GoodOldJack12

Using a minitel as terminal. software suggestions?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm planning to use a Minitel as a terminal for my raspi.

For more information about what a Minitel is, google it. Basically its a terminal with a black an white screen and a keyboard.
I can only use the commandline so I was wondering what utilities you guys recommend in terms of programming and multimedia.

I dont have a clear purpose for this project, it just seems cool to use a Minitel as a terminal. so recommend whatever type of utility you like. Extra points for retro feel. are there text games out there for command line?

Anyways, thanks for any replies and ask questions if you like.

stderr

Re: Using a minitel as terminal. software suggestions?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:46 pm

GoodOldJack12 wrote:I dont have a clear purpose for this project, it just seems cool to use a Minitel as a terminal. so recommend whatever type of utility you like.
How are you going to attach it to the pi? Is there a way to get in between the modem and the system in a serial manner? What are the voltages involved?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:19 pm

GoodOldJack12 wrote:Hi everyone.

I'm planning to use a Minitel as a terminal for my raspi.

For more information about what a Minitel is, google it. Basically its a terminal with a black an white screen and a keyboard.
I can only use the commandline so I was wondering what utilities you guys recommend in terms of programming and multimedia.

I dont have a clear purpose for this project, it just seems cool to use a Minitel as a terminal. so recommend whatever type of utility you like. Extra points for retro feel. are there text games out there for command line?

Anyways, thanks for any replies and ask questions if you like.
Did you not find this Forum Post ?

viewtopic.php?t=44932
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

GoodOldJack12

Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 am

I'll be using the method described in this post

viewtopic.php?t=44932

(so yes, I did see that post.)

as for the voltages, the output to the Pi should be 5v, which a specialized board will convert to 3. however, I've read somewhere that the output voltage can be quirky. so I hope nothing goes up in flames.

also, know that I have very little hardware knowledge and just trusting the internet

Return to “General discussion”