MaxK1

Re: Got a PI Zero! want wifi

Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:29 am

Churu_ wrote:I just looked into my drawers and found a Trust 2005 USB hub that worked!
Must have been horribly uncomfortable walking around with that in your drawers ;-)

Another solution to the single power cable would be to get a 2.5A or 3A supply and split the output from that to a micro USB connector and whatever connector the hub needs for power. Just be sure to check polarity and securely insulate the splice.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
When General Failure and Major Disaster get together, Private Parts usually suffers.

Martin Frezman

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:05 am

rpdom wrote:
Martin Frezman wrote:It looks very interesting. What is the status of it? Is it "a thing" or is it still basically vaporware?
Previous kickstarters from the same stable have been successful. I have no reason to doubt this one will be too.
Right. But "will be" implies "not yet", right?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

BMS Doug

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 am

Martin Frezman wrote:
rpdom wrote:
Martin Frezman wrote:It looks very interesting. What is the status of it? Is it "a thing" or is it still basically vaporware?
Previous kickstarters from the same stable have been successful. I have no reason to doubt this one will be too.
Right. But "will be" implies "not yet", right?
The kickstarter completed and there is a buy now link on the kickstarter project page.
So it's a thing, that you can buy.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:57 am

I've joined this thread a "tad late" but, FWIW, here's some links to notes of my experiences etc.
1) Pi Zero WiFi/hub combo's:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... ased_Setup **
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... t_Mini_Hub
2) Wired ethernet LAN/hub combo's (including tests of the DM9601 driver "fix"):
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... pters.html
Trev.
** My preferred solution.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

DougieLawson

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:04 pm

startrek.steve wrote:I doubt a Zero can provide enough juice to run a keyboard, mouse and wifi without a powered hub
Why? The 5V from the power supply is connected directly to the USB, there's no power regulation on the 5V supply on a Zero.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

I'll do your homework for you for a suitable fee.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Ernst

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:28 pm

startrek.steve wrote:I doubt a Zero can provide enough juice to run a keyboard, mouse and wifi without a powered hub, I tried mine with the above plus a bluetooth dongle on an unpowered hub, and it couldnt cope. OK with mouse and keyboard though.
Maybe it would have worked with a better power supply ?

AFAIK The power feed USB port is on the Pi Zero is directly connected to the power lines on the data USB port. Which means that a) you can supply power to the Zero on either USB port and b) that the data USB port is not restricted in power. I have driven an unpowered USB hub with three dongles and an ethernet port using a 5V/2A power supply without any problems
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

Return to “Beginners”