pi3usuario

Digital Signage on RaspPi3

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 am

Hello!.
I have three Raspberry Pi 3 Model B for create a "Digital signage" service, but I have a lot of problems... My question is: Can I use (and how) Concerto or xibo on this model (with Raspbian jessie or Ubuntu latest release), they're compatibles?
Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

fruitoftheloom

Re: Digital Signage on RaspPi3

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:13 am

pi3usuario wrote:Hello!.
I have three Raspberry Pi 3 Model B for create a "Digital signage" service, but I have a lot of problems... My question is: Can I use (and how) Concerto or xibo on this model (with Raspbian jessie or Ubuntu latest release), they're compatibles?
Thanks a lot for your answers!!!
You will have to research if they support the Raspberry Pi ARM CPU Architecture.

Though Screenly was developed for the Raspberry Pi:

https://www.screenlyapp.com

https://www.screenlyapp.com/ose
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....

B.Goode

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:42 am

Other 'Digital Signage' solutions known to be RPi-compatible include:

Minimal Kiosk Browser: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860

PiPresents: https://pipresents.wordpress.com/

[Note how, in all 3 examples you have been given, that providing links to the software being referred to makes it SO much easier to check the details... ]

KenT

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:23 pm

Useful review of many projects here

http://www.sixteen-nine.net/2013/12/13/ ... l-signage/
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

mihalop

Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Check out Yodeck Digital Signage, a cloud platform focused exclusively on the Raspberry Pi.
Yodeck - Digital Signage on the Raspberry Pi
Free Raspberry Pi 3 Player for all screens on Annual Plan

Fuzztone

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Does anyone have a solution which allows for full management of lots of screens (over 1000 displays) ? I thought I had found it with Screenly but that would cost us around $8k/month. The requirements are to be able to manage all of them from an admin account, then create around 100 user accounts which would allow them to update the content in their locations only ? There is a lot of professional tools out there and I am now experimenting with the Windows IoT to see if I can get some (one) of them working. An Advantech TIC player is $500 (proposal under review) is a damn sight more expensive that a Pi and I would like a big bonus this year if I manage to save the company a few million Euros. (I will split it with anyone who has a solution ;-)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Fuzztone wrote:Does anyone have a solution which allows for full management of lots of screens (over 1000 displays) ? I thought I had found it with Screenly but that would cost us around $8k/month. The requirements are to be able to manage all of them from an admin account, then create around 100 user accounts which would allow them to update the content in their locations only ? There is a lot of professional tools out there and I am now experimenting with the Windows IoT to see if I can get some (one) of them working. An Advantech TIC player is $500 (proposal under review) is a damn sight more expensive that a Pi and I would like a big bonus this year if I manage to save the company a few million Euros. (I will split it with anyone who has a solution ;-)
http://www.binaryemotions.com/digital-signage
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Fuzztone wrote:Does anyone have a solution which allows for full management of lots of screens (over 1000 displays) ? I thought I had found it with Screenly but that would cost us around $8k/month. The requirements are to be able to manage all of them from an admin account, then create around 100 user accounts which would allow them to update the content in their locations only ? There is a lot of professional tools out there and I am now experimenting with the Windows IoT to see if I can get some (one) of them working. An Advantech TIC player is $500 (proposal under review) is a damn sight more expensive that a Pi and I would like a big bonus this year if I manage to save the company a few million Euros. (I will split it with anyone who has a solution ;-)
$8000/month seems pretty cheap for administration of 1000 screens! I presume the screens are at different locations and need to be administrated over the internet? Do you need centralised admin? That's probably the largest part of the problem since if individual sites could do their own admin they could run fairly independently with a copy of PiPresents or similar.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

dividuum

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 am

I'll add another option with the info-beamer hosted service. It has subaccounts (on request) as well as the easiest installations of any Pi based solution (just unzip to an SD then boot). Unlike other solutions it doesn't depend on a sluggish browser but uses all the hardware acceleration features that the Pi provides (OpenGL for rendering, OMX for videos). So you'll have a predictable performance, frame perfect control as well as 100% reliability as there are no memory leaks. Hundred days of uptime is absolutely no problem. On top of that the system is highly optimized for robustness. The operating system is readonly and the dynamically downloaded data is automatically verified and restored if there's a problem with the SD card. info-beamer is in development for 4 years and used successfully all over the world. If you're interested, just drop me an email. I'm happy to help.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

Copche

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I'm testing https://1play.tv, so far so good, they have an interesting feature ... group RPI's into big unlimited Videowalls

gtheo99

Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Copche,
I already tested this application. It is really simple to deploy and very easy to manage. I think it could be a strong competition for other solution from this digital signage market. I saw a perfect synchronization of video frames in video wall, which I didn't saw in the application of bigger competitors like Samsung, Philips, LG, etc. Can you tested old Raspberry Pi if are usable with application? I think if are working is a huge advantage for users. Anyway I am really enjoyed working with this 1play application and I will convince my boss to use this one instead of application which we are using now. Thx for info's.

trondis23

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:17 pm

At work we currently use Yodeck (yodeck.com), which is a very good alternative. It has plenty of features and runs very smoothly. Plus we got two players (Raspberry pi 3) included in the price.

gtheo99

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 pm

trondis23 wrote:At work we currently use Yodeck (yodeck.com), which is a very good alternative. It has plenty of features and runs very smoothly. Plus we got two players (Raspberry pi 3) included in the price.
Hi trondis23, you get free raspberry Pi only for one year subscription. At 1play.tv pay only if you are using application. And if you already have Pi3 is actually great because you can use DIY procedure and enroll your Pi in this application. Plus you can have video walls for free. Enjoy !

mihalop

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm

gtheo99 wrote:Hi trondis23, you get free raspberry Pi only for one year subscription. At 1play.tv pay only if you are using application. And if you already have Pi3 is actually great because you can use DIY procedure and enroll your Pi in this application. Plus you can have video walls for free. Enjoy !
Just to set things straight, Yodeck also provides the monthly option. You use your own Pi and pay monthly. And a Video Wall feature is in the works.

dividuum

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:57 pm

mihalop wrote:Video Wall feature is in the works.
I see that you use the LKV373A V3.0 for that. I have one of those laying around (great for low cost screen captures). So far I didn't have any luck getting 1080p60 with it. 720p60 is the only option that produces a good 60fps stream. So either you give up frame rate or resolution. Any hints on how to get 1080p60?

I took a completely different approach for video walls: Every Pi works independent but plays its content synced by the wall clock. That way I don't have to stream anything (and probably need an ethernet connection): You just need a synced clock, which isn't too hard on a local network, as ~16ms difference is still acceptable and totally doable even with WiFi. It doesn't require any additional hardware: Just 4 Pis for a 4 screen wall. You can install this video wall right now. A similar approach can also be used to allow freely arranged screens that play one giant video/image playlist. For that I render the video in a GL texture that can then be freely transformed. 1080p30 is possible that way.
info-beamer hosted - A user and programmer friendly digital signage platform for the Pi: https://info-beamer.com/hosted

mihalop

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:53 pm

dividuum wrote:Any hints on how to get 1080p60?
Have not looked into that deep yet.
dividuum wrote:I took a completely different approach for video walls: Every Pi works independent but plays its content synced by the wall clock.
We will be implementing this also, mostly for syncing non-video/image content across Players that are not part of a video wall and just want media synchronization. If it works good, it could also be used for the Video Wall as well.

Generally, we want to allow our video wall setup to handle any type of content. This included web, GL, video, and anything combined. So, capturing and broadcasting the video stream is better suited, since we can do anything. The idea is that you could set up the video wall with LKV373A and 4 Yodeck Players (licensed at a very low one-off cost), and use Info-Beamer (or anything with HDMI output) as a content Player.
dividuum wrote:For that I render the video in a GL texture that can then be freely transformed. 1080p30 is possible that way.
I remember from another one of your posts that this had inherent restrictions. Can't recall exactly now, but I remember you said something about 720p only. Perhaps I am wrong though.

dividuum

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 am

I remember from another one of your posts that this had inherent restrictions. Can't recall exactly now, but I remember you said something about 720p only. Perhaps I am wrong though.
No. You're right. But 1080p30 seems to work on the Pi3. It is definitely more work for the GPU compared to directly decoding into an dispmanx layer though. I think I read somewhere that there might be a different way to decode into textures using MMAL. But as that one has zero documentation, I'm not going to waste my time trying to cargo cult a solution.

vishu-Colloqi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 am

You Can also Try piSignage (pisignage.com) , signage solution designed primarily for Raspberry pi . Has easy to use interface , thus easy to setup. the hosting cost is 20 $/year works out to less than 2$ per month/player . You can try the full features for free and see wether it suits you .

Saad Mujeeb

Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Fuzztone wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm
Does anyone have a solution which allows for full management of lots of screens (over 1000 displays) ? I thought I had found it with Screenly but that would cost us around $8k/month. The requirements are to be able to manage all of them from an admin account, then create around 100 user accounts which would allow them to update the content in their locations only ? There is a lot of professional tools out there and I am now experimenting with the Windows IoT to see if I can get some (one) of them working. An Advantech TIC player is $500 (proposal under review) is a damn sight more expensive that a Pi and I would like a big bonus this year if I manage to save the company a few million Euros. (I will split it with anyone who has a solution ;-)
Do you still need the signage solution ?

Gangdog

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm

Yes we need. :)

B.Goode

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:50 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.
Gangdog wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 pm
Yes we need. :)

'Digital Signage' solutions known to be RPi-compatible include:

Minimal Kiosk Browser: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40860

PiPresents: https://pipresents.wordpress.com/

Screenly: https://www.screenlyapp.com/ose

and

Useful review of many projects here

http://www.sixteen-nine.net/2013/12/13/ ... l-signage/

Everything extracted from earlier in this thread. If they don't need your needs it would be more productive to point out how they fail to meet your particular requirements.

jakobant

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:40 pm

Here is one, https://github.com/jakobant/dasher

In basic started with the Digital Signage Player. There is not master controller yet, but the initial url path can be set with DNS SRV record.

The Pi initial configuration is work in progress. https://github.com/jakobant/piwify

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”