPi was deigned to be a cheap computer, right? Perhaps that's why the money point keeps coming up so much. I am happy to pay the going rate, but I don;t need to know that right now. Thanks.

jahboater

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:00 am

Its a fairly unusual request. Most people enjoy the learning process and the satisfaction of building their own project. You will learn nothing if you pay someone else to have all the fun.

Anyway, Dougie is right, there may well be some software to do what you want readily available. So if you could briefly explain what you need, its possible someone will reply with just "apt install xxxxx" and your done. The Debian software repository has some 85,000 applications, though less than that will have been ported to the ARM Pi.

nightster

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:03 am

But that would still involve me having to build a RPi - and I don't want to do that...

jahboater

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:07 am

nightster wrote:But that would still involve me having to build a RPi - and I don't want to do that...
They come ready built and tested ;) If you mean the software, it takes me a few minutes to install Raspbian and configure it (but I have done it countless times to be fair), the longest part is downloading the 4GB image.

The OS has already been "installed" prior to release. You just download a copy of the installed system and write it directly to an SD card. You then may need to set up the WiFi and one or two other things, and your good to go.

DougieLawson

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:13 am

nightster wrote:But I'm not asking you to tell me how much it will cost me? I'm just looking for pointers where to find someone. Why is everyone on here obsessed with money?
Because the children need food on the table.

If I chose to do something for you I need to be able to cover what I'd lose from my somewhat irregular contracted day job(s) [tinkering with mainframe things for some very large Worldwide players]. I need to know how long the project is likely to take. I need to know that I can trust you to pay an invoice (I've had a non-payment happen with a RPi project - so I kept the three test-bed Raspberries that they loaned me). I also need to know where in the world you're located as mileage, airfares and sundry expenses (and the VAT) are an add-on to anything I charge you.

The crux is that I need to know whether it's in a subject area where a) I'm interested, b) I'm going to gain some knowledge and c) other folks are likely to request the same thing (re-useable skills). I've done some MQTT IoT stuff for another Raspberry user. I've got a project running, at the moment, with four type-K thermocouples and MAX6675/MAX31855 connected to Raspberries and Arduinos. Those things interest me so I'm happy to do that.

The same would be true for anyone else who might want your money.

If you're not prepared to give details of your project goals then as the Dragon's say, "I'm out".

Don't take that as rude I'd not be able to even start thinking about your project before May 1st anyway due to the stuff that's coming up in the calendar and by May 1st the rest of the summer is likely to be blocked out with another customer who's just about to start a massive project.

PiGraham

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:15 am

nightster wrote:But I'm not asking you to tell me how much it will cost me? I'm just looking for pointers where to find someone. Why is everyone on here obsessed with money? I guess it's because RPi was deigned to be a cheap computer, right? Perhaps that's why the money point keeps coming up so much. I am happy to pay the going rate, but I don't need to know that right now. Thanks.
It's about matching up expectations. As you say the Pi is famous for it's low cost. People do make similar requests to yours with no idea of professional rates. People want to know if you are serious, if you have the resources, whether what you want to is reasonable and how much work it might take.

You haven't revealed anything about the project. Maybe you feel it is commercially sensitive and will want an NDA in place to discuss it. It would be a waste of everyone's time to go far down that route only to find the likely cost is not viable.

The more information you can give up front the better the responses you will get. That goes for any request for help or advice.

Helpfully it has been suggested that software may already exist that would meet your needs. Some helpful advice on typical rates has been offered. It's impossible to offer much more until you say what those needs are.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

nightster wrote:But I'm not asking you to tell me how much it will cost me? I'm just looking for pointers where to find someone. Why is everyone on here obsessed with money? I guess it's because RPi was deigned to be a cheap computer, right? Perhaps that's why the money point keeps coming up so much. I am happy to pay the going rate, but I don;t need to know that right now. Thanks.
You are the one who said you were happy to pay, so it's quite important to find out whether you can pay the going rate. That's why the money factor is brought up.

So in answer to you question - yes there are people who would do the work for money, but without some detail on what is required, it will be difficult to find the right person, and also to price the job. If it's complicated, it could cost $10k or maybe more. If that is out of your price range, then better to know now than later.

It's not negativity btw, it's pragmatism. Get the facts straight up front, and you will get a factually straight answer much faster.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

nightster

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

Wow, this is getting out of hand. I have full resources (this project is for my company) and prepared to pay whatever the going rate is. It's a very simple project. I really was just looking to get directed to a website where I could find commercial RPi developers, that's all....

PiGraham

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:53 am

nightster wrote:Wow, this is getting out of hand. I have full resources (this project is for my company) and prepared to pay whatever the going rate is. It's a very simple project. I really was just looking to get directed to a website where I could find commercial RPi developers, that's all....
I don't know of a website dedicated to Pi development, but clearly there are developers on this site.
Wherever you go you will have to disclose what it is you want this software / hardware to do.

jamesh

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 pm

nightster wrote:Wow, this is getting out of hand. I have full resources (this project is for my company) and prepared to pay whatever the going rate is. It's a very simple project. I really was just looking to get directed to a website where I could find commercial RPi developers, that's all....
Adding this sort of information to the first post would have made the process to this point much smoother!

There are endless sites advertising contract programmers. Depending on your task, you'll need someone experienced in Linux definitely, past that you need to supply information on the task itself, in case there are bits that are Pi specific (e.g. Pi camera or something attached to GPIO).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

piglet

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm

@nightster, are you able to give us an outline of what you'd like built?

As you can see there's been a lot of interest in your thread here. It's likely that the people reading this here have detailed knowledge about this platform. What's not clear is the sort of thing you would like to have done.

With a little more information you're likely to get better input than a link to a general contract programming site.

While people here are (by definition) interested in pi computers if what you want to do is better achieved using another technology you'd get that feedback. If the pi is a good fit, then great... and it can proceed from there.

Of course as someone said before - it may be commercially sensitive to go into detail...

Return to “Wanted”