iamharshkumar

Installing NOOBS for first time without screen or key board

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:09 am

I have a Sony Vaio laptop and want to run NOOBS for the first time on it.
How can I do it since SSH is disabled.?
Is there any other way to do so like using HDMI cable and laptop or something else?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Installing NOOBS for first time without screen or key bo

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:17 pm

iamharshkumar wrote:I have a Sony Vaio laptop and want to run NOOBS for the first time on it.
How can I do it since SSH is disabled.?
Is there any other way to do so like using HDMI cable and laptop or something else?
NoobS is an installer / chooser and not an Operating System and can be configured to install (Advanced Usage) your chosen Operating System without user input:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... /README.md

Even if you are using your Pi without a display, you can still use NOOBS to easily install an OS of your choice. To set up NOOBS to automatically and silently (i.e. without requiring any user input) install a specific OS, follow these steps........
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Martin Frezman

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Yes, as FotL has said, it is technically possible to setup and use NOOBS w/o a keyboard and screen, but one has to wonder why you'd want to. Note that both of the following are true:

1) The official position of the RPF is that if you use NOOBS, you need a keyboard and screen.

2) All of the benefits of using NOOBS accrue when you are using a keyboard and screen.

It is also true that if you're savvy enough to setup and use a headless system, then you're probably savvy enough to use a raw image (i.e., do the bit-copying needed in order to install a raw image).
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

mikerr

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:34 pm

If you want the pi to autoinstall raspbian on boot, then add the word silentinstall into the recovery.cmdline file on the SD card.

Similarly adding the word vncinstall lets you do the pre-install over VNC

SSH has been removed by default in NOOBS, and it's not possible to renable it without booting the pi at least once with keyboard/mouse.

If you need SSH on first boot without keyboard & mouse, the solution is to use the full Raspbian image (not NOOBS), and create a file called SSH on the SD card
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Troubleshooting”